Fresh grown food

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
41southchile

Fresh grown food

Post by 41southchile » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:14 pm

So I have been throwing this idea around for a while now and am trying to work out the best way forward with it.

Basically I want to have a vegetable garden on our property, it doesn't have to produce everything we eat in our house, I'm not that hardcore, but at least provide a good amount of food for me and my family , perhaps half ? and say a dozen different types of vegetables .
I dont want to use chemicals such as glyphosate ( I know its supposedly safe, but I am starting to believe that less and less), we have had vegetable gardens producing without it.
Also no other pesticides such as insecticides or herbicides. Again, we have grown potatoes without them and still had good results . As for fertilizers, well obviously plants need them so hopefully something natural.
The idea of going larger ( 1acre or so) is to be able to pay someone to do it, I was thinking like a land equity scheme too, but that maybe too complicated? . (Something like , someone set it up and run it for minimum wage for 5 years and I'll give them a plot of land, or something like that)
The idea is we get what we want for our consumption, and the rest is sold, to cover wages, I know we could easily find a market for that produce.
I have the land, can provide some labour to assist with some work, and I can provide materials for greenhouse etc.
The thing is I actually want someone that knows what they are doing and is able to keep upskilling with new ideas, rather than just the local day labourers that are available here.

So I guess the questions are,
Where would I find such a person?
How much would I pay them ? I guess that depends.
What is the best way to set up an operation like this ?
I like the idea of producing my own food but what happens if we go away for two or three weeks, or a month? I know it's not the idea of growing our own food but the practical side of it sometimes stops me, I know that doesn't fit with the narrative of the homesteading zealots but it is what it is.

I'm looking to outsource the growing of it to something i can still check on everyday I'm here, and like I say I'm not a hardcore homesteader or anything like that, but I have also had other people move here interested in buying from what I set up.

Nearly everyone that moves here wants to grow off the land, but its easy to dream, but not everyone has the time or skills to dedicate to doing it properly.

I want to have someone dedicated to that and that customers can come and check up on whenever and buy directly out of the green house.

Any suggestions or ideas or criticisms welcomed.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

passport

Re: Fresh grown food

Post by passport » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi Matt
You might get some ideas by browsing Indeed's Help Wanted ads here:
https://www.indeed.com/q-Permaculture-jobs.html
This site only lists USA jobs but they have a board for Chile as well

passport

Post by passport » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Yeah I was thinking permaculture too. It takes a bit more thought and effort, then time, to really hit its paces but when it does get there it takes less effort to maintain in production. Mulch, mulch, mulch.....

passport

Post by passport » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:30 pm

I remember visiting Tompkins' offices in Pto Montt maybe 12-15 years ago. At that time, they had a good size vegetable garden, being ecologically managed. Could be a source of contacts if they're still around.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:30 am

automatic sprinkler system and timers. way less hassel and cost.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 am

admin wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:30 am
automatic sprinkler system and timers. way less hassel and cost.
Yeah that is part if the solution, but the harvesting, weeding, planting, preparation, etc etc that cant be automated. Maybe a hassle (but most things are here) but its certainly achievable if I can find the right person I can minimize the hassle to a manageable level.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am

passport wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:30 pm
I remember visiting Tompkins' offices in Pto Montt maybe 12-15 years ago. At that time, they had a good size vegetable garden, being ecologically managed. Could be a source of contacts if they're still around.
Yeah you right, will follow up on that. Thanks

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 am

Julito wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 pm
Yeah I was thinking permaculture too. It takes a bit more thought and effort, then time, to really hit its paces but when it does get there it takes less effort to maintain in production. Mulch, mulch, mulch.....
Yeah have a guy from Colorado ready to set up his own on his parcela maybe can convince him to expand , although he only lives down here 5 months of the year , so not sure how that would go.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:53 am

passport wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 pm
Hi Matt
You might get some ideas by browsing Indeed's Help Wanted ads here:
https://www.indeed.com/q-Permaculture-jobs.html
This site only lists USA jobs but they have a board for Chile as well
Thanks for the tip, will look in to.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 am
..... if I can find the right person I can minimize the hassle to a manageable level.
And that would be your biggest quest!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 am

Gloria wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 am
41southchile wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 am
..... if I can find the right person I can minimize the hassle to a manageable level.
And that would be your biggest quest!
I know, you are right Gloria that is going to be the biggest issue, maybe I'll just keep it simple and stick to potatoes in a small area and tomatoes and cucumbers in the green house with the current staff I have looking after it.
They do a reasonably good ob on that at the moment. Like I said, IF (big if ) I have the right person I'll do it, otherwise just something small scale might be the more sensible option.