How do you get your dog FROM the US BACK home to the US?

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
doringo

How do you get your dog FROM the US BACK home to the US?

Post by doringo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:38 pm

So we brought our dog with us into Chile with a USDA Health Certificate and that was hassle free. Now it's time to come back home and I see on the CDC website and the APHIS website that basically just a current rabies vac is good enough to bring your pet into the United States. However, upon checking individual state requirements it looks like the state I'm flying into (Connecticut) requires a valid Health Certificate to bring your pet back into the US. I still have the original one but it was issued 3 months ago and I'm sure it's not valid anymore. Do I need to get a new one from Chile and if so where do I go to get it?

Sorry, I tried to search for this information on the forum but returned nothing useful.

Any information would be great, thanks!

Donnybrook

Re: How do you get your dog FROM the US BACK home to the US?

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Can't help with most of your questions, but here is a thread from last year on the subject.
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic8380.html

We always took our dog to Argentina with us and the health certificate had to be within the time period, so I assume you will have to get a new one. The vet does it.

doringo

Post by doringo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 am

It looks like I'll just need a health certificate filled out by a licensed veterinarian and then pay SAG for a certificate to bring the dog on the plane, which they have an office at the SCL airport.. does that sound right? That thread really seemed to be about shipping a dog via LAN freight and I'm using American Airlines and not shipping the dog as freight.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Our vet does the paperwork for us. But yeah she certifies the dog is in good health and the rabies are up to date. If you want her contact info, pm me.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:20 am

Hi there Doringo. I just sent you a pm with the info......although it is telling me it is in the outbox I don't see it sent yet. If you don't receive it let me know.

doringo

Post by doringo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks a lot Lenny,

For anyone searching this thread for the information I needed here's the official website with info http://chile.usembassy.gov/pet-travel.html

Keep in mind your state may require something additional, though I doubt it anything above and beyond the rabies vac paperwork, the health certificate and the SAG permit is necessary. Hawaii, of course, is super complicated.

Joanne

Post by Joanne » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:08 pm

You'll need to abide by SAG's regulations and your states regulations. Check out this link for info on what needs to be done when leaving Chile with an animal http://www.sag.cl/ambitos-de-accion/mascotas

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Stacy, how did your dog qualify as a support dog?