Owls in Southern Chile

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Owls in Southern Chile

Post by admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 am

20200827_051740.jpg
Think owl stopped by to watch my dogs go nuts.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:53 am

bonus shot. we found this guy last spring in the grass. his back legs did not work, and we did not want him to turn in to owl lunch. he was fine for about a month and finally died. he had more serious problems than just his back legs not working. My sister in law had to get the kids a domesticated rabbit for Christmas after that.
20200827_052254.jpg

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Sorry tried to go through the science magize, but could not find the original article in english.

However, bottom line makes sense. Due to the reduction in human noise, there is a bird boom on because the mating calls travel further and also reduced stress on the animals.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Tecnologi ... iento.html

Now, the mating call, not so sure. The reduced stress on my wild animals in my neighborhood is really obvious. They have no respect nor fear for my authority. My owl follows my car down the road. I have at least 30 birds nesting on property. Half of them in the eves of my house. The mouse has taken up residency in my car engine.

I am looking for a cat, just to put the wild life in check. They are taking over.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:08 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:29 pm
Sorry tried to go through the science magize, but could not find the original article in english.

However, bottom line makes sense. Due to the reduction in human noise, there is a bird boom on because the mating calls travel further and also reduced stress on the animals.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Tecnologi ... iento.html

Now, the mating call, not so sure. The reduced stress on my wild animals in my neighborhood is really obvious. They have no respect nor fear for my authority. My owl follows my car down the road. I have at least 30 birds nesting on property. Half of them in the eves of my house. The mouse has taken up residency in my car engine.

I am looking for a cat, just to put the wild life in check. They are taking over.
I thought you had a car already, who also had a side job as earthquake detector. Although I may have read about it in some old thread. 🤔
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:50 pm

Same error message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct. " I shrunk the photo to 40% of its original size, I posted it on flickr, added the url in the insert image brackets and keep getting this error message. Maybe it is a filter for those who are not geeks? What am I doing wrong, it is great photo, just tryin to share... I am not a nerd

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:19 am

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:14 am
hlf2888 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:12 am
Inter-species friendship. Cynics would say the hawk was stalking the hapless chicken but the owl sat on Canela's back when there were no chickens around.

""It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct""

I give up, how does one post a photo? Easy please, it is great photo, also I want to post some animal pics in that post for animals
well there is a size limit of about 5 mbs, and if the width is wider than the length it will try to rotate the image.
It has been reduced to 570 KB. I have tried and tried. Uploaded to flickr... here is address. But I want to upload the actual photo, especially on the house-for-rent post. Please tell me how to do it without taking a course. https://flic.kr/p/2jLewWp

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 pm

o.k., amongst all the death and destruction these days, how about a happy ending.
IMG-20210114-WA0001.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:46 pm

so the story on that little guy.

My wife yeld at me this morning, "Manjar has a rabbit".

Manjar is a sheppard /collie mix, and is pretty good at catching at least young rabbits (european hares). I think he mostly stumbles across them. they just cut the hay fields near us, so the little guy was probably left exposed.

I have a policy: all animals are welcome, just no one eat the other nieghbors that live on my property. o.k., with a couple exceptions for like rats and mice.

anyway, he killed two young ones earlier in the year, before I could rescue them. I finally locked him up for a couple weeks to give the babies in the spring sufficient time to grow to the point they could out run him. The big ones, he never even gets close.

so this time I learned to not yell or scold him, untill I can get close and get ahold of him first. otherwise he just runs off with the rabbit because he thinks he is in trouble. never ends well for tge rabbit.

manged to force his mouth open and rescue the little guy. no damage, except a full dog slobber bath.

So I kept him in my nephew's and niece's rabbit hutch the kids have for observation for the day. by this evening, he was over the shock and in full fighting form.

my nephew and I took him across the field, and found a blackberry bramble where the dogs (and hopefully the above owl) can not get at him. It was raining tonight too, so hopefully that will help mask his sent a bit from the dogs following our trail in the morning.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:14 am

Yes, we have a similar rule, animals welcome to hangout as long as they are not mean....but it is getting a bit out of hand.

