cranberry juice

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
hlf2888

cranberry juice

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:49 pm

when google translate cranberry, I get arandano... Arandano is blueberry. Maybe cranberry is too foreign a concept to have a word for it in Chile. Anyone know the Chilean word for cranberry, and/or where to buy cranberry juice? gracias

Donnybrook

Re: cranberry juice

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Although Chile grows a lot of cranberries it never worked out a name for them. They are often called arandano, which they are not, or just cranberry.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm

There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 pm

thank you Gloria, Donnybrook and EEUU

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Do not ask for arandano, that is for sure. You will almost certainly be understood as wanting a blueberry.

I think arandano rojo is the correct transition of cranberry, I was understood when using this. If you don't say rojo you will get azul.

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:36 pm

I think the word for it is cran-BER-ry. You gotta put the accent on the correct syl-LA-ble, and then they know what you are talking about. True story.

cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:36 pm

I went to the largest Lider and Jumbo in Concepcion. All they had was arandano and the color was red, probably red dye. The ingredients were arandano and grapes and sugar. No great value products.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 pm

In the south I have always known blueberries to be "Arandulas" not Arandanos-----simple marketing mistake I am sure on the part of chilean companies I am sure which makes it confusing----Arandanos I have always translated to cranberries.-----I think BritKids comment in regard to Arandano Rojo is the best method and you will not just get handed blueberries as most sales people don't know nor do they care.----That said, I am guessing if you are so specific about getting cranberry juice, you are looking for quality---Honestly, knowing Chilean food production, espeially in regard to mass production, your best bet is to find a grower or a shop that presses fresh juice---otherwise its going to be a lot of water sugar and red dye in the mix.

###

st130811

Post by st130811 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:21 am

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in our Jumbo in Santiago the cranberry juice isn't always with other juices. It is usually in the international section.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 am

thanks st130811

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:19 am

Yup, definitely "arándanos rojos" is the most accurate term for what you want.
st130811 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:21 am
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in our Jumbo in Santiago the cranberry juice isn't always with other juices. It is usually in the international section.
Yeah I've seen it there sometimes in Lider (with the other "gringo" products that are usually Walmart's 'Great Value' brand) but I was in a big Lider last night and saw it in the normal juice aisle.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:23 am

A lot depends on where you are. I can occasionally get Ocean Spray in Jumbo or Lider (also a cranberry and concord grape mix) and a Peruvian brand which is much cheaper but good. I will look at the name next time I buy one! The cranberries grown in Loncoche are 100% (I believe) exported to Ocean Spray. You can sometimes find cranberry juice or concentrate in those health stores - not a <SPAM WORD> but the sort of place which sells natural supplements. You can also buy cranberry capsules as a health supplement if what you want are the benefits. I take them.