Cost of a can of dog food

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
crysee

Cost of a can of dog food

Post by crysee » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:08 am

Hello! I was wondering how much a single can of dog food costs in Chilean dollars. It does not need to be high quality. I am raising money to feed the street dogs when I visit

Gloria

Re: Cost of a can of dog food

Post by Gloria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:50 pm

crysee wrote:Hello! I was wondering how much a single can of dog food costs in Chilean dollars. It does not need to be high quality. I am raising money to feed the street dogs when I visit
Chilean dollars? :groupjump:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

janway

Post by janway » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 pm

I thought i would feed the two street dogs in my area. They turned their noses up at commercial dog food as they normally ate raw bones or rice cooked with bones provided by several neighbours daily. Now i just put out a bowl of fresh water for them.

Here in Uruguay canned dog food is unusual and expensive. You can buy dry dog food but most folk buy bones or chicken carcasses and cook them with rice or sweet potatoes.

crysee

Post by crysee » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Chilean pesos. My bad. I am trying to start a fundraiser and I wanted to put something like "this amount of money will buy ____ cans of dog food.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

pnv

Post by pnv » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Found this list of local brands and the ingredients. seem like they are all the same. the ones they sell at the Vet are always better but much more expensive.
http://www.sernac.cl/32905/

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:34 am

I don't think the problem with street dogs in Chile is that they are underfed. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many. The problem with Chilean street dogs is that they are there in the first place. You'd be doing them more good finding them homes or removing them from the gene pool.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:10 am

ExpatBob wrote:I don't think the problem with street dogs in Chile is that they are underfed. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many. The problem with Chilean street dogs is that they are there in the first place. You'd be doing them more good finding them homes or removing them from the gene pool.
You can join lots of groups of volunteers who neuter dogs or try to find them homes - both English speaking and Spanish speaking (and other languages for all I know), or just give them a donation. Feeding dogs on the street is actually illegal (in Santiago, at least) and there is a fine. Not that anyone pays any attention to that. Most give them pellets as tinned dog food is usually too rich for dogs which are not in good health generally.

LGR

Post by LGR » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:24 am

You have a good heart crysee. Don't be discouraged.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:07 pm

In La Serena at least, no need to bother......the locals thoughtfully throw their rubbish into the streets so the dogs get well fed.

http://diarioeldia.cl/reporteciudadano/ ... rne-centro
Attachments
basura_en_carniceria.jpg
basura_en_carniceria.jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
Après moi, le déluge