Trying to get the best price

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
drunken days

Trying to get the best price

Post by drunken days » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:56 pm

I prefer to buy zapallo from whole-sellers. They allow to chose, and I am getting what looks attractive.

This one was at $600 / kilo today:

a2800.jpg
a2800.jpg (123.88 KiB) Viewed 738 times
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

~ Eclipse, by Pink Floyd, from the "Dark Side of the Moon"

drunken days

Re: Trying to get the best price

Post by drunken days » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:05 pm

When I ask for "grasa" in one of local small shops selling meat, I am getting this sort of bag, at $300 / kilo.

Going to separate fat (for further melting, then I use it for cooking), and I will have about 100 grams of meat remaining.

Frying potatoes using this fat goes great.

a600.jpg
a600.jpg (145.56 KiB) Viewed 734 times
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

drunken days

Post by drunken days » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm

As the current pricing for butter is starting to look crazily high (well over 2.000 in supermarkets, and at least 1.800 in small shops for farmers brands like chilolac, and even more, like 1.890 and beyond for kumey or vaquita, rumay or mattey), I start to use fat (and also olive oil) a bit more than in the past. Only a year ago I was getting kumey butter for $990/250g only...

This is how the melted fat looks like:

a_fat.jpg
a_fat.jpg (136.6 KiB) Viewed 727 times
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:56 pm

drunken days wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm
As the current pricing for butter is starting to look crazily high (well over 2.000 in supermarkets, and at least 1.800 in small shops for farmers brands like chilolac, and even more, like 1.890 and beyond for kumey or vaquita, rumay or mattey), I start to use fat (and also olive oil) a bit more than in the past. Only a year ago I was getting kumey butter for $990/250g only...

a_fat.jpg
another option is buying one butter and having it last several months by using it to flavor the fat only, say a ratio of 10 parts fat to 1 part butter.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:56 pm
drunken days wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm

a_fat.jpg
another option is buying one butter and having it last several months by using it to flavor the fat only, say a ratio of 10 parts fat to 1 part butter.
great idea for the future
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

drunken days

Post by drunken days » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 am

No, sorry! Will never do it. I value the farmers butter in Chile as it is, for its natural taste (if genuine), and am not going to mix it with anything else. Mantequillas de campo are of so many varieties, like sta. sara, sta. ester, lacteos winkler, rafulco, puerto octay, el roble, to name just a few (and of course there are innumerable others, less known brands, mostly from the 10th reg., that seem to last a couple of years only and are either absorbed by the dairy industry "biggies", or simply end their life-cycle). Each one has its pros and cons, to my taste.
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

drunken days

Post by drunken days » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 am

Trying to get the best price/value ratio, this one is at $1.680 at the Del Rio chain stores. The price champion, to my knowledge.

a1680.jpg
a1680.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 645 times
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

passport

Post by passport » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:46 am

Don’t have access to the current price right now, but according to my taste buds this product blows away all others. Probably pay a premium for the special processing, but I’d be willing to cut somewhere else if necessary to enjoy this superior product:
Attachments
0A2C1AEF-CA91-4529-BB46-4A39D88BE9F9.png
0A2C1AEF-CA91-4529-BB46-4A39D88BE9F9.png (79.63 KiB) Viewed 613 times

drunken days

Post by drunken days » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:00 pm

I would, unfortunately, post my negative observations regarding this particular product. This is very subjective, however, and this is just me... Anyway, you can always try to investigate the visible texture (when there is bright, direct sunlight -- this is much better seen), and compare genuine "mantequilla de campo" with any of the industrial ones (calo, colun, surlat, soprole, etc,). You may notice slight variations of colour, there are sometimes small areas that are darker or lighter... But products always change. Since La Vaquita acquired the Sta Sara and Kumey brands they became much worse to my taste, and I think the industrial technology of modern kind is now being used by all 3 (vaquita, sta sara, and the kumey).
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

drunken days

Post by drunken days » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Speaking of small meat selling shops, another cheap item would be soup bones of various kinds, prices, shapes and sizes, starting from as low as $300 - $500 per kilo, and going up to around $3.000.

A couple of years ago, while doing some woodwork, I was sitting in a squat position (on the floor) for a long time, and shortly after that I found out that I injured my right knee. That was a terrible year, really. I could not walk normally (sometimes making kind of a clicking sound), could not sit down properly, I thought it would never recover. Was inventing all sorts of exercises, self-massages, etc...

Honestly, I believe that eating a soup from the same parts that are damaged (like bones, tendons, connective tissue, knee joints) would be a good idea. I spent quite a bit of time in the past learning the fundamentals of Mongolian, Tibetan, Chinese, Hindu and Arabic medicine. Not sure, however, just a next "weird theory"... When cooking for 3 to 4 to 5 hours -- any connective tissue, no matter how hard it looks, becomes edible (in my experience).
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:30 pm

drunken days wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:03 pm
Speaking of small meat selling shops, another cheap item would be soup bones of various kinds, prices, shapes and sizes, starting from as low as $300 - $500 per kilo, and going up to around $3.000.

A couple of years ago, while doing some woodwork, I was sitting in a squat position (on the floor) for a long time, and shortly after that I found out that I injured my right knee. That was a terrible year, really. I could not walk normally (sometimes making kind of a clicking sound), could not sit down properly, I thought it would never recover. Was inventing all sorts of exercises, self-massages, etc...

Honestly, I believe that eating a soup from the same parts that are damaged (like bones, tendons, connective tissue, knee joints) would be a good idea. I spent quite a bit of time in the past learning the fundamentals of Mongolian, Tibetan, Chinese, Hindu and Arabic medicine. Not sure, however, just a next "weird theory"... When cooking for 3 to 4 to 5 hours -- any connective tissue, no matter how hard it looks, becomes edible (in my experience).
Th local butcher chain sells nice fatty and meaty cut cow beef bones (puchero style) for 1.995/k. We use a stainless steel pressure cooker for all our bone or tough meat soups and stews so it takes only 30-45 minutes depending on the type of bone cuts. As someone recovering from a knee injury, I do believe there is something to the traditional theories. My 100% ethnic heritage is Okinawan and like the others you cited, their food as medicine foundation prescribes eating the part of the animal (pigs being the main meat in Okinawa's history) that corresponds to what ails the individual.

The pata, cazuelas and similar soups and stews are the foundation of Chilean cuisine and usually looked down upon by the cuicos. I would say those "cheap cut" dishes are healthier than a filete or lomo that the cuicos eat. The legendary energy derived from say a sopa de pata for the working class is not a lie in my opinion and it seems that working to middle class Chileans raised with traditional dishes seem to be much healthier when it comes to chronic and degenerative diseases than their cuico counterparts who turn their nose at such low class foods.

Puchero, jueso, cazuela, aletilla, cola, pata; these cheap cuts are healthier than a bistec.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

mem

Post by mem » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 pm

For sure Bone Broth is a great medicine for all sorts of ailments as well as proactively healthy.

I'm not sure it matters much about mirroring consuming the part of an animal or making bone broth from the part of the animal that you have an ailment with, but it's not like it can really not work when bone broth is great overall no matter what bones are used.