Sugary food in chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
fraggle092

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:41 pm

The latest abomination is supermarket bread, which is trucked in frozen. The instore "bakeries" just stick it in the ovens, and generally pull it out undercooked, so the result is dense and soggy. Of course, as bread is sold by weight, the stores make more money the higher the water content, as well as saving energy by undercooking. Both our local Unimarc and Santa Isabel stores indulge in this practice, and most people don't seem to notice how awful their bread is these days, especially the marraquetas. In fact I suspect that many prefer their bread this way as it seems to be more "filling". Ugh!
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 am

Keep in mind that healthy ice cream is an oxymoron. I find the food here is much better than the US, because I can walk down the street and buy all the fresh fruits and vegetables I want. The fish is caught locally, so I at least know where it came from. And wine is good and cheap. I try not to think about pesticides too much though. It could be better here than the US, or worse. I really don't know. But, aside from the pesticide question, I found that it's much easier and cheaper to get healthy food here, than in the US.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:41 pm
The latest abomination is supermarket bread, which is trucked in frozen. The instore "bakeries" just stick it in the ovens, and generally pull it out undercooked, so the result is dense and soggy. Of course, as bread is sold by weight, the stores make more money the higher the water content, as well as saving energy by undercooking. Both our local Unimarc and Santa Isabel stores indulge in this practice, and most people don't seem to notice how awful their bread is these days, especially the marraquetas. In fact I suspect that many prefer their bread this way as it seems to be more "filling". Ugh!
I don't eat bread, but have you tried some of the smaller almacens? I almost never buy food from a supermarket here. But I remember buying oranges at one, and they were just like the supermarket oranges I used to buy in the US. They looked good, but didn't taste very good. Even the worst ones I buy at the small almacens are better.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 am

mem,

The best price vs. quality Chile supermarket bought ice cream is from Big Food company Nestle. Read the ingredients as compared to the other Chilean made brands. It really is creamier and tastier than the water/skim milk/chemical laden competitors.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:26 am

Bread, supermarket bread varies from location to location within the same chain depending on the person in charge of the panaderia section and thus can change over time if that jefe gets fired or moves on. And yes, supermarket bread from the large chains come in frozen from the same provider so yeah, the skill and experience of the people involved in the bake does make a difference. Barrio bread bought at your local almacen can be far superior (at least here in Llolleo) as they usually contract with independent local operators and don't do the frozen Big Food bread.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:50 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 am
Keep in mind that healthy ice cream is an oxymoron. I find the food here is much better than the US, because I can walk down the street and buy all the fresh fruits and vegetables I want. The fish is caught locally, so I at least know where it came from. And wine is good and cheap. I try not to think about pesticides too much though. It could be better here than the US, or worse. I really don't know. But, aside from the pesticide question, I found that it's much easier and cheaper to get healthy food here, than in the US.
I naively asked a guy at the local fish market once in Puerto Montt where the Salmon was from, he gave me a wink and said, best not to ask those sort of questions around here. A while ago I saw an investigation in the local paper with photos from hidden cameras of piles of salmon on the back of a pickup truck, being unloaded in the sun.
Nearly every week there are reports of Salmon being stolen by the truckload. Plus lots of other illegal catches of seafood and fish. Even locals tell me when I am having guests tell me to buy seafood at Jumbo as at least you will have a receipt incase anyone gets sick. Meanwhile all the fishermen claim there just aren't the fish and seafood that there once was .
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 am

I rarely eat Chile salmon, it is all farmed toxic shit.

I buy what I know is locally caught in San Antonio. Anyone with experience or basic knowledge can determine how fresh a fish is.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 am

mem wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm
Regarding ketchup, multiple Heinz ketchup products on the store shelf. One is made in Mexico and the others in the US. The US ones have HFCS while the Mexican made one sugar.
Yes! I know it is darned confusing. Buying ketchup turns into a perry mason who dun it. My wife who is far sighted has the worst time getting the right ketchup. Long ago we made the mistake of thinking all the Heinz were the same. I hadn't zeroed it down to the country of origin, I just ended up reading the ingredients every freakin time we are at any store looking at anything purporting to be ketchup (dont even bother looking at anything with Don or Marco in the brand). Such a pain. Then I look around at the rabble that couldn't give a flying a fig about what is in their condiments while they are buying two liter bottles of Kem. Could that even have a more apt name? Chem/Kem?
Hahaha Chem, how could I not see that , it was there all along, very apt name indeed. Kem is actually top shelf compared to some of the toxic crap I've seen at other supermarkets on the poorer side of town. Ever noticed how the supers on the poorer side of town have none of the sugar free versions of a lot of the products now available, not that they are healthy but maybe less toxic or obesity inducing. You never see those there, is it because no one would buy them or something more sinister? Its toxic crap and generally a very limited range of toxic crap, suppose it does it make commercial sense to offer lite version.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 am
I rarely eat Chile salmon, it is all farmed toxic shit.

I buy what I know is locally caught in San Antonio. Anyone with experience or basic knowledge can determine how fresh a fish is.
Yeah , how about seafood? Could you tell if that had been caught in an area with marea roja? Has happened here the other day after a boat was intercepted having been fishing in areas closed due to red tide . I suppose I should be thankful that they are actually catching these sorts of people that are plundering whatever they can for some quick under the table lukas and dammed the consequences for any consumers.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:22 am

Fish is not affected by red tide but mariscos yes. Maybe the fishermen en El Sur are more cutthroat but any established with permiso stall in the fish market at San Antonio would not risk their reputation selling red tide clams, mussles, etc. Yeah, there are those selling on the street sin permiso, I would be skeptical about their product.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:28 am

I too used to think Chile was a lot healthier to get food than say somewhere more 1st world (for want of a better description) . Nowadays not so much. The abundance and availability of fruits and vegetables doesn't mean they are better than say the states. The agro industrial companies are probably on a parr with what you would find in the states, if not worse as they are able to use more products that in many countries have been outlawed, same with agriculture, poultry, pork etc. Up until recently the water used on crops was out of canals with effluent on some operations near Stgo. All that combined with slack oversight and poor attention to detail makes you think.
I talked to a doctor in Arica once who had done research about the high amounts of breast and Ovarian cancers there, basically it came down to blanket crop dusting of the area for pests and improperly spraying too close to urban areas from the 70s to 90s, the stats were similar in other towns with food production near the town.
I certainly would not say Chile is better than somwhere like the states when it comes to how healthy industrial scale food production is, scratch a bit deeper and there are some really ugly truths here,

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:48 am

Yes, the cancer rate here has to give one pause. But Chile was also downwind from the nuclear testing in the South Pacific by USA/France/etc. decades back. Bayer (who recently bought Monsanto) has had a presence in Chile for quite a while but not like the application and deadly results of Argentina (yet). And things like DDT for pest control probably continue (maybe that is why we don't hear much about bedbugs in Chile).

The best one can do is control as best possible what goes in the body and detox constantly via vitamins, herbs, saunas, chelation, etc.

--eeuunikkeiexpat