Things to Bring

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
susiedillon

Re: Things to Bring

Post by susiedillon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks, Rhodolite! I have been able to get many of my fave spices and herbs in bulk at Washington - but had not seen ground coriander. Is it new? Is it always available? I was happy to find ground turmeric there but it was often not available!!!

Mongo

Re: Things to Bring

Post by Mongo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! In fact, I have used the search tool. My bad for not explaining that I'm looking for spices for industrial size applications, not how much you can get from the spice store, spice stores being a very good thing to know about, but definitely at the retail end of the price spectrum. One post suggested that cinnamon was grown in Coquimbo, but no location was given and that was five years ago. I'll keep looking. I've seen the prices on musical instruments in Santiago, and am certainly going to bring those with too.
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla is available from Amazon, but from what I hear, if you can import the beans it might be better to make your own extract from beans in vodka.
Right there with ya on the curry, that's a must have!