International Pet Travel Within Mercosur

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
vamoschile

International Pet Travel Within Mercosur

Post by vamoschile » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:20 pm

My wife and I are wanting to do a road trip south and cross into Argentina a couple times on the way down. We have a dog we would like to bring with us. The dog is oringially from the states and we brought her down her and did all the aduana stuff to make her legal here. I was curious if anyone knew the rules for transporting your dog in your car back and forth the Argentina boarder or any Mercosur boarder. How complex is it to take your dog back and forth? Has anyone done this before and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

tiagoabner

Re: International Pet Travel Within Mercosur

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:11 pm

This page has absolutely everything that you need to know about how to leave Chile with your pet: https://www.sag.gob.cl/ambitos-de-accio ... -y-hurones

Certificates issued in Chile are usually valid for return to the country within 30 or 60 days (depending on the species). If you stay longer than that you will need to get a permit to get the pet from the other country (IE. Argentina) to Chile. The SAG Quinta Normal handles requests for Region Metropolitana, and they're helpful. It may be worth visiting them or calling to get more information.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:26 pm

I’ve taken my dog to Argentina a number of times, not sure about other countries. The last time was probably 5 years ago so the tramite may have changed.

First your dog needs to be current in vaccinations with paperwork showing dates and type of immunizations. Second you need a health certificate signed by a vet. you then take both documents to a SAG office and they issue a travel document for your dog which will allow entry to Argentina and re-entry to Chile within a period of 10 days. If you stay out of Chile more than 10 days you repeat the process in Argentina. So if you were to travel for 30 days, you would need to do this process a total of 3 times. There is also a cost, the amount I can't remember.

Finding a SAG office with a person who can issue the document can be difficult especially in smaller towns in the south. it normally takes two days to complete the process because in my experiences SAG has taken more than one visit to complete the tramite. The first day to deliver the papers and the second day to pick up the signed travel document.

Imop, it’s a giant bureaucratic hassle of the kind for which Chile is notorious. I finally just stopped taking my dog with me.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 am

vamoschile wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:20 pm
My wife and I are wanting to do a road trip south and cross into Argentina a couple times on the way down. We have a dog we would like to bring with us. The dog is oringially from the states and we brought her down her and did all the aduana stuff to make her legal here. I was curious if anyone knew the rules for transporting your dog in your car back and forth the Argentina boarder or any Mercosur boarder. How complex is it to take your dog back and forth? Has anyone done this before and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!
my wife and I almost took our two dogs with us to do the run down the Patagonia to the tip of south america. at the last moment we decided to leave them home.

Don't do it. It would have been a mega hassel. some of those boarder crossings have lines out the doors, and tour buses stacked up in the parking lot. we had to sometimes cross twice a day. It was painful enough, without needing to process the dog.

that is besides issues finding places to stay.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:51 pm

We used to do it but going from our home here to a home there. We would stop a night somewhere in Chile on the way. The number of places which would allow even a small dog (7 kilos) were very limited and dictated where we could stop. Leaving the dog in our room or cabin when we went to eat became stressful, hoping no one would open the door to leave towels and she would bolt or that the usually well behaved dog would get stressed and bark non-stop. That was just for one night. I suggest you find somewhere to leave your dog, there are good ones out there, or get someone to house sit/dog sit.