Fresh grown food

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
Gloria

Re: Fresh grown food

Post by Gloria » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am

41southchile wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 am
Gloria wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 am
41southchile wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 am
..... if I can find the right person I can minimize the hassle to a manageable level.
And that would be your biggest quest!
I know, you are right Gloria that is going to be the biggest issue, maybe I'll just keep it simple and stick to potatoes in a small area and tomatoes and cucumbers in the green house with the current staff I have looking after it.
They do a reasonably good ob on that at the moment. Like I said, IF (big if ) I have the right person I'll do it, otherwise just something small scale might be the more sensible option.
There you go! That´s more like it! Start small and keep it simple.See how it develops year by year and how much one person can manage it. It´s a back breaking job and only a person with a "strong back and weak mind" will be able to handle it. It´s a constant battle with mother nature controlling the weeds, nurturing the soil and keeping bugs away. At the end of the line makes you wonder if it is all worth it or a simple walk to the supermarket will do.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am
41southchile wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 am
Gloria wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 am
41southchile wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 am
..... if I can find the right person I can minimize the hassle to a manageable level.
And that would be your biggest quest!
I know, you are right Gloria that is going to be the biggest issue, maybe I'll just keep it simple and stick to potatoes in a small area and tomatoes and cucumbers in the green house with the current staff I have looking after it.
They do a reasonably good ob on that at the moment. Like I said, IF (big if ) I have the right person I'll do it, otherwise just something small scale might be the more sensible option.
There you go! That´s more like it! Start small and keep it simple.See how it develops year by year and how much one person can manage it. It´s a back breaking job and only a person with a "strong back and weak mind" will be able to handle it. It´s a constant battle with mother nature controlling the weeds, nurturing the soil and keeping bugs away. At the end of the line makes you wonder if it is all worth it or a simple walk to the supermarket will do.
That there is some good common sense. I especially like your last sentence, is it worth it ? Hell when I think of the drugs , alcohol and smoke and God knows what else I put into my body in my 20s then I'm probably doomed anyway, maybe I'll just stick to the supermarket 🤣 that ship has sailed.
I'll let ya know what I do in the spring, at the moment its going to be potatoes cucumbers and tomatoes.
My tomatoes sure taste better though I've eaten so many this summer, the supermarket ones never really did it for me so I guess that's a good thing in that sense.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

passport

Post by passport » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:06 pm

I've seen only one variety of squash (calabaza) in the supermarkets and fruterias, and it is just so-so. How about acorn squash, butternut squash, buttercup squash, spaghetti squash, and best of all red kuri squash? Do seed vendors have much selection beyond what you see in the grocery store?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm

passport wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:06 pm
I've seen only one variety of squash (calabaza) in the supermarkets and fruterias, and it is just so-so. How about acorn squash, butternut squash, buttercup squash, spaghetti squash, and best of all red kuri squash? Do seed vendors have much selection beyond what you see in the grocery store?
I've seen spaghetti and butternut squash, but you right like a lot of things variety is limited, local preferences I guess in a small market like Chile it's not worth it often
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile