Peanut butter

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
Tombi

Re: Peanut butter

Post by Tombi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm

momof3 wrote:Where can I buy this wonderful machine? How much does it cost?
direct wrote:
mlightheart wrote:
direct wrote:
AussieMum wrote:Can you get crunchy peanut butter or only smooth??
G'Day Aussie Mum. Frank here ex of Newcastle NSW, currently of Recreo Vina del Mar. I bought a Sindelen 123 machine... (best purchase since I arrived) and buy toasted peanuts for 2300 pesos per KILO (do the math) and make my own peanut butter. No sugar, no salt, no preservatives. I make it regularly. I buy wide mouth glass jars from Lider. No worries. Need any info PM me or PM me for Skypename and I'll talk you through it.
Why don't you share your instructions here with another post describing how you make your peanut butter.

Is this what you bought?
http://www.ripley.cl/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... 045-230000
That's the machine I use and it is terrific. Simple really, I like CRUNCHY peanut butter so I take a handful of nuts first and put them into the machine...pulse a couple of times just to break them into pieces. Remove and put to one side. Next I fill the container with peanuts and grind to a runny paste. This will take a few minutes and you will have to stop 2 or 3 times to free up dried cake stuck to the sides. Just break it up and start again. Keep going until it is runny (maybe 5 minutes). When it has become semi liquid you will need a bowl. Put all the runny (warm) butter into the bowl and add the desired amount of crumbs which you set aside earlier.... Voila
HTH :)

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 pm

I gave up buying peanut butter a long time ago, try making your own, so easy and no rubbish in it

Need a food processor with blade attachment

Any plain peanuts with skins on (1 kg gives two good size jars)
Groundnut oil (this is peanut oil)
Seasalt 1 lev teaspoon
Honey 1 lev teasppon

Both salt and honey are options and add to taste

Roast the peanuts for about 30 mins

Put in blender and blend, add a little oil when it all looks stuck together, add salt and honey if wanted

blend well for smooth, I like cruchy so add a few hanfulls of whole nuts and blend for last 30 seconds

Its great and will last a month or so out of fridge
DOING MY BEST TO LEARN SPANISH :-)

griffin

Post by griffin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I just bought the Sindelen at Sodimac for about 17 mil. I just finished making my first real peanut butter in ages, with a few cashews thrown in for extra flavor. Yum! Mine didn't get very runny, more of a spreadable paste, but still I am very happy to have made it. Thanks to everyone who talked about their experiences with this food processor!