Thanksgiving Cooking in Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
Jim S

Re: Thanksgiving Cooking in Chile

Post by Jim S » Thu May 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Ah...., friends. There are no Brussels sprouts or sweet potatoes because Thanksgiving is the HARVEST festival; to be celebrated in the fall. Austral Thanksgiving is, naturally, the 3rd Thursday in May. We couldn't make it on Thursday, but on Sat. May, 29, the Chilean family and assorted gringo friends will be having roast turkey, with corn bread (aka chuchoca) dressing, Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon, Waldorf salad, cream of pumpkin (zapallo camote) soup, sweet potatoes (camotes amarilos), pumpkin (butternut squash) pie from scratch (google "pumpkin pie from scratch") and pecan pie. We'll start with Bourbon Old Fashioneds, or Champaign (pisco sours only for the mas chilenos) and move to pinot noir Chileno, finishing with a nice ate harvest Morande, dulce de membrillo and cheese. :alien:

And on June 21, we'll celebrate Christmas, or at least the winter equinox! And we'll have a real tree!

Saludos - Jim S

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Jim, my mouth is watering!

Chanchiluv

Post by Chanchiluv » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:39 am

Hey guys, does anyone know of a restaurant or group that is having Thanksgiving dinner this year in the Valpo (Region V) area? My kids are doing pretty well on Chilean food, but have been pining for a real Thanksgiving Dinner. Thanks! :-)

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 am

Just a question because of my ignorance. Isn't the pumpkin a common Chilean zapallo? Or are they different species?

Nullius

Post by Nullius » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:34 am

pinguin wrote:Just a question because of my ignorance. Isn't the pumpkin a common Chilean zapallo? Or are they different species?
No such thing as a common chilean zapallo. Zapallo are not native to Chile. They came to Chile from Peru.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 am

Nullius wrote: No such thing as a common chilean zapallo. Zapallo are not native to Chile. They came to Chile from Peru.
Sure. As if Chile and Peru weren't the same country in the past :roll:

Anyways, my point was simple. The pumpkin for the Thanksgivings is simply known in Chile as Zapallo, or it isn't? :roll: At least they are a different species, I don't see what's the problem to buy a Zapallo at the market, and that is it. But I am not sure. So, I ask again, are they the same species?

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:36 am

I see, then pumpkins are calabazas, not zapallos.

Thanks.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Just about any winter squash (hard shelled squash) can be used to make pumpkin pie. You may find that they are out of season right now. They are ready in late fall.

Stoph

Post by Stoph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks for this thread. I was surprised admin posted it. I am impressed he is not burned out after lo these many years of helping us with the same old things. I appreciate this very much and need the info. Happy Thanksgiving to All!

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:51 pm

The Chilean zapallo is more akin to the butternut squash in flavour. That is what we use in Canada for sopaipillas. There was a bit of a pumpkin shortage this year here which sucked as far as Halloween pumpkin carving but I have substituted butternut squash here in Canada. I guess what I am saying is if you are a baker by all means try out zapallo camote. However for any of you not from the southern states who have never had sweet potato pie I highly recommend it as an alternative and sweet potatoes are common in Chile.

GOTI

Post by GOTI » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:45 pm

GREETINGS TO ALL YOU FEASTING TURKEY FANS…My family has switched an old fashioned turkey menu with the following MOM’S TURKEY STUFFING addition. For two years now, it is a recipe we passed on to many others, with great responses> CHECK IT OUT {this is not intended to be a advertisement/ only a recipe our family uses}
Yum, YUM!
HECK
Mom's Turkey Stuffing RecipeIngredients
• 1 loaf of day old French bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 10-12 cups)
• 1 cup walnuts
• 2 cups each, chopped onion and celery
• 6 Tbsp butter
• 1 green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
• 3/4 cup of currants or raisins
• Several (5 to 10) chopped green olives (martini olives, the ones with the pimento)
• Stock from the turkey giblets (1 cup to 2 cups) (can substitute chicken stock)
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or ground sage (to taste)
• Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Method
1 If you haven't already made the stock, take the turkey giblets - heart and gizzard - and neck if you want, and put them in a small saucepan, cover with water and add a little salt. Bring to a simmer; simmer for about an hour, uncovered. Strain the stock into a container for use with the stuffing. Alternatively, you can use chicken stock or just plain water with this recipe.
2 Toast the walnuts by heating them in a frying pan on medium high heat for a few minutes, stirring until they are slightly browned (not burned) OR put them in the microwave on high until you can smell the aroma of them toasting, about a minute or two. Let them cool while you are toasting the bread, then roughly chop them.
3 Heat a large sauté pan on medium heat. Melt 3 Tbsp butter in the pan, add the bread cubes, and stir to coat the bread pieces with the melted butter. Then let them toast; only turn them when they have become a little browned on a side. Note, if you aren't working with somewhat dried-out day-old bread, lay the cubes of bread in a baking pan and put them in a hot oven for 10 minutes to dry them out first, before toasting them in butter on the stove top. The bread should be a little dry to begin with, or you'll end up with mushy stuffing.
4 In a large Dutch oven, sauté chopped onions and celery on medium high heat with the remaining 3 Tbsp butter until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Add the bread. Add cooked chopped walnuts. Add chopped green apple, currants, raisins, olives, parsley. Add one cup of the stock from cooking the turkey giblets or chicken stock (enough to keep the stuffing moist while you are cooking it). Add sage, poultry seasoning, salt & pepper.
5 Cover. Turn heat to low. Cook for an hour or until the apples are cooked through. Check every ten minutes or so and add water or stock as needed while cooking to keep the stuffing moist and keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Serves 8-10.
From the homeland of the infamous Dorothy; we found the Land of Oz

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Yes please. This new expat.family could use.a.familiar.holiday
We agree to disagree.