Does anyone have Dogo Argentino dogs?

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
mem

Does anyone have Dogo Argentino dogs?

Post by mem » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 am

The Dogos have been mentioned in a few threads. My kids are pressuring me to get a dog which wife and I do not want as we have enough animals to care for as is.

So I thought back to the Dogo related comments and thought well if we do get a dog let's get one of those so it is at least serving a long term purpose as guard dog. I know that we would need to get a puppy in order to let it grow up around the existing animals (chickens, ducks, cat, rabbits, etc) so it sees them as familiar including our children of course

I showed my wife a picture of a dogo and she scowled saying they are not nice looking. I mentioned they would be great security and they know familiar from unfamiliar people. That they are banned in a dozen countries, built like a leopard, etc.

She then asked what about kids coming over for a birthday party or playdate...will the dogo attack an acquaintance or kid coming for a visit, etc?

I know these dogos require serious management and strong leadership...I'm just curious if anyone here has owned them personally, raised from puppy, etc. Any tips or cautionary tales?

Gloria

Re: Does anyone have Dogo Argentino dogs?

Post by Gloria » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 am

Training is key to owning an aggressive dog. As you said "these dogos require serious management and strong leadership". If you don´t have the character for it, the dog will cause chaos and nothing good will come out of it. Some dogs not matter how much you train them, don´t have the tolerance with kids. I would suggest to look for a yellow lab instead.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:21 am

It looks like a slightly larger pit bull which is known for killing little kids and chewing owners to death.
Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66% of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.
A 5-year study conducted by the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia found that 50.9% of the dog bites were from pit bulls. In total, there were 30 dog breeds involved in the dog bites during that time. The next most common occurrence was from Rottweilers at just 8.9% of the time.
20180914_Deadly_Dogs_Forbes.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm

personally, i will never own another purebred anything. nature has a better breeding program. every purebred i have ever owned had some sort of problem, including psychological issues compared to the muts. even muts that came from relatively abusive backgrounds, seemed to make better more stable pets.

guard dogs i am against. what you have to do to a dog (and the owner) to make a competant guard dog is both inhuman and incompatiable with kids and families. in most cases people are at best just abusing a dog, when they think they are "training" it to be a guard dog.

besides the thieves here are generally intimdated by labradors and poodles. so no need to go overboard with it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:54 pm

If you have an aggressive guard dog, it must be contained in your fenced yard and kennelled when strangers are around......simple to do.....
It's all about the wine.