Shipping Dog Chile to UK - crates?

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
Dosedmonkey

Shipping Dog Chile to UK - crates?

Post by Dosedmonkey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Hello all,

I have already read the older thread on dog shipping out of here.
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/view ... tes#p96047

But I was wondering if there is some where good to get crates from now. Or if there is any meastros recommended in the Santiago area? We are going in literally two weeks, so I realise it is very last minute.

My dog is quite big, so haven't seen one in a shop yet.

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Shipping Dog Chile to UK - crates?

Post by admin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:37 pm

don't know about recently, but last I checked sodimac and / or easy have all size of standard dog crates for shipping.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Yeah there biggest size is something like 10 cm too small by air regs for my dog. But found a good website which was recommended by a random person shopping sodimac. Thanks for the recommendation.

http://www.jaulas.cl/

Going to try them. Well priced.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Update. I went. I talked. I bought.

Really friendly helpful guys, one happens to talk some English too it seems, you can collect from his office/bodega in Nunoa or he will send them out if bought online. Best selection and price I've seen after searching all over Santiago. All good quality IATA (air regs) approved crates. The ones I bought were Maxpet manufactured.

I recommend http://www.jaulas.cl/ for certain. Three years of trading apparently.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Good to know.

We move a lot of animals around the World both for friends and clients. I got a dog that still sleeps in his IATA shipping crate from the United States every night, and he was imported about 8 years ago as a puppy. It is his security blanket, and I am sure a cheaper crate would not have held up. We also have some really, really big dogs that come and go from Chile. Gringos like the big street dogs when they adopt, and even the medium size ones they always like to over-size the crates for long flights.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:04 pm

Think this is important information, I made this a sticky thread. Everyone else that uses them, please report your experience for others.

All the old timers on the forum know I have soft spot for animals. If I can with a few clicks of the button alleviate the suffering of an animal (and owner) in transit a little bit, totally going to do it.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:08 pm

In case you're flying to/from Europe with a small dog or a cat then Air France is the best option because they allow multiple animals in cabin at the same time.

KLM allows only one and LATAM doesn't allow pets in cabin at all as far as I know.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:33 pm

The UK has strict crate size, so they have to be oversized to allow space for moving around in, which I can appreciate. Tested the new crates out, and especailly the cat is more calm in a bigger crate. Now got the crate sizes, got to phone Iberia cargo tomorrow and find out how painful the cost is going to be. They gave me a very low estimate before in comparison to LAN cargo, so I hope its correct.

Is there Air France freight from Chile, or just regular liners? As there seats are cheap currently I notice.

As for pets living in crates, in the UK some people bring their puppies up in adult sized crates as training, I think it is standard for those who will regularly travel in crates in vehicles, such as police or search and rescue.

One other thing, DO NOT buy wooden crates if travelling outside of Chile. I hear you'll get stuck because to leave Chile wood must be treated and have the stamped certificate of course saying so. There is gigantic plastic crate on that website, it costs more, but is like half the weight. If you have more time then me before travelling, obviously this might be a better option for you, let us know if you've tried it.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:21 pm

They are cheap. We bought a big one in Australia to get the dog here, it cost us A$1000. My suegro's sausage dog now calls it home.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Just a warning, don't use E Plus Cargo, I will explain why in a few weeks once I have delt with them via ministerio de consumos, or who ever this gets appointed to.