Favorite Restaurants

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
PXYC

Re: Favorite Restaurants

Post by PXYC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:07 pm

In Santiago, my current favorites are:

- Baco: chilean-french restaurant, i like to order the octopus or duck;

- La Calma: fish and seafood restaurant, I always order the dish they have with the daily seafood selection (for two). This restaurant has been on the top spots of almost all rankings I've seen from best 2019 restaurants.

- Fuente Chilena: best sandwich in town in my oponion is "Churrasco Chacarero with mayo".

passport

Post by passport » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:36 am

Vegetarian fare in Providencia: El Huerto long-established, very creative, nice atmosphere

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Try the Vegan Bunker on Fresia, Providencia.

It is burgers focused but also has a daily menu (often published on its facebook page), and a few other things, and has desserts.

It's not a huge place (50-100 capacity?) and I think most of the tables are suitable for 1-4 people. There are some pro animal rights posters and messages in there, as well as others that all take the liberal positions on issues of gender/sex. But not excessively. There is only one multi-sex bathroom.

The location is rubbish. Not only is it out of the centre or Providencia and more towards a more residential area, but it is down a side street. But this means the value for money has to be high. It is good quality.

It's perhaps a bit more towards of a cafe though than fine cuisine full on restaurant.

PXYC

Post by PXYC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:03 pm

passport wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:36 am
Vegetarian fare in Providencia: El Huerto long-established, very creative, nice atmosphere
The food is not bad but El Huerto must be one of the most stressfull restaurants I've been, and I tried it several times until I finally accepted they would never fix what bothered me: it has way too many tables, with almost no distance beetween them, while employees are always running and nervously trying to attend so many customers (which also forces you to compete for you waiter attention), not to mention all the noise so many people stacked up can do around you.

On a business perspective I admire it, with so many customers and without animal protein costs they must have very good profits.. :lol:

passport

Post by passport » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Yeah they should get a new place and more help. Also, I am still on the norteamericano dining schedule and going there at a slow time is fine with me.

proger

Post by proger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:17 pm

fogón del pepe-puerto Montt

El Ping

Post by El Ping » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:29 pm

I haven't been back to Jeremy's since Jeremy went back to SA so no idea what it is like now.

Current Puerto Montt short list...

Chile Picante ... for an evening meal

Kiel .. for a fancy lunch

La Nave for a no nonsense lunch... its where 'out of towners' eat when they come into town. Try the Congrio a la Pobre if you are peckish..

Marina del Sur has a nice little restaurant open for lunch... short two item menu.... always very good when I have been there.

El Ping

Post by El Ping » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Lots of good tucker to be had in Punta Arenas.

Best of the best as far as I am concerned... Sotitos.... for cordero or congrio... never been disappointed...

Absolute worst restaurant in all of Chile if not the world or indeed the universe is just up the street. The Beagle... absolutely shocking... pass on the other side of the street..... avoid at all costs! ( I have a review on Tripadvisor tick the terrible box. )

Quite a few decent restaurants along Bernardo O'Higgins... one that I haven't tried but should is a steakhouse just along from Sotitos to the west..... always busy with up market looking clientale.

proger

Post by proger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 pm

something in la serena-coquimbo???

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:56 pm

I absolutely agree - Baco is a great restaurant by any standards. As is Fuegos de Apalta, the Francis Mallman resto in the Montes vineyard near Santa Cruz. la Boca in Pichilemu was delish a couple of years ago, and hopefully hasn’t changed. A good little Peruvian on Vitacura is El Otro Puerto Callao, particularly great pulpo al olivo, IMHO. Sadly thats about all I can think of ....

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm

There is a decent Thai restaurant in La Serena. In a residential neighbourhood - called Lemongrass.
Also think that Tololo beach is quite good.

proger

Post by proger » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:25 am

scandinavian wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm
There is a decent Thai restaurant in La Serena. In a residential neighbourhood - called Lemongrass.
Also think that Tololo beach is quite good.
thanks bro!
get it as a food truck near mall de Serena...