NEW FOOD IN CHILE FORUM

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
Gloria

Re: NEW FOOD IN CHILE FORUM

Post by Gloria » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:17 pm

mlightheart wrote:patx, for each can of Golden Syrup, about how much could you measure out? One cup? One half cup?

Thanks.
About 2 cups Martin.454 grs= 1lb= 2 cups.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:14 am

Gloria, I now see Mascarpone with more regularity at my local Unicmar (sucursal Sta Maria in Vitacura at the rotunda Lo Curro), if you're still looking.

Patx, maybe a visit up north might be in order so you can come and feast on Gorgonzola, St Agur, bufallo mozzarella, Roquefort etc. The availability of good cheese in Santiago has risen dramatically over the last 3 years. When I arrived here, I had to really, really look to just find an ok cheese, now they just jump in my trolley by themselves.

Still don't see good cheddar (other than Aussie Bega cheese, which is ok, but not sharp enough for my taste), proper Provolone (still only provoletta) and am still looking for a good creamy but strong brie like Brie de Meaux or similar.

heatherdevega

Post by heatherdevega » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:49 am

Don't know if any of you love Philadelphia cream cheese as much as I do, but I cringe every time I pay more than 2 mil/box.
So, on Monday my husband found a cream cheese made by "American Heritage" imported from Greenbay, Wisconsin.
He found it in La Vega Grande (sorry, he didn't make note of the local #) and it cost 1 mil.
Same exact flavor. Great price.

*edit : This is for Santiago, of course.

Ellis55

Post by Ellis55 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:10 am

I love to eat Chilean Salsa. I have a recipe to cook this delicious dish.. Hope you people will also enjoy this!

After trying this salsa, it is hard to go back to store-bought salsa. I could eat my weight in this stuff, along with tortilla chips. Yum!!

25 min 25 min prep

6 garlic cloves, peeled
2 green serrano chilies or jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped (I use one of each)
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
6 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 cup finely chopped sweet Spanish onions or vidalia onions
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4-1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

In a mortar, crush the garlic, chile peppers, and salt and make a paste, using a circular motion with the pestle.

Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.

patto

Post by patto » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:30 pm

Diabetic safe dishes anybody ?

locallyforeign

Post by locallyforeign » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:58 am

We are moving to Chile in July , can someone tell me , Can you buy milk in a bottle or even a bag i will even supply my own bottle if i have to ( not UHT) and rice milk (daugther dairy intolerant and very particular on the brand or rice milk she drinks . ALPRO or promvel
proper cream not uht treated again . being a chef its the basics i need .thnaks again

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:33 am

This answers part of your question: http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/view ... 84#p154593
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Cattyrose

Post by Cattyrose » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 am

I had been to Chili once. That time I got an opportunity to taste their traditional food "Pastel de choclo". It is something that is made of corn, vegetables and chicken. I liked it. Something different. They commonly eat seafood.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Cattyrose wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 am
I had been to Chili once. That time I got an opportunity to taste their traditional food "Pastel de choclo". It is something that is made of corn, vegetables and chicken. I liked it. Something different. They commonly eat seafood.
Chili is very picante, but Chile is much better!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.