Stupid question..

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
murf

Re: Stupid question..

Post by murf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:53 pm

As an Irish man married to a Chilean, I find our cuisine quiet similar. :(
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 pm

I think Fast-Debrid is a spammer....

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:03 am

Fast-Debrid wrote:
mlightheart wrote:I think Fast-Debrid is a spammer....
Why?
Because you are and you know it. Admin I think you better scrape the spam off the forum windshield.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:05 am

Good to see that the spammers are having to go to the bother of answering peoples' posts these days to peddle their evil wares. Still a bit of a poor effort though.
patagoniax wrote:Chilean dishes are mostly bland and tasteless, rather like boiled toilet paper
Not at all like SPAM.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:26 am

You know, this would have been almost credible were it not for the username being the same as the software one is supposed to download. Why does every piece of spam, however well crafted in other respects, always have some glaring flaw? I think it's really someone's sociology experiment (but others who are less charitable might concoct more sinister explanations).

gaygringo1980

Post by gaygringo1980 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:34 pm

patagoniax wrote:Chilean dishes are mostly bland and tasteless, rather like boiled toilet paper. Sometimes they surprise you by putting a spice where you least expect it, but they do not call them spices; they are called condiments ( "condimentos") here. Do not confuse the "condimentos" with the "condones" even though they may look and taste the same. The most daring statement a Chilean can make is to put mayonnaise on a dish. Part of the problem with Chilean cooking is that the people in this country have a genetic deficiency which prevents them from sensing flavours or texture in their food. It is so very sad. If you wish to sample food that is one step better than Chilean, visit a refugee camp in Africa where the people are boiling their socks to spice up their soup.
LMBO!! I could not agree more!!! :lol:

I'm from New Orleans (probably some of the best and most flavorful dishes in the world!!) and I was so extremely disappointed with the food here in Chile!! I am taking a trip to the south of Chile in about another week and I've been told that the food is a little better and more authentic in the south...but we'll see! :wink:

But most of the food that I have eaten here in the Viña del Mar/Valparaíso area has been very Americanized food...but with a Chilean twist. Chileans seem to take American food...get rid of the lettuce...and add palta (avocado) instead. They go way overboard on the artery-clogging mayonnaise....they add no salt or even black pepper to anything. My boyfriend even seems to think that black pepper is too spicy!! And don't order french fries from anywhere unless you want a plate of grease to go with your papas fritas!! And for pizzas...another Americanized food....the Chileans add choclo (corn) to it and call it their own!! :?

The only one dish that I had been very impressed with was Chorrillanas (a plate of french fries, covered with scrambled eggs mixed with grilled onions, and then topped off with chopped beef that is actually seasoned)!! My boyfriend took me to this place in Valparaíso called J. Cruz Restaurant...supposedly the birthplace of the Chorrillanas dish. Definately worth the trip there!! It's very basic...but it definately wasn't bland....pretty tasty!

I have to admit though that this country makes up for their lack of tastebuds with beautiful scenery and good hospitality!! :D

But comparing Chilean food to boiled toilet paper?? That cracks me up!!! I couldn't have worded that better!! :lol: God bless the Chileans!!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Any cuisine that has a dish like Pastel de Choclo that can be served savoury or a wack of sugar added and melted onto the top making it too sweet to eat is suspect. It's the only thing I've ever had that was sweet and had chicken in it.
It's all about the wine.

gaygringo1980

Post by gaygringo1980 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:24 am

And I also wanna know...is there any dessert (cake, tarts, pies, cookies, or donuts) that does NOT have MANJAR (dulce de leche) in it?????? And what is the deal with everyone drinking instant coffee here?? I can walk into any grocery store and there is a whole aisle of different brands (the majority of which belong to Nestle) of instant coffee...but only one small shelf (maybe two shelves if you shop at Jumbo) of actual coffee grounds and maybe one or two bags of one type of whole bean coffee?? You come to South American and you think coffee would be the main drink here...but no...it's actually tea!! Don't get me wrong...I really love this country...great people, beautiful weather, awesome scenery, and delicious wine!! It's just bad that I have to carry my own bottle of Tabasco sauce with me everywhere I go! :wink:

rican

Post by rican » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 am

Chilean cuisine = palta + mayo.

I've never seen a larger mayo section. They also try to sell you combos, like Toblerone + mayo. It's quite disgusting.

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:41 pm

patagoniax wrote:
chernandez wrote:Chilean cuisine = palta + mayo.

I've never seen a larger mayo section. They also try to sell you combos, like Toblerone + mayo. It's quite disgusting.
Mayonnaise: it's Chile's answer to healthy eating and a distinguishing national cuisine. As well as why every 15-year-old already wears a substantial spare tyre. Mayonnaise slathering also reduces the need to actually go through the motions of cooking something.

Mayo: it's what's for lunch.

I feel ill just looking at that photo :oops:

rican

Post by rican » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:21 pm

trabajo en progreso wrote:
patagoniax wrote:
chernandez wrote:Chilean cuisine = palta + mayo.

Mayonnaise: it's Chile's answer to healthy eating and a distinguishing national cuisine. As well as why every 15-year-old already wears a substantial spare tyre. Mayonnaise slathering also reduces the need to actually go through the motions of cooking something.

Mayo: it's what's for lunch.

I feel ill just looking at that photo :oops:
+1 I definitely threw up a bit.

sweetbiscuit
Location: Brisbane...Santiago.... Vancouver....Brisbane (Australia)

Post by sweetbiscuit » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:34 pm

I think so did Anthony Bourdain when he was served one of these - he certainly LOOKED queezy!