New law on keeping pets

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
Britkid

Re: New law on keeping pets

Post by Britkid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 am
I see this unconditional defence of uncontrolled domestic animals by "Animal Rights" groups is often more against humans rather than for animals. Whether these people care, or even notice the problems that their habits and attitudes cause is a moot point, but I believe that many do take a perverse pleasure in creating a nuisance, and are not interested in animal welfare, its just another excuse to create mayhem.

A few years ago in P. Arenas, an Animal Rights lumpenmob invaded the cathedral during a service on a specious pretext.
As the pics show, its possible to defend animals and have a good time as well.
Only a very tiny minority of animal rights protestors don't care about animals, that is very unfair. Any protest group on any cause will have a small minority of people in it for dubious reasons. It makes no more sense to condemn the cause for that reason, that it does to support racism because a minority of Black Lives Matter protestors are violent.

The real issue with the animal rights movement is that they are a small, fringe movement. When you start very small, it is hard to get people on your side, especially when you are basically protesting against society at large. Feminists had to be put up with exactly these type of mischaracterizations for years, people focusing on the few dubious aspects of some feminists or some protestors before we eventually all jumped on the bandwagon in the most recent years and decades and now everyone wants to say that they are a feminist. The same will happen for animal rights.

Almost all animal rights protestors are peaceful, and most of them would condemn the violence and vandalism and offensive attacks on the cathedral. This is not representative of such groups in general.

On Saturday at 4pm there is a protest in favour of animal rights at Paseo Ahumada in Santiago. Assuming, like most such protests, that it stays peaceful, you won't even know it happened because no news will report on it. But if there are any violent clashes it's more likely to get reported on. Probably >50% of the coverage of protests (of any type) is of the 1% of protests that are violent.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

I think that you might be quoting the revised edition, and not the one that was originally proposed and rejected.
This page seems to have a link to the original document, but I can't get it to display.

http://www.t13.cl/noticia/nacional/mins ... de-hogares
Yeah, I used that link but it has an embedded pdf. This is the actual pdf document I quoted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1brdF2N ... 4xeEb/view

Pretty modest and reasonable proposals IMHO.
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:06 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Pretty modest and reasonable proposals IMHO.

As I said, it seems that you are looking at a revised edition. There are enough articles to indicate that the original had serious problems, and was not what you are describing as 'pretty modest and reasonable proposals'.

Ministerio detalló los artículos retirados

Tras el revuelo provocado, el Ministerio de Salud explicó este miércoles los artículos más polémicos que retiró del instructivo.

De acuerdo a lo informado por la cartera, quedan fuera la exigencia de los 100 metros cuadrados para tener una mascota, la eutanasia, las multas por alimentar animales callejeros y la disposición de que sólo un mayor de 18 años pueda pasear a su perro.

http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/pais ... 45541.html

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 pm

It was a proposal. For discussion. So they changed it. Its still only a proposal. It may get changed again, and will
probably eventually get dropped completely.

What do you think about this, presumably revised, proposal ?
Après moi, le déluge

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm
From a sanitary aspect, I find that cats are worse than dogs. At least dogshit gets sporadically collected, or spread around on pedestrian shoes. But in my town catshit on the rooftops remains intact and undisturbed, providing an excellent breeding ground for flies. Last year I paid a guy to scrape several buckets full off my roofs. Unfortunately nobody else here seems to be aware the problem even exists. Its friggin mediaeval here, still.
Amen to that. Aside from the dogs I also get an invasion of neighbourhood cats. These cats belong to people but are allowed to roam anywhere and everywhere. They have not had vaccinations, have not been neutered. They come into the house in summer and I have found them upstairs, on the kitchen counter, spraying the dining room curtains. When approached about the problem, the neighbour next door said I should close my windows.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 pm

How difficult would be to have made screen windows and a summer screen door to keep the critters out? Would be a good idea to keep near a spray bottle with vinegar, citrus oils, lavander even garlic.I also have another solution but I don' t think you'll going to like it..... :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 pm
How difficult would be to have made screen windows and a summer screen door to keep the critters out? Would be a good idea to keep near a spray bottle with vinegar, citrus oils, lavander even garlic.I also have another solution but I don' t think you'll going to like..... :D
I have two solutions. This is the first one. Only works one time per cat though.
IMG_0813a.jpg
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:22 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm
Gloria wrote:
How difficult would be to have made screen windows and a summer screen door to keep the critters out? Would be a good idea to keep near a spray bottle with vinegar, citrus oils, lavander even garlic.I also have another solution but I don' t think you'll going to like..... :D
I have two solutions. This is the first one. Only works one time per cat though.

IMG_0813a.jpg
And what's the other?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:22 pm

And what's the other?
I counsel the animal, pointing out that his freedom of action stops where my Rights commence. I suggest that he adopt a more civilized attitude to life, one that doesn't involve killing our garden birds and shitting and pissing everywhere, and that he earn his living as a useful and respected member of society by catching vermin like rats and mice.
Gloria wrote:
I also have another solution but I don' t think you'll going to like it..... :D
Umm, so have I. What's yours?
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 pm
Gloria wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:22 pm

And what's the other?
I counsel the animal, pointing out that his freedom of action stops where my Rights commence. I suggest that he adopt a more civilized attitude to life, one that doesn't involve killing our garden birds and shitting and pissing everywhere, and that he earn his living as a useful and respected member of society by catching vermin like rats and mice.
Gloria wrote:
I also have another solution but I don' t think you'll going to like it..... :D
Umm, so have I. What's yours?
Mine? Well......I would like to contribute to humanity by calling the nearest Chinese restaurant and let them put it in the menu as "General Po's Spicy, Extra Crispy Kitty Fingers Delight".

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:13 pm

I don't suppose there is much good in mentioning the rights of humans..... Truly, it's not the number or type of pets, it's the behavior of their owners. If any given 20 dogs or cats are well cared for and taught manners - fine! The problem is the trashy people wh get the cute puppy or kitty, don't bother to teach it manners or house break it, and then abandon it in the street when they're tired of cleaning up the house. Those abandoned animals run wild -- not too much fun for the civilians. i was bitten by a street dog in Valpo and had to take the five shot rabies course. I've spent days, weeks, months sleepless because some pompous asshole refuses to teach his fog not to bark, or worse, leaves it alone all day to bark bark bark.... Best bet in my humble opinion who be to fine the owners of pets who caused problems rather than make silly rules on numbers.... Never happen tho. Can't have people being responsible for their stuff. Sigh.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Gloria wrote:
How difficult would be to have made screen windows and a summer screen door to keep the critters out? Would be a good idea to keep near a spray bottle with vinegar, citrus oils, lavander even garlic.I also have another solution but I don' t think you'll going to like it..... :D
I've tried it all. I even have toy gun with plastic pellet bullets.

Actually, I think I would like your other solution very much.

Fraggle's idea of screens on doors and windows may be a good one but I don't see why I should make a major investment just because my neighbour belongs to the "Viva Yo!" fan club.