Dumped dog story, but with a twist and a happy ending!!

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
Joanne

Dumped dog story, but with a twist and a happy ending!!

Post by Joanne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:23 pm

Desperate plee to find homes for these two cute buttons of joy. I found the mama strolling on the motorway, like you do. Long story made short, I picked her up, bundled her into my car and took her home, called her Spanky which rhymes quite well with manky, but she's not manky at all.

Anyhowser I found her a loving home with an awesome family,little did we know she had a few buns in the oven and 5 weeks later she gave birth to 4 puppies. The runt died, three baby bears lived and now two still need new homes. They are now 10 weeks old and ready to meet the big wide world and find someone who'll love them forever to till death do they part and not give them up when they want to move back home.

No pics because forum rules say so, but if you'd like to see them please send me a PM

admin
Site Admin

Re: Dumped dog story, but with a twist and a happy ending!!

Post by admin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:35 am

you can post pics. No rule against that, especially when it comes to dogs. We are very pro-dog here.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Of my three dogs, 2 are rescues. The small white and black mutt showed up at the gate one day as a scrawny, parasite-ridden malnourished puppy with a lot of courage. She was not intimidated by the 2 larger dogs and soon became the alpha dog. The large white dog was found alongside a busy highway, covered in burrs and fleas , with an eye infection and with his ribs showing. Having experienced the street life, rescued dogs are so appreciative of their homes that they show an amazing amount of love and protectiveness. If you rescue a dog, you will get more love and loyalty than you ever anticipated.
Attachments
1.06 dogs reduced.jpg
1.06 dogs reduced.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 2488 times

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:52 pm

They look very happy.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Rescue dogs are great. Unconditional friendship. We have a couple too. Ultimately much healthier also. Especially when fixed. Ours are somewhat free range. The breed dogs we've had over the years have always been vulnerable one way or another. Not long lived. Chile's puppy mills should not be supported. Way too much inbreeding. Very unethical, often cruel, business.
Plenty of cheap, genetically sound mutts running around everywhere. All they need is a good bath and some debugging.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

hlf2888

Re: Dumped dog story, but with inmtwist and a happy ending!!

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:16 pm

They went to raw a meaty bones and raw chicken diet a few years ago. All processed pet foods are full of grains which dogs are not meant to eat but this food simplifies things for the owners. But simple is not right. Knowing I was giving them the absolute wrong diet all in the name of simplification did not sit well with me. Besides, I was seeing too many dogs getting cancers and dying before their time. Once a week I buy 6 kgs of raw pollo cazuela at 700 per kg = 4200, 3 kgs pollo pana (raw chicken liver) at 600 per kg = 1800 and 8 kgs of raw beef bones with meat on them 500 per kg = 4000. Total weekly cost approximately 10,000 for feeding 4 dogs (I am feeding a 4th dog also, has an owner but owner cannot afford to feed him) or 40,000 per month for 4 dogs. So 10,000 per month per dog is not bad, and I know they are getting what is good for them and not just something that is easy for me.

The processing takes only about an hour a week, with Mom helping. We mix and package the cazuela and pana into 7 portions and freeze the portions in baggies. We separate the bones into 7 baggies and freeze them. Each day we take out a portion of meat and portion of bones for the next day. They get the pollo in the morning and the meaty bones at night. Since I changed them to this they have much more energy and their coats and eyes are shiny, and their poops are very small (their body keeps most of the nutrients, with processed food the body eliminates most of the food and the poops were much larger) . The Dobie is a gulper so I was afraid he would gulp a whole chicken bone but that hasn't happened. At least I know they are eating what carnivores are supposed to eat, not some toxic corporate crap. And they forage fruits and vegetables from the compost so their diets are well rounded. That is probably why they look happy. :-) The change was simple, I just asked myself, if I were a dog, what would I want and since steak was out of the price range... ;-)
Oh, yes, they also get beef liver treats instead of that nitrate filled jerky from China. Just cook few kilos of liver, and flatten, and cut into 1 x 1.5 inch squares and freeze. Un-thaw a weeks supply at a time and give one per dog per day. They love them.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:33 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
They went to raw a meaty bones and raw chicken diet a few years ago. ....Once a week I buy 6 kgs of raw pollo cazuela at 700 per kg = 4200, 3 kgs pollo pana (raw chicken liver)...
I was just looking at this article.

Farmers have for decades fed chickens an arsenic-containing drug that promotes growth,....

Roxarsone is still approved for use in chickens and swine in Canada, Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam and in poultry only in Chile, Argentina, Peru, ....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/busin ... .html?_r=0

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:16 pm

well, they are fine and that article is 3 years old. Maybe I will switch to rabbit. Arsenic cannot be destroyed by cooking, what about all the humans that ate the cooked chicken?

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:51 pm

It wasn't easy to find, but you might not have to worry:

28) Se solicita al titular indicar si existe presencia de Roxarsone (por restos de arsénico), como parte de la composición del guano de pollo, que incluya la fundamentación de la respuesta.

Respuesta:
No existe presencia de Roxarsone como parte de la composición del guano de pollo y este producto no forma parte de la dieta de las aves de carne.

Por otra parte, desde el año 1999, la Asociación de Productores de Aves (APA) en conjunto con el SAG, llevan a cabo de manera permanente el Programa de Control de Residuos en Carnes de Aves, programa que mide y controla Metales Pesados, tales como el Arsénico en las carnes de pollo y pavo.

http://seiaqa.sea.gob.cl/documentos/doc ... to=6206882

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:57 am

gracias frozen_north