Bringing spices back to Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
m00ser13

Bringing spices back to Chile

Post by m00ser13 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey everyone,
My first post, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section (could be under moving to Chile). I came back to the US briefly for a wedding, and during my stay was shown some great recipes that involve spices I'm not sure I could find back in Santiago.
The three canned spices I have are the following, all from a local supermarket called Draeger's here in the San Francisco Bay Area, California:
Cumin Seeds
All Spice
Chili Powder Dark

These things are all sitting in sealed tins (Cumin and All Spice) and a bottle (Chili Powder). I know Chile has some strict import laws, but could these things pass through customs without a problem? Truth be told, I've found Chilean food a little bland unless you go for the more specialized dishes, and these things will help me make some killer Southwestern Chili.

I'm leaving this Saturday, so hopefully I can get some quick responses. Thanks in advance!

~M

zer0nz

Re: Bringing spices back to Chile

Post by zer0nz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:15 pm

pack it, declare it, and be prepared to lose it without argument,

listo

momof3

Post by momof3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Send it in the mail.
We agree to disagree.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm

momof3 wrote:Send it in the mail.

that works also, but you should have no problem bringing it in....

as long as there is no seeds, if its ground you are fine!

Cumin Seeds is found here...

momof3

Post by momof3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I need to fess up, I flew in with a plastic shoebox packed with spices. They opened it, asked, I told them, no problem.
We agree to disagree.

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 am

We bring in allspice with no problem. Leave the cumin at home, it is abundant here, and quite good. But bring the chili powder. I have adapted all of my recipes that call for chili powder to use Ají Merkén and add a few other spices in, but that simply will not do for making southwestern chili, so bring the chili powder for that flavor.

As others have said, make sure the spices stay sealed, and be sure to declare them as you come through. They will likely barely glance at them.
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:43 am

don't forget to post your recipe here... :)

bearshapedsphere

Post by bearshapedsphere » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm

bring your own cinnamon if you like it strong. the stuff here tastes like cardboard, for the most part. In the states I found vietnamese cinnamon (most volatile oils) and it was practically caustic. But I finished it, sadly. Will go back and get more sometime. I don't know where the one comes from here, but there's no comparison.
11 years and counting in Chile
http://bearshapedsphere.com
tweeting occasionally at /bearshapedspher
food whatnot at instagram/dishsantiago

m00ser13

Post by m00ser13 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 am

Hey guys,
Thanks for the quick replies. Yeah, I've lived in Chile for a total of around 1 year 5 months, and I'm always desperate for spicy food. There's only so much Michelada I can drink to replace that feeling. One problem I've run into is I don't know what is what when it comes to spices, for example, what do they call Cumin Seeds? (Good to know they are there though, thanks zer0nz). Aji Merken just isn't strong enough.

Alright guys, I'm out. Thread question answered. Have a good one and I'll see you around Bellavista! :)

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 am

m00ser13 wrote:what do they call Cumin Seeds?
Comino entero. You can also get molido (ground). I hear you on the spicy. We bring in Tony's to get a little more heat. However, we have some friends who make some pretty darn spicy aji (salsa), on the equivalent of what we make with habaneros back in Texas, so you can find spicy peppers if you just ask around. Have a safe trip!
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:05 am

I have from time to time come across safeway brand Chile powder. I normally wipe out the shelf, as it might not appear again for a while. So, it has been a while since I last looked for it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:44 am

Aside from varieties of fresh aji available in Chile, any large supermarket will have jars of Peruvian aji or rococo. I have also seen lots of different imported spices.

Don't bring in anything in seed form: peppercorns, cumin seed etc. Ground spices are fine.