US Organic snacks in Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
janway

Re: US Organic snacks in Chile

Post by janway » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:26 pm

When I left England in my twenties and moved to Canada there were many items I missed and could not find but over the years I forgot what they were and learned to like what was available. Now I am in South America I find it better to just get used to what I can find here and forget about the food I ate in Canada.

I bet in a few years you won't even remember what you are missing!

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:53 pm

I feel the same, janway. I tend to make most things from scratch anyways, so paying 3X what one would pay in the US for some processed food is just not worth it. For me the toughest thing was finding certain spices for ethnic foods initially, but these days pretty much everything can be found, if you are willing to go to a few different places in Santiago. Some spice mixes may not be available, but it is easy enough to find recipes online so I can mix them myself.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
gringalais wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:Miracle Whip, the North Americanos, US/Canada love the stuff..
Not all of them. I think it's vile!
Vile?... No it is a fact...
N/A People thinking Mayonnaise bad for your health so instead using the Miracle Whip...
Maybe in the 1970's, I remember thinking I hated mayonnaise because my mom would put Miracle Whip on things and I thought they were the same - and my parents were sort of granola/hippy types for the most part. Since then, it seems like most people that eat it are those who aren't very sophisticated with food and generally eat only processed junk. It's been a while since I left the US, but I can't remember knowing anyone that would actually buy it. In fact it was sort of a joke with friends - a Wonder Bread, Miracle Whip, Spam and Velveeta sandwich - as one of the most awful things one could imagine eating. Not that we ever would. But then, I was living on the Central CA coast and SF.

Ayy, and shopping today my husband noticed that it was for sale and was intrigued. Joking (mostly) I said I might have to divorce him if he put that crap in the cart. He has a fascination with imported items he has never seen before, but I showed him the third ingredient was high frutcose corn syrup and he put it back on the shelf.

john

Post by john » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm

One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:00 am

janway wrote:When I left England in my twenties and moved to Canada there were many items I missed and could not find but over the years I forgot what they were and learned to like what was available. Now I am in South America I find it better to just get used to what I can find here and forget about the food I ate in Canada.

I bet in a few years you won't even remember what you are missing!
gringalais wrote:I feel the same, janway. I tend to make most things from scratch anyways, so paying 3X what one would pay in the US for some processed food is just not worth it. For me the toughest thing was finding certain spices for ethnic foods initially, but these days pretty much everything can be found, if you are willing to go to a few different places in Santiago. Some spice mixes may not be available, but it is easy enough to find recipes online so I can mix them myself.
Ditto the above in my personal outlook and experience. I even heard the same rhyming lines from a US expat in Chile who has been here twice as long as I have. I wish the OP luck in their venture but making money off of other US expats in such a narrow narrow enterprise…well…DYODD…(zer0 had some wise words on the matter, and the OP would not be the first to imagine and try such a venture)…if OP does it, don't make it an all or nothing thing or you have a 90% chance of joining the many who got their butt kicked in Chile and end up leaving in less than 5 years…
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:10 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:When are you making the returning pilgrimage to the sacred La La Land?
April and I an even more concerned this time what I can eat and bring back that has not been contaminated by Fuku radionuclides. Vitamin C dosing all the way!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:23 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:When are you making the returning pilgrimage to the sacred La La Land?
April and I an even more concerned this time what I can eat and bring back that has not been contaminated by Fuku radionuclides. Vitamin C dosing all the way!

Between the over processed and the radiated……..bit of a toss up. :D

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:36 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Ha,ha,haaa. Get one of those pocket Geiger apps onto your iphone/android~smart phones, and in less than two minutes to gettin' a dose-rate readings, using the software and carrying with me every time going shopping
to Japanese food market and even when going to the fish market..So far not even once found faint trace of
radiation presence on/in items procured..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Ha,ha,haaa. Get one of those pocket Geiger apps onto your iphone/android~smart phones, and in less than two minutes to gettin' a dose-rate readings, using the software and carrying with me every time going shopping
to Japanese food market and even when going to the fish market..So far not even once found faint trace of
For very superficial background radiation readings only. Those types of meters CANNOT read what is in the flesh or embedded in the food item. Those machines cost thousands of dollars and even then they are not reading the hundred other possible radionuclides that are/have been released.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:53 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
For very superficial background radiation readings only. Those types of meters CANNOT read what is in the flesh or embedded in the food item. Those machines cost thousands of dollars and even then they are not reading the hundred other possible radionuclides that are/have been released.
Yeah, I know...I see the pain and anxiety of fishermen,agriculturists, fruit and veggie growers day by day they have to monitor the radiation level on the goods they have to ship to the consumers. They have to grind/chop the samples to be tested daily in order to determine that the goods they need to sell in order to making the living and earn the needed money for their existence. It is very arduous choir day after day but they tenatiously enduring the rigours of sampling them in a minute attention so not to harm their region's products. I have touched and seen those huge radiation measuring casks/device mind you..And not _thousand, but tens to hundread grands, they are super expensive....
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.