Poultry
We have a small poultry population that we keep only for eggs. Well we hatched 6 eggs and got 5 boys and 1 female.
Our kids ended up browbeating us into keeping the males.
Nothing else was acceptable to them (eating or selling). It was days of kids in tears. One daughter proclaimed "if they are born here they stay here!".
If only that was the whole story...we already had 2 females and a Male. So now its 6 boys and 3 girls. We were hoping the 6 hatched eggs would skew a bit better to the female for a larger daily egg supply.... wah wah wahhhh. More to this story on why we hatched versus buying female birds directly.

Cats
We were normal once when it came to cats.
We only generally ever had 1 or 2 cats. Then my kids wanted 2 kittens from the German bakery that they spied and played with when we had breakfast there before CV. The Germans were all too happy to give us the kittens. I resisted the kid/wife pressure for days I explained we already had cats. But kids wanted to have "their own kittens". I said our cats were there cats. I held the line for days, but gave in. So we were up to 3 cats at this time. 1 spayed female and then the 2 new kittens...a boy and a girl.
When it was time to neuter and spay the 2 new kittens who were now not really small and kitten cute anymore...a uniquely ill conceived idea arose in my family that the existing 3 cats we had were nice but wouldn't it be great if the girl kitten/cat who was not spayed yet had a litter and then we could just keep the nicest looking one from the litter and adopt out the others. I have been wanting either a mostly orange or white cat for a long time so I drank the koolaid. Then we would have 4 cats..danger zone but as long as we keep it at 4 we should be ok
Well we neutered the male and let the female have a litter. She had 3 kittens right around March/April 2020. Right when it became unrealisric to go stand outside of an el tit or lider for hours with kittens for adoption cause of the virus/lockdowns. So basically I walked right into that one and we got stuck with 3 more instead of 1 more. We did spay the mother after the kittens were weaned and then spayed/neutered the 3 kittens. S
So we are up to 6 cats that are actually "our" cats
But then there are at least four other cats constantly hanging around. One cat has a purple bowtie, another is a rascal who is really hard on the eyes and he starts trouble so I scold these vagabond cats that they can hang out here but they need to be sweet or they gotta go.
You wouldn't think this could get any worse

Then it did...one day last week or so my kids come running saying they found a kitten. Cue the eye roll!
Sure enough a little gray tiger striped kitten..had shown up and they were all over this kitten. I assume it was the neighbors cat...maybe family members cat visiting. Probably just drifted over and will leave
Well my kids gave it such a royal welcome it has never left. I tried to walk it back over to where I thought it must have come from but it just kept coming back.
Not only that it's a really little kitten. We thought it wasnt even weaned yet so surely a person wouldn't abandon a kitten before its weaned.
It was just really small...and it was unbelievably sweet. Just starving for attention. No fear of people at all. It had to have been born in a loving family and some how got abandoned or lost.
Once again I made my case that we have TOO MANY CATS
I said most people have 1 or 2 cats. If we have too many cats people will think we are "cat people". My kids didnt see what was wrong with that. I said it's not good having too many cats I can lead to big problems.
My daughter says..."No daddy...its ok to have lots of cats. I saw on the TV that there was a lady and she had a thousand hundred cats. So you see we dont have that many so it is ok"

I knew exactly the commercial she was referring to. Pretty funny how kids think

So now this new kitten is not a "principal cat" of ours but we made it a bed on the back porch and are feeding it and it plays all day long with my other 6 principal cats and the 4 vagabond cats and now this guy who is in some kind of guest status.
When we come back from walks in the forest the cats are usually lined up like an entourage on the path back to our house. It feels like this is some kind of odd feline Noah's ark. Helps a lot with the rodents and radiator hose replacements obviously.