Macaroni and Cheese no longer in Lider Maipu... :(

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
wiscondinavian

Macaroni and Cheese no longer in Lider Maipu... :(

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 am

They no longer carry my favorite toxic substance in my Lider any more... I searched the whole store, but they used to just put them with all of the other Great Value stuff in the middle of the aisle (mini marshmallows!)... but no where to be found now. Has anyone seen any toxic orange substance in their Lider?

(However, I found low-sodium Maruchan Ramen and a little baggie of peruvian huacana sauce while I was searching... so not a total loss)

sandrab

Re: Macaroni and Cheese no longer in Lider Maipu... :(

Post by sandrab » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:55 am

They stopped carrying it here in vina and biggotto sp ? :( they also no longer have the toaster waffles or the pancake mix, and finding the low fat creamy peanut butter is impossible too. I have been to 3 different Liders and nothing :(
They do however have the lays onion chip dip very happy to have found that !!!

griffin

Post by griffin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am

I haven't bought any lately so I haven't looked, but I have seen "real" mac&cheese in Jumbo in the past year (usually in the pasta section, also check imports), and I don't mean the local "caracoles con queso". I can't remember seeing it, but worth checking Unimarc too in pasta and import sections of the store.

Lider is so random about what they stock in imports. Well all the stores are, but Lider is the worst in my (limited) experience, one reason I rarely shop there.

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:32 pm

~
it is g~j's most sincere desire...
that some/any/all allchileans might actually discover how to make your own...
yes, real home-made macaroni + cheese...
omg...
rather than be continuously captive to some commercial/convenient crap-in-a-cardboard container?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-colle ... index.html
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Pasta/Mac ... e/Top.aspx

:idea:
:mrgreen:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:03 pm

When cheddar magically becomes available in Chilean grocery stores, besides that stuff that comes in a small covered cup, I would love to take g~j's advice.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:33 pm

greg~judy wrote:~
it is g~j's most sincere desire...
that some/any/all allchileans might actually discover how to make your own...
yes, real home-made macaroni + cheese...
omg...
rather than be continuously captive to some commercial/convenient crap-in-a-cardboard container?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-colle ... index.html
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Pasta/Mac ... e/Top.aspx

:idea:
:mrgreen:
Oh, indeed, I do know how to make a delicious mac&cheese with delicious bread crumb topping, however that is a different beast (No cheddar in Lider Maipu, but I'm excited that they have a non Philidephia cream cheese [made in Wisco, of course] for CH$990)

So I haven't really made it in the last 2 years.

That's like trying to compare a tasty, homemade chicken soup to that in the can, or homemade cookies with oreos. While they share the same name, they really aren't the same product. Sometimes, one just has ganas for the fake packaged product.

sitka

Post by sitka » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:46 pm

I have to agree, there’s something special about that little packet of Yellow # 5 powdered cheese. My partner goes through a couple boxes a week and I’ve noticed it’s getting harder to find. I picked up a few boxes last week at the Los Leones Lider Express. It moves around so you might have to search a little. Last time it was by the salad dressings across from the dried pasta. I have also found it at Lider Express by Manuel Montt.

Costanera Jumbo has some decent Monterey jack and Colby cheeses (Crystal Farms brand) that make a good real mac & cheese if you so choose.

Hope you can find some!

BTW: Hola! Long time follower of the forum. Partner and I arrived in Santiago from Vancouver Island in February so he could pursue his PhD. A little sad that my first post is about mac and cheese but the ol’ KD is near and dear to this Canuck’s heart :)

lotn

Post by lotn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm

sitka wrote:Costanera Jumbo has some decent Monterey jack and Colby cheeses (Crystal Farms brand) that make a good real mac & cheese if you so choose.
They also have Crystal Farms brand Pepperjack. I saw it a couple of months back and almost fainted from excitement. They didn't have the price tag up at the time so I never got around to buying any, and now I live in Patagonia so it looks like i'm S.O.L. However, the Unimarc here in Coyhaique does have a rather impressive array of imported sauces, olives, Mexican products, etc., so I will survive. I still dream about Krafts Mac n' Cheese with Bush's Baked Beans from time to time though.

Naolin

Post by Naolin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm

sandrab wrote:They stopped carrying it here in vina and biggotto sp ? :( they also no longer have the toaster waffles or the pancake mix, and finding the low fat creamy peanut butter is impossible too. I have been to 3 different Liders and nothing :(
They do however have the lays onion chip dip very happy to have found that !!!
I've found pancake mix (just add water stuff) at Jumbo in the import section. Unimart also carries a none american brand along side the rest of the cake mixes in the baking isle (i'm sure most use it for the crepes style panqueques but the directions for american pancakes are on there too. In any case its just add one egg and about 1/3 the water) :)

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:59 pm

I... grrr.... Whatever.

I went to Santa Isabel, Lider, and Jumbo searching for mac and cheese, but no luck. So I bought the stuff to make my homemade macaroni and cheese (more than $3000 for a package of sliced Colby... *poor*). Prepped all the ingredients, cooked the noodles and... the gas runs out. :( :( :( :( :(

I then pouted, drinking the can of A&W rootbeer I bought, and sat pondering what I shall carve on my $1000 mini-pumpkin.

Also, no more $1.000 cream cheese in the Lider. I will try this subpar Brazilian cream-cheese for $1.300

griffin

Post by griffin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 am

Kraft macaroni and cheese was in the imported food section again last time I went to the Jumbo in La Serena, around May 30th? It was gone for a long time but now has reappeared, just a heads-up for those of you who may be missing a comfort food. :)

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

griffin wrote:Kraft macaroni and cheese was in the imported food section again last time I went to the Jumbo in La Serena, around May 30th? It was gone for a long time but now has reappeared, just a heads-up for those of you who may be missing a comfort food. :)

the great value is also back in stock

HOWEVEr
the great value sothwest mustard is OUT OF STOCK :(