flying back to the states from Chile with a dog??

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
gduenas7

flying back to the states from Chile with a dog??

Post by gduenas7 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I was wondering if anyone while in Chile has adopted / bought a dog and decided to take it back home with them??
We might be going back to the states and need to know what the process is to be able to take our dog with us. What will the airline ask for (paperwork) and what will the airport/ immigration, or whatever will ask for once we land in the US ( SFO, C.A), and approximate pricing if anyone knows . we have a 27kg Dogo Argentino .

Thank you for reading :-)

picalena

Re: flying back to the states from Chile with a dog??

Post by picalena » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Your first step is to call the airlines and make sure they will take the dogo argentino. It is in a class of dogs that are generally prohibited from air travel. To be honest, I would ask several times on several occasions, because the last thing you want is to get all ready to go and get to the airport and have them say no, your dog can't fly. Then what do you do?

After that, you should check with CA to see what their requirements are. Many states just require a rabies certificate, but it varies from state to state.

You will need a health certificate from your vet to get on the plane. When you call the airlines about the dogo argentino you should ask them about the requirements. They will be different if you are checking the dog as excess baggage versus shipping as cargo. Some airlines will let you check the dog, others only permit as cargo. On some it depends on the total weight of dog and crate as to how the dog can travel (checked baggage versus cargo). Most airlines have detailed information about the requirements and restrictions for pet travel, so check the website for your likely carrier. Also, don't know when you are planning to travel, but if it is soon, you may have some weather restrictions on the Chile side (too hot) or on the CA side (too cold depending on weather anomalies). If too cold, you can generally get a waiver if your vet will certify that the pet can travel down to however many cold degrees, but you can't get a waiver for too hot, because they will die. It will depend on how hot it is some amount of time before takeoff from SCL. This will all be on the airline websites.

I don't know how customs works with big dogs on arrival; ours is small enough to travel in cabin, so we have to take her through the special line at customs for agriculture issues, like the people that bring back stuff illegally and get caught or have been on farms, etc. Sometimes that line is actually shorter than the regular line, but lately that has not been the case. I presume that with your big dog they bring it out like all the regular baggage and you go through that agriculture line, but I have no idea.

Cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:57 pm

your either going to need to bunny hop up the continent on carriers that have relaxed rules... or find the dog a new home... google shows most big name airlines wont ship short nosed dogs, especially anything similar to a bull dog!

even banned on this one[ http://www.copacargo.com/html/user/defa ... 13&lang=en who i thought would be more relaxed!

janway

Post by janway » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:32 am

I believe you could fly your dog with Air Canada. They accept strong or aggressive breeds if they are in a specific crate. I was at the airport in Nova Scotia picking up a dog and someone had a Presa Canario on the same flight from the US. He was a rescue they had never seen before and for some reason they opened his crate at the airport in the cargo area and then no-one could get near him. The airport staff were not happy having this huge stressed out dog roaming about loose in their warehouse at night.

Check their website.

Aguila Blanca

Post by Aguila Blanca » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:19 pm

One other factor is time of year, and destination city.

We had a toy poodle, that my wife bought in Chile. In January of 2011 my wife and I wanted to bring the little dog with us on a trip to the northeastern U.S. Our port of entry was JFK in New York.

LAN refused to let the dog fly in January. Their reason was that there is no heat in the cargo hold once the plane lands and the doors are opened for unloading. I gathered that, in the past, they (or perhaps airlines in general) have had instances of dogs freezing to death while waiting to be unloaded and brought into the terminal. So we had to leave the little pooch with my stepson in Santiago for the duration of our trip.

I also don't know if this applies to all breeds, or only small breeds that are less resistant to cold. It's just one more thing to ask about.

gduenas7

Post by gduenas7 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks everyone, i guess i have to figure out the breed restrictions first. :-)

janway

Post by janway » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:47 am

Another thought but probably expensive, is to use a pet shipping company who deal with everything for you. An example is
Worldcare Pet Transportation.