coffee growers in Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
chucao_ambar

Re: coffee growers in Chile

Post by chucao_ambar » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:22 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Sounds like some very significant and risky startup costs with humongous logistics to be worked out (as this is Chile ya know). Don't see the artesanal brewery comparison to this unless purely talking about end product marketing. Kudos to anyone or entity that goes for it. Maybe the Chinese or Russians can foot the bill for the project.
Obviously that would be the goal of all this, a marketable end product. (Plus social change). The logistics are of course different, we are talking about two completely different products, fine. But that there is similarity in their appeal is far from a groundless claim. In fact, coffee probably has even greater potential, assuming it's actually feasible to grow it here. At home and abroad. Coffee from Chile, small scale operation, from the place where the Atacama and Patagonia are; coffee from the hills of Valparaiso or whatever...it sounds romantic and novel at the same time. As for here in Chile - assuming the general demand for decent coffee is there - there is good coffee available from other countries, but there is good beer available too. The appeal of the craft beer as something local, something Chilean, is significant. A lot of people who like beer like coffee. Personally I like them both at once.

Local, "artisan" coffee is not common like craft beer, but you can't grow coffee in too many places, and again, generally speaking, the two processes are completely different - acknowledged. You can't just produce coffee in some dude's basement, unless he happens to live in a treehouse in Colombia. But it appears there may be untapped potential to grow it in some new places, and if that goes well then it seems like something that is definitely attractive and marketable - as being from those places, assuming it doesn't suck - to a class of consumer that does exist in Chile and certainly exists abroad. Clearly coffee is riskier and costlier, far more complex, etc., on the startup end, but its potential is hard too dismiss outright, or even as a half-baked proposition.
marti wrote:Please note that "café soluble" is a chilean euphemism for "toxic sewage."
As for the 5% that have caught on - that is not so small a number. Don't let the pie chart suggest otherwise. Everybody drinks coffee. And it would appear that this is not a static figure, as your additional statistics suggest.

Admittedly, I may have drunk too much coffee today.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:47 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Las exigencias fitosanitarias para el ingreso de este tipo de productos a Chile son muy ALTAS, hay que cumplir y acreditar los altos estándares establecidos por la ley a lo largo de toda la cadena de valor, como requisitos para ingresar y comercializar de este tipo de productos en Chile.
Anyone here try catshit coffee?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

marti

Post by marti » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:16 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:23 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Las exigencias fitosanitarias para el ingreso de este tipo de productos a Chile son muy ALTAS, hay que cumplir y acreditar los altos estándares establecidos por la ley a lo largo de toda la cadena de valor, como requisitos para ingresar y comercializar de este tipo de productos en Chile.
Anyone here try catshit coffee?
Yep, one of the importers in australia had there shop next to our office, had to give it ago!
Pretty good coffee, but nothing on what i get now in NZ!

john

Post by john » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:52 am

Just read this report (http://www.euromonitor.com/coffee-in-chile/report) about coffee consumption in Chile. It was prepared by Euromonitor International who claim to be the world leader in strategy research for consumer markets.

I have no idea if growing coffee in Chile is feasible or, assuming so, economically viable...though I do have a discerning taste for what constitutes a good cup of coffee. :)

The currently very small niche market for non-instant coffee in Chile (and the availability of an ample choice of suppliers from around the world to fill that market) would seem to indicate that to invest in the growing of coffee in Chile could be a high risk undertaking.

If approximately 95% of Chileans are actually drinking No Es Café, then changing that dynamic would seem to be a formidable hurdle to overcome even if price points were to be the same between a cup of No Es Café and real coffee...which doesn't seem a likely probability. The current reality is that a good cup of real coffee in Chile costs almost as much as it does in the US even though the average worker salary in the US is 3-4 times higher than it is in Chile.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

marti

Post by marti » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:26 am

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:28 am

john wrote:Just read this report (http://www.euromonitor.com/coffee-in-chile/report) about coffee consumption in Chile. It was prepared by Euromonitor International who claim to be the world leader in strategy research for consumer markets.
A former poster on the forum who was a self-sponsored expat who became a citizen but was chased away by forum rudeness probably had a hand in that report.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:30 am

OK, talking very artesanal, niche, organic, not to mention VERY CHILENO (Mapuche) with room for expansion and profit, how many have tried maqui, specifically the coffee-like drink made from its dehydrated and toasted berries?

Tried it once (it is also known as "cafe de campo"), my wife was given a handful of the dried and toasted berries which were black and indeed had a coffee like aroma and taste but sweeter.

http://www.emprendes.cl/emprendedoras-d ... con-maqui/
Las bondades del Maqui

El maqui, es un fruto de tamaño pequeño, de intenso color morado, dulce y que crece en forma silvestre en el sur de Chile.

Los habitantes de esta zona estámos acostumbrados a comerlo directamente desde el árbol, pero para el resto de los chilenos es una fruta prácticamente desconocida.

Durante muchos años ha sido utilizada por los mapuches como remedio natural, pero sólo hace unos pocos alcanzó la categoría de “súper fruta” por la gran cantidad de propiedades beneficiosas para la salud que tiene.

En primer lugar, el maqui es un poderoso antioxidante, ya que tiene altos niveles de antocianinas, los pigmentos que le otorgan su color. Éstas además tienen grandes propiedades antiinflamatorias, por lo que ejercen efectos terapéuticos.

También se le han detectado efectos en el metabolismo de la azúcar y algunos experimentos han sugerido que además mejora la actividad a nivel de las células adiposas.

De hecho, en internet es posible encontrar muchas páginas donde se promociona a esta “súperfruta” como una de los “Top 5″ quemadores de grasas.

Productos

Licor de Maqui

Bajativo o aperitivo realizado con 100% fruto del maqui, de agradable sabor, sin conservantes ni persevantes artificiales, moderado grado de alcohol en Botella de 375 ml.

———————

Concentrado de Maqui

Concentrado de la fruta, con un toque de azúcar, ideal para la elaboración de salsas para postres, jugos, tragos etc. Botella de 375 ml.

———————-

Café de Maqui

100% maqui deshidratado con un leve tostado artesanal en cayana a fuego suave. Frasco de 100 grs.

———————

Mermelada de maqui

Mermelada artesanal con todo el sabor de la fruta, sin aditivos artificiales. Frasco de 100 grs.
maqui-1-300x225.jpg
maqui-1-300x225.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 3159 times

- Søren Kierkegaard

danomene

Post by danomene » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:29 pm

I hadn't seen this mentioned yet, but there is a coffee school in Santiago at Cafe Cultura (http://cafecultura.cl/escuela/). The people there are very interested in trying to grow the coffee culture here. They seem a little focused on the espresso side for my tastes (they seem to go for beans that need a darker roast) but the beans they sell aren't bad. Not quite what I could get on either coast in the US, but preferable to getting beans at Starbucks.

SUNstone

Post by SUNstone » Thu May 25, 2017 9:58 pm

I've seen Café de Maqui from one of the exhibitors of an International Food Exhibit I attended to 3 years ago. They also have this Cafe Cubanito and Kopi Lumak (Civet Coffee).