Yogurt

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
AussieMum

Yogurt

Post by AussieMum » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:53 pm

We are after yogurt that is not sweetened too much and has natural fruit in it. Here in Antofagasta I have not seen any. Are there yogurt makers you can buy in Santiago or somewhere else???????? I have found most yogurt very sweet (then again everything is sweet including bread) and it is also so artificial with its colouring. Like Bright PINK for Strawberry. My little girl loves yogurt but I prefer it to be more natural. Please help

eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: Yogurt

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:02 pm

asdfghjkl
Que será, será.

AussieMum

Post by AussieMum » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:05 pm

where do you get that?? we don't get fresh milk in Antofagasta either

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:17 pm

asdfghjkl
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:21 pm

asdfghjkl
Que será, será.

zee

Post by zee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:26 pm

AussieMum wrote:where do you get that?? we don't get fresh milk in Antofagasta either
the best way is to ask any neighbor or whoever owns the small 'mercadito' from around the corner if she/he knows who has 'pajaritos de yogurt' around. someone always has them.

the best way is to use whole milk as they replicate and work better with the fat. use either powdered of liquid, it makes no difference. if you only have a couple of spoonfulls of them in the beginning, that should be enough for a big glass of yogurt, and just dump them in the glass of milk and let them sit, uncovered, for a day or two (basically until they reach the thickness you want) but no longer than this.

strain the yogurt and wash them with cold water. never ever use warm or hot water to rinse as they will die. also, if you put the whole thing in the fridge ('birdies' included) it can take up to a week for you to get yogurt, but you still will.

i've had the cultures since i was a kid, and with a little practice you will have a ton of them and will find yourself giving to others as they multiply like crazy! as a social thing, it's great to give them away 'cause in case they die on you (in which case they don't make yogurt anymore) you have someone to give some back to you, and you can begin again.

hope it helps!

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:51 am

I'm getting some pajaritos today from a friend. Anyone have a perfect recipe they can share? I'm going to make it with organic (unprocessed) whole full fat milk (not sure if this matters?). It will be my first try, so any advice is welcomed. I will go and check out the youtube vids too.

helibel

Post by helibel » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:31 am

If the Chilean yoghurt is actually alive (even with the nasty color and sugar) you should still be able to use a tablespoon or so to start your own. After a couple of batches you will have eliminated the nasties.You need a decent food thermometer.
My husband makes yogurt all the time here is his procedure:
Heat either whole milk (or prepared powdered milk) to 185F (85C) cool to 115F (46C) add 2-3 Tablespoons yogurt to each quart or so of Milk and stir . Pour into a wide mouth glass jar with a lid or clamp. Insulate and let sit for 12-18 hours. It gets more acidic the longer it sits he like 15 hours. My husband uses a one quart jar and he has a round thermos that it fits inside just perfectly. You could wrap your glass jar in towels or whatever you have and put it in a styrofoam or Coleman type cooler. Then use your own yoghurt to start the next batch :)

You might be able to use the thermos itself as they are often glass inside. The one he uses looks like the one pictured here.
http://www.paris.cl/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... __listProd

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:58 am

Hey AussieMom. I had the same reaction to the yougurt here. Very seldom was I able to find natural yogurt at all. Anyway, PM me your mailing address up there and I would be happy :D to send you a couple of packets of the dry starter for both yogurt and kefir. I dont have the luxury of buying fresh milk on a regualr basis so I use Nido powdered milk and it works find. Each packet makes one liter and if you strain your freshly prepared product, you can then use the residue to make a new batch. I dont have the info with me now, but the company that makes these, also make other great products for fermented milks and cheese making. Send me a PM, and then be patient...Mail goes out once a week and I dont get to town sometimes to catch the correo open.

Vicki

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm getting 12 hour turnarounds now with my pajaritos with the increase in temperatures.

Pajaritos can be temperamental and can change their behavior from batch to batch.

I am getting best results currently by leaving them uncovered (except for a paper towel).

I have nearly twice as much now than the two tablespoons I started out with and expect even more production in the higher summer temps.
Que será, será.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:24 pm

If anyone likes tangy cream cheese, you can make a fine substitute by making your yogurt with extra powdered milk (more than you would normally mix for your milk, or adding powdered to fresh). After your yogurt is firmed up, mix it with some salt (if you like salt) and even add some spices...romero (rosemary), dill, dried peppers, whatever....and pour the mixture into a cheesecloth. Pull up the edges, tie off the top and hang it over a dish to let the liquid seep out. Usually overnight is good enough. I saw this in a homesteading book and tried it. I ended up with a very good, though tangy cream cheese-like spread for on crackers.

I still have not gotten my hands on buttermilk culture.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Hope this is not considered advertising - it is meant simply as information... Someone was asking about electric yoghurt makers in this forum recently. I have just received an email from a store in Portal La Dehesa (top floor) - I believe it is called MarketHouse, they say they now have them in stock and I understand the price is about CLP30,000. Hope this helps!