All Things Thanksgiving

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
momof3

All Things Thanksgiving

Post by momof3 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Its that time of year again. Feel free to post links to the previous threads on topics related to it.
Where can an expat go on Thanksgiving for a traditional meal?
Pumpkin pie. What? You need to pay a mule on LAN to get some?
Turkey. Full of hormones or organic? Which store?
Cranberry in a can. No , not Craisins, the jellified stuff that retains its cylindrical shape after removal.
Substitutions for everything because you don't live next to Jumbo in Santiasco.
Deep fried turkey. Been there. Want to go back.

Discuss...
We agree to disagree.

ExpatBob

Re: All Things Thanksgiving

Post by ExpatBob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:01 pm

I actually prefer the canned jellylike cranberry "sauce" that makes obscene noises as you shake it out of the can, to the fresh stuff.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 am

Time to shop. It is going to cost to get things which are not run of the mill products here, but it is once a year, right?

Behind the Lider which is at the Cobres de Vitacura shopping complex there is a bakery called De Tartas yTortas. Order their pumpkin pie. Yes, you can make one yourself with local pumpkin and do a fine job too. But the days are hot now and these ladies do a fine job.
http://detartasytortas.cl

Mom3, you are going to have to go on a safari from the safe confines of Chicureo. Start looking in Jumbos and Liders. I got that cranberry sauce in a tin which makes the happy noise for ExpatBob. It will be about $1,500. Worth it for that noise. Choices are usually that Walmart brand or Ocean Spray. Jumbo has it on the aisle with the tinned fruit. Lider hides it almost anywhere.

There are places which have an organised get together for Thanksgiving but of the two I know, one is a church and one is a private organisation. There is no reason a few people on here can't get together with everyone bringing a dish. Those are the best Thanksgivings. Someone just has to lend a place.

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 am

If you make stuffing (or dressing) be sure to get your celery now as it will disappear very soon!

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 am

I just brought a frozen turkey from http://www.ensucasa.cl/ along with alot of other things,

works out a bit cheaper than the supermarkets!, plan on getting hte pies from the bakery suggested bellow,

just need to find the cranberry stuff now, car needs a clean, so will hit jumbo up at la reina this week (car cleaners there are cheap, fast and good in the car parks)

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:51 am

Just came back from Jumbo Alto las Condes. Ocean Spray, good until Feb 2013, top shelf on the aisle with the tinned fruit. $1590 a tin. There were about 40 tins. They are bound to have it in other Jumbos too.

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:43 pm

Stupid but important question. Do sweet potatoes exist here in Chile and do I have to go to Chiloe to get them if they do? These are an important part of our Thanksgiving and I would really like to have fresh ones if possible. We don't like in Santiago, so I am asking more as to the south of Chile if they are here. I have never seen them where we are. There is nothing that says thanksgiving for us like candied sweet potatoes.

Well, except spicy cornbread dressing with the spices brought in from the US. That too says Thanksgiving. Don't forget the gravy!!!!!

Oh, yeah, and green bean casserole. Very Thanksgiving.

Broccoli rice casserole. For sure Thanksgiving.

Erm, okay pumpkin pie too. Ohhhhhh, now that is Thanksgiving.

And my sister-in-laws, um, buns. (Family joke) Yeah, just gonna leave that one to lie there and wiggle.

And ham. Oh I would kill for a real ham, but we will probably settle with kasslers instead. Which doesn't quite say Thanksgiving, but roasted pig is roasted pig. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Ok, so I got distracted, I was asking about sweet potatoes, please.

Thanks,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:48 pm

picalena wrote:Stupid but important question. Do sweet potatoes exist here in Chile and do I have to go to Chiloe to get them if they do? These are an important part of our Thanksgiving and I would really like to have fresh ones if possible. We don't like in Santiago, so I am asking more as to the south of Chile if they are here. I have never seen them where we are. There is nothing that says thanksgiving for us like candied sweet potatoes.
Camote. Honestly I'm not sure if it's a sweet potato or a yam, or really what's the difference, but you'll be able to find it wherever Peruvians sell their vegetables and other various deliciousness. In Santiago, I always know that La Vega will have some.

I've also seen actual... candied camote in the Feria. I don't know if it's the same as candied sweet potato. It seems to just be dehydrated camote, occasionally with some sugar... very interesting.

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:59 pm

wiscondinavian wrote: It seems to just be dehydrated camote, occasionally with some sugar... very interesting.
ACCKK! Who would do that? :shock: No, candied sweet potatoes involves mantequilla (lots), brown sugar which here will be chancaca (LOTS), canela, a little nuez moscada, and the crowning glory of browned marshmallows.

When my grandfather was still alive (diabetic as he was), we made a healthier alternative which involved sweet potatoes, orange juice, pineapple and juice, and some butter. They were also good. But heavens it is not Thanksgiving if you don't have those crispy on the outside goopy on the inside marshmallows all over that crystalline brown sugar sauce on those tender yummy sweet potatoes.

Ok, so now I know it is called camote - thanks now I know how to ask for it. Gonna start looking now!

Thanks,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

momof3

Post by momof3 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Mom3, you are going to have to go on a safari from the safe confines of Chicureo. Start looking in Jumbos and Liders. I got that cranberry sauce in a tin which makes the happy noise for ExpatBob. It will be about $1,500. Worth it for that noise. Choices are usually that Walmart brand or Ocean Spray. Jumbo has it on the aisle with the tinned fruit. Lider hides it almost anywhere.

Oooh purple. Anyhoo, yeah, in the name of saving money on benzyne I have become a recluse of Chicureo. Then again I have a crush on the locals. I have dedicated myself to dodging the supermarkets and buying from the mom and pop vendors. What a difference it makes in customer service!
I have an orange pumpkin sitting on my kitchen counter. Do I cook and freeze the innards for later use? Has anyone successfully made pumpkin pie from scratch on this forum, while living here? I would love a recipe that included the celsius temperature for the oven and the local spices used. I miss cheating with graham crackers and a can of filling.

Does admin want me to save the seeds for pick-up on his next venture through Santiasco?
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Picalena. You torture me.
We agree to disagree.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 pm

I would love a recipe that included the celsius temperature for the oven and the local spices used.
Your oven actually tells you the temperature inside? :shock:

Cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, pinch of nutmeg. A teaspoon of each except 1/2 t. of ginger. I like cinnamon so I put 2 tsp. You can freeze the cooked pumpkin - steam it so it doesn't collect a whole lot of water.

2 cups cooked pumpkin
1 can evaporated (not sweetened condensed) milk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
the spices
pinch of salt
vanilla

Just beat it all up and pour into an uncooked pie shell. Bake about 40 mins. No idea what temperature. :D A knife inserted an inch from the edge should come out clean, the center may still be wobbly.

Easy peasy.