coffee growers in Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: coffee growers in Chile

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:Costs include keeping the coffee field free of weeds and keeping fungus or certain boring bugs at bay.
I wonder if we even have those bugs here, since we don't have much or any coffee growing. My strategy is to not plant too much of anything in one spot. The idea is to create a diverse ecosystem, so any 1 bug, disease, or whatever, has plenty of its natural predators to keep it under control. Too much of any 1 thing attracts too much of what lives off of it. But doesn't create the environment necessary to support the natural predators that would normally keep them under control, in a more natural environment. At least that's how I understand it.
Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:Leaf rust is a fungus, so I am still unclear why shade-grown coffee is supposedly less affected, as they say.  Most of the leaf rust (ojo de gallo here) on my place is in the shaded areas.  A work in progress.  
How does the humidity and air circulation in the shade, compare to the unshaded areas? Do the plants stay smaller and less crowded in the shade?
Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:A properly managed coffee operation, no matter how small can be a completely organic ordeal.
Yep. Natures been doing it that way, long before we started farming.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

PCSM

Post by PCSM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:10 pm

patagoniax wrote:
PCSM wrote: My daddy taught me to be polite to strangers but you do make it so very hard.
Were all of your ancestors humourless Baptists, living in the perpetual and overwhelming fear that someone, somewhere, might be laughing?

Haha....

I am able to separate the funny from the underlying message. Your methodology quite clever and funny. The underlying message that permeates your posts still has to be part of it though. Chile is horrible. Stay away. It sucks. Blah blah blah. Bitch, whine, bitch.

As I said, I find your wit quite funny and often times find myself chuckling. But just as you hijacked the 'What do you like about Chile' thread, you could not let this one go without barging in and once again reminding us all about how much Chile sucks.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 pm

ExpatBob wrote:
nwdiver wrote: Put in a couple of acres of hops, thats a crop that's easy to sell ;)
Are hops grown in Chile?

Not that I can find, and south of the Bio Bio will be perfect, they could become an export crop.
It's all about the wine.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 pm

nwdiver wrote:
ExpatBob wrote:
nwdiver wrote: Put in a couple of acres of hops, thats a crop that's easy to sell ;)
Are hops grown in Chile?

Not that I can find, and south of the Bio Bio will be perfect, they could become an export crop.

ABSOLUTELY HOPS ARE GROWN IN CHILE!!!!! In the little town of Futa, I scraped some hops that grow around the Catholic Church opposite the plaza del armas...I planted them and they are/were growing a hedge at my place in Azul. Walking around Futa, especially at the end of the street Piloto Carmona, hedges of hops are everywhere.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:10 pm

patagoniax wrote:
PCSM wrote: My daddy taught me to be polite to strangers but you do make it so very hard.
Were all of your ancestors humourless Baptists, living in the perpetual and overwhelming fear that someone, somewhere, might be laughing?

Just another example of an egomaniac justifying hateful rhetoric into a thread for his own post count. Pay no attention.

Some people enjoy life.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm thinking a little larger scale and more varieties. The problem is the plants are normally produced from rhizomes which are impossible to import into Chile (we tried ;( ), so you are stuck working with the 3-4 varieties that are available (in tiny volumes) or going to seed which adds 2-3 years to an already 3-4 year cycle, but somebody has to do it.

And yes you can find hop plants all over the south, hell it was partially settled by Germans the kings of hops, the problem is what are they?? To sell hops you need to know what you are producing and put in 3-4 ha.
It's all about the wine.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Yes, further down that article, one of the the comenters mentioned that when CCU operated their brewery in Osorno, they grew their own hops in the area.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 am

My internet is way too slow to get the article to download right now but I'll do so later, for sure. I loved my hops vines at my house in Chile! I'm hoping that here in the cool, high mountains of Panama I might be able to make a go of them...

Hmmm...hops in Panama, coffee in Chile?

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Coffee now is plump yet still green. First harvest will begin in October but in a walk-around the finca I found several clusters of ripe cherries. I hope someone, even if on a small scale, tries coffee in Chile. If someone solves SAG requirements and wishes to consult with an organic coffee expert (I am organic, but in no way an expert) I can put them in touch with the Hartmann family here in Western Chiriqui. They have been here since the late 1800's and have
Hartmann Birdsong Coffee. They could also be a source for seed coffee, or seedlings, though there are wonderful coffee resources and experts from many Central America sources.

Later, with some decent internet speed, I will upload a few photos.

One last thought...for planting, fertilizing, etc...one need only to invert the calendar from what we follow above the equater as a loose guide.

Anyone interested who has navigated SAG regulations and wishes to contct someone here, please PM me.

Vicki

GJJIM

Post by GJJIM » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:17 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Put in a couple of acres of hops, thats a crop that's easy to sell ;)
Indeed, the microbreweries around here pay up to $25 a pound for rare varieties of hops, and $3-$6 a pound for the generic.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:Coffee now is plump yet still green. First harvest will begin in October but in a walk-around the finca I found several clusters of ripe cherries. I hope someone, even if on a small scale, tries coffee in Chile. If someone solves SAG requirements and wishes to consult with an organic coffee expert (I am organic, but in no way an expert) I can put them in touch with the Hartmann family here in Western Chiriqui. They have been here since the late 1800's and have
Hartmann Birdsong Coffee. They could also be a source for seed coffee, or seedlings, though there are wonderful coffee resources and experts from many Central America sources.

Later, with some decent internet speed, I will upload a few photos.

One last thought...for planting, fertilizing, etc...one need only to invert the calendar from what we follow above the equater as a loose guide.

Anyone interested who has navigated SAG regulations and wishes to contct someone here, please PM me.

Vicki
I have a short list of stuff being researched now. After I hear back on that, I'll be making another list, and I'm planning to include coffee on that one. Btw, I remember reading that coffee roasting produces a lot of smoke. Is there any way around that?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin