US Organic snacks in Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
AMO

US Organic snacks in Chile

Post by AMO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Hello everyone

Living in Chile for a few months now and i've noticed there are quite a few things missing in the supermarket aisles so,...I was thinking I might start bringing in some dry goods from the states, mostly organic and gluten-free snacks and foods that you would find in stores like whole foods, trader joe's, etc. I've started compiling a list, but I figured I should check in with my fellow expats and was wondering if there is anything in particular that any of you would think it's a MUST to have or is needed. What munchies do you miss and would like to have easier access to? :P

I appreciate any input or advice.

Thanks.....8)

zer0nz

Re: US Organic snacks in Chile

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Hiper Lider, Jumbo Costanera, Alto Las Condes, Los Dominicos , and Tottus in kennedy etc all have gluten free and organic snacks..... they don't do the job?

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:21 pm

And SAG/Aduanas?

Also read this:

The Organic Illusion
http://farmwars.info/?p=12434

Probably better to move out of Santiasco and procure locally grown, known source goodies and make your own. More work but also more assurance you are really getting what you think you are getting vs. the commercially packaged and marketed items.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 pm

try the links in this thread, lots of paleo and gluten free goodies about.

http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic11393.html

AMO

Post by AMO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks! we're thinking of making it a small business, as we've seen a lot of folks here searching or missing certain products. We just haven't seen any of the products/brands that we're thinking of bringing, though we haven't checked out the organisk.cl market yet so we'll get on that; also wouldn't it be nice to just click away and get it delivered at your office or home?(in a reasonable amount of time).....free delivery within Santiago/free throughout Chile depending on amount.
Thanks again, all suggestions are welcome!

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:48 pm

AMO wrote:Thanks! We just haven't seen any of the products/brands that we're thinking of bringing, though we haven't checked out the organisk.cl market yet so we'll get on that; also wouldn't it be nice to just click away and get it delivered at your office or home?(in a reasonable amount of time).....free delivery within Santiago/free throughout Chile depending on amount.
Thanks again, all suggestions are welcome!

Have you seen the peso vs dollar right now?

So, your going to be paying retail unless you can afford to bring in a 20' container from the usa...

Then you have to ship it to chile.. about $5000 per kilo for small pacakges?

Then you have to pay import duties lets say around 6%...

You will need to pay the agent if your import is over $1000

You will need to pay to have all the products relabled in spanish to be approved to be imported into chile...

The way chile works is every item on every import needs to be approved for import, if they dont like a ingredient (there are ingredients chile doesnt like) you throw it all away...

Now you start to understand why people haven't done what you want to do?

Times are changing now, if you plan to go under the radar and not pay the taxes and avoid the health department you might get one or two shipments in before you start getting caught.

then you want a markup?

people remember how much they cost at home, they wont pay 3x the price here!

So, IMHO, how about take advantage of chiles great raw ingredients, eat fruit and nuts!, nice and simple!

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:49 pm

and the people who do import food, have a very limited range of products that sell well!

and chances are anything that sells well is already being imported!

AMO

Post by AMO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Thx. zer0nz, you've always been straight up. BUT you never know until you try........maybe? it's time for plan b. jajaja

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 pm

AMO wrote:Thx. zer0nz, you've always been straight up. BUT you never know until you try........maybe? it's time for plan b. jajaja
No problem, but i work in the industry i know what it takes!

Oh i forgot to mention to receive the import you must have a bodega that is first approved by the health department,

and to get that you must first have a patente

that means you must be approved by the comuna

to get that you must first be registered as a business

and so on :)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 pm

One thing I have seen is that storefront operations are able to surreptitiously sell products that were not brought in 100% legally by placing them on the shelves with the 100% legal items (saw this at an above mentioned place).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

BenedictKay

Post by BenedictKay » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 am

Well, here is my wish list - raw cashews; almonds that have definitely not been sprayed with PPO; raw hazelnuts; macadamias; peanut butter that is just made of peanuts; maple syrup; maple sugar; coconut products that have not been bathed in sodium metabisulphite: flour, flakes, oil, milk/cream, water, butter, powder (heck, what about just being able to buy a coconut!!??); coconut palm sugar; xylitol; raw cacao powder; raw cacao butter; agar agar powder; xanthum gum; bulk food grade bicarb soda; celtic sea salt or Himalayan sea salt; avocado oil; wheat-free tamari sauce; konjac noodles or flour; buckwheat groats or flour; and I have Chilean friends who would love some basmati rice.

As for organic... peanuts, cacao and buckwheat are the main products which (in my research) are better organic. And whether channelled through the US or not, I don't trust anything produced in China. Australia (eg) has stricter regulations for certified organic than the US, I believe, and may be a cheaper source of peanuts and macadamias (just a little aside). But having said that, most of the products on my list have a snowball's chance in h*** of making through customs, although... very easy to be relabelled in Spanish if they only have one ingredient...

I've recently read up on the other links for coconut flour and coconut oil, but have yet to attempt to order in Spanish over the phone or on-line. After searching through Iquique for the products that I HAVE managed to find, I can't help but be extremely pessimistic about my chances of a) placing an order b) the order being able to be sent to me up here, or c) the order actually arriving at my address. So I would be happy to be a part of a supply-chain effort such as you are proposing. :?