Creative Cooking ~ Sharing Our Experience

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
RuneTheChookcha

Re: Creative Cooking ~ Sharing Our Experience

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm

No, that was only about cooking rice using the same water I used to boil beetroot. Deep purple rice.

Is it leading to a bitter taste? Maybe, but just a little bit... There are other things, that taste way bitter.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:52 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:59 pm
The following pictures demonstrate the texture and plasticity (while still very hot -- take care of your fingertips):

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Please share something yours!..
That looks incredible bro.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:08 am

Beets, yeah bud, don't panic when your piss purple (blood?? for the not acquainted) or shit purple (blood?? for the not acquainted). Not a better natural colorer one can buy sooo cheap at the local feria. :lol:
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:54 am

As most of Chile 's commercial potatoes are coming from only three varieties, I still cannot learn how to tell the ones that produce clean white-coloured dense flesh when boiled, and which ones are often watery, and sometimes tend to have either grey or even greenish colour after cooking. Looks like when exactly the same variety is coming from different cultivars, it can behave differently. The colour of the skins is not reliable sign when I buy at the local feria, nor the shape, nor the size. Sometimes there is seemingly bad sign when the skin has either black dots, or black areas, but when cooked -- it is pure white inside, and usually it can be fried perfectly, without sticking.

I had potatoes that could be exposed to air (after cooking) and they stayed white for long hours, while the others would begin to turn greyish or grey-greenish within minutes. No matter if boiled unpeeled.

Thoughts?..

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:48 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:54 am
As most of Chile 's commercial potatoes are coming from only three varieties, I still cannot learn how to tell the ones that produce clean white-coloured dense flesh when boiled, and which ones are often watery, and sometimes tend to have either grey or even greenish colour after cooking. Looks like when exactly the same variety is coming from different cultivars, it can behave differently. The colour of the skins is not reliable sign when I buy at the local feria, nor the shape, nor the size. Sometimes there is seemingly bad sign when the skin has either black dots, or black areas, but when cooked -- it is pure white inside, and usually it can be fried perfectly, without sticking.

I had potatoes that could be exposed to air (after cooking) and they stayed white for long hours, while the others would begin to turn greyish or grey-greenish within minutes. No matter if boiled unpeeled.

Thoughts?..
A visit to La Vega might be in order and interview the popular cazuela and pata soup chefs on how they choose potatoes.

- Søren Kierkegaard

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:50 am

If you always cut the root off a radish, and it goes to garbage: if you are brave enough to try it, please do, and report back what the taste is like. I have discovered this brilliant taste only a couple of months ago. Reminds me the taste of horseradish.

passport

Post by passport » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Rune, have you found any sweeteners in Chile besides cane sugar and palm syrup (which is in large part cane or beet syrup anyway)?
Looking for barley malt and agave syrup...

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:37 pm

LECHE SUR Leche Condensada.jpg
LECHE SUR Leche Condensada.jpg (143.84 KiB) Viewed 550 times
:alien:

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 pm

On a serious note, however, I don't buy anything but honey and sugar: And even my preference of cane sugar over beet is based on maybe unjustified assumptions regarding the possibility of GE beet, while I doubt that GE cane is commercially produced in either Colombia or Guatemala (my preferred producers, regardless of Chilean importers). And yes the leche sur... I love it and just cannot resist -- not sure if, and how, the guys at nestle are now manipulating with milk powder, or honestly using fluid milk as advertised...

drunken days

Post by drunken days » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm

This past Wednesday bought two 1Lt. bottles of olive oil: "OLIVO DE PLATA" at $5.250/Lt., and "ORO MAULE" at $5.390.

HIPER LIDER 's seem to offer a huge discount on olive oils these days.
All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste ...

~ Eclipse, by Pink Floyd, from the "Dark Side of the Moon"

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:13 pm

drunken days wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm
This past Wednesday bought two 1Lt. bottles of olive oil: "OLIVO DE PLATA" at $5.250/Lt., and "ORO MAULE" at $5.390.

HIPER LIDER 's seem to offer a huge discount on olive oils these days.
Yes, I'm already on my second bottle of Oro Maule, and it is 0.2% acidity, remarkable quality for the price which is even below the price of Lider 0.3% and Seleccion 0.3% supermarket brands.

- Søren Kierkegaard