Crappy milk = crappy ice cream

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
isolde100

Crappy milk = crappy ice cream

Post by isolde100 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:48 pm

After visiting Buenos Aires and enjoying the delicious ice cream in the Argentine capital, I cannot even bear the taste of most ice cream in Santiago. Now that the weather is much warmer, my partner and I are on the lookout for good ice cream. Unfortunately the ones we have tasted are truly ghastly (dreadful aftertaste, horrible consistency) and I believe it starts with the kind of milk that is used. I recall seeing on one not-so-cheap ice cream container that they use . . . (drum roll, please) . . . powdered milk! Yes, you read it right -- powdered milk. I guess someone's got to use up the massive supply of powdered milk generated by that new Nestle powdered milk facility.

The only ice cream I can eat here is sorbet.

So, I have to wait until the next trip to Buenos Aires to get proper gelato. No more Chilean ice cream for me.

zer0nz

Re: Crappy milk = crappy ice cream

Post by zer0nz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Havent had a problem with ice cream here...... where have you tried?

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:18 pm

My niece and in-laws are up here from Vina/Con-Con, visiting in Ohio. My niece loves the milk here, she constantly is saying "it tastes so good". Wait until we take her for Graeters Ice Cream.

John Hyre

isolde100

Post by isolde100 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Where have I eaten ice cream in Chile? The ice cream places in Parque Arauco and La Dehesa mall and different ice creams from the supermarket. Do I need to go to some hidden cave somewhere in Santiago to find good ice cream? Are people hoarding it for themselves? Is this a secret location that needs a secret password?

Estoy tratando

Post by Estoy tratando » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Emporio La Rosa on Merced seems to make all the "foodie" blogs and such.

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Emporio La Rosa on Merced seems to make all the "foodie" blogs and such.
And near this place there are several great ice cream stores, for example "Café Opera" on Merced or a pizza place on José Miguel de la Barra called Verace, which always sells a small variety of homemade icrecream with interesting flavours such as "Mote con huesillos" or "harina tostada".

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:08 pm

My friend, I feel your pain. I used to live in Italy and we go to Argentina frequently and absolutely love the gelato there. I have yet to find any decent ice cream in Santiago and the ones that label themselves gelato are just sad. However, in a totally random and happy turn of events, there is a new gelato place at the mall in San Antonio (5th region) and their ice cream is like crack. Delicious and creamy and all the things it actually should be. So, maybe not great for you Santiaguinos, but awesome for us folks in the San Antonio region :D
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 pm

I like Sebastián on Andrés de Fuenzalida in Providencia.

I would say that pX has a point. It seems like you need to relax and accept that not everything is going to be the same as where you come from and adjust your expectations and attitude accordingly.

jen

Post by jen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Hint: to those of you looking for a business idea, buy some land, some cows, and sell fresh milk (no UHT pasteurizing, porfa) and icecream. It would be a novelty to Chileans and such a treat for us expats! How I would love to have real milk...

isolde100

Post by isolde100 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:49 pm

gringalais wrote:I would say that pX has a point. It seems like you need to relax and accept that not everything is going to be the same as where you come from and adjust your expectations and attitude accordingly.
I am not going to relax and accept bland food, powdered milk, and crappy oversweetened "yogurt" stuffed with preservatives. My way of dealing with these elements of life in Chile is by traveling to Argentina regularly, cooking spicy Thai food at home (using the amazing Chilean seafood on offer in local markets) and buying Pucara yogurt.

I won't be in Chile for more than a year. It's a decent place to live compared to the rest of Latin America but it's not for me. It is much safer than Argentina or Brazil or those failed states of Central America, if those are the other choices you have, and it is less corrupt and more organized. It has beautiful landscapes, great (inexpensive) wine and the best seafood I have ever had in my life. I have been enjoying my stay here despite the complaints I have voiced on this forum.

However, food is really important to me and for Chileans, food is not important. There is no food culture here. Period. How else do you explain the lack of even ONE good charcuterie/fromagerie in Vitacura-Las Condes-La Dehesa, which are the richest neighborhoods in Santiago? It's not a question of money. Some of the most expensive cars in the world (the ones that cost over $500,000) are bought by Chileans.

Next time I go to Buenos Aires, I am going to bring back real Spanish chorizo, jamon iberico, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and a host of other goodies that even the wealthy neighborhoods here don't stock.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm

sounds like you choose good food by its price......

everything is here in chile, just need to spend some more time looking........

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:54 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
isolde100 wrote:Next time I go to Buenos Aires, I am going to bring back real Spanish chorizo, jamon iberico, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and a host of other goodies that even the wealthy neighborhoods here don't stock.
And be prepared to have some if not most confiscated when you enter Chile.
yes indeed, eeuu...
we shall relate the aftermath of a trip to lima last year,
where g~j scored the most amazing pepperoni...
(this, as compared to the best - made by ed's meat market, in fernie, beecee)

now we were unsure of the "rules" about said sausage at that time...
but took a chance and scored about 1500gm...
sure enuff, on our arrival at chilean customs south of tacna...
we were forthwith informed "no permisso"

thus, we shared our largesse with any/all around us...
i.e. those who happened to be waiting in the customs line...
we can report that all were most happy with the unexpected gifts...
and all spoke quite well of our tasty treats as they were consumed...
and so, we all passed thru customs easily...
with only pepperoni~breath to declare!

thus, isolde100...
please be ready to share your own tasty treats (from ba) in like fashion...
upon your return to this land of poor pepperoni (y reggiano)
:alien:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa