Wine of the week

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
nwdiver

Wine of the week

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm ging to put up my wine of the week here each friday.............
It's all about the wine.

nwdiver

Re: Wine of the week

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Block 21 Viento Mar Pinot Noir 2011 by Cono Sur

Grape Variety: 100% Pinot Noir

Good plus wine with red cherry and tart strawberries over baker’s spice and a dusty herbal note. The medium tannins are ripe and smooth and give good structure with the medium acidity. The fruit has medium plus intensity. The finish is medium and sweet. Drink now and for 3-4 years.

The wine's website:

http://www.conosur.com/wp3/wp-content/u ... 11-ENG.pdf
It's all about the wine.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm

nwdiver-san, very good..On the Vino suave, but where is the "dough" on that bottle.? I have been informed that the Chilenos there are pretty stingy on the Vino prices..Aren't they?.....
You have to post the price ranges of your Vino selection for affordabilty...Muchas Gracias..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Awesome, thanks for posting wine recs. Are you going to be able to let us know if they will have it at Lider or is that info you are not going to have since you are in summer right now? 8)

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:26 pm

subscribed!

also...in general in Chile, the longer the name, the more moolah for your uva
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:34 pm

picalena wrote:Awesome, thanks for posting wine recs. Are you going to be able to let us know if they will have it at Lider or is that info you are not going to have since you are in summer right now? 8)

pl

I'm in Canada until summer rolls around in Chile, I buy mainly from the wineries, the prices are much better the less intermediaries touching the wine and by the time it gets to Lider or Jumbo it has been touched by the winery and sometimes 2 greedy distributors wanting 100% mark up which turns a good 15,000 CP wine into 45,000 CP plus in the store..... the mass brands are bought direct as the companies are big enough and have market channels for large volumes........ it the smaller guys with premium wines that get screwed........ did you know a winery MUST pay a restaurant to carry its wine, up to 300,000 CP monthly per label....... and the restaurant wants a discount on top of the payola....... this is why Chile has very little "wine culture" when compared to a high tax country like Canada........
It's all about the wine.

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:44 pm

nwdiver wrote:did you know a winery MUST pay a restaurant to carry its wine, up to 300,000 CP monthly per label.
So I keep telling mr. pl this, and he keeps giving me that blank stare. I know you have posted a lot on this, and I am sorry to clutter your wine of the week thread, but is it a LAW that they have to pay, or is that just how it is done? I mean, if some savvy entrepreneur wanted to do something different, could they do that, or does the winery have to pay by law?

Thanks again,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 pm

picalena wrote:
nwdiver wrote:did you know a winery MUST pay a restaurant to carry its wine, up to 300,000 CP monthly per label.
So I keep telling mr. pl this, and he keeps giving me that blank stare. I know you have posted a lot on this, and I am sorry to clutter your wine of the week thread, but is it a LAW that they have to pay, or is that just how it is done? I mean, if some savvy entrepreneur wanted to do something different, could they do that, or does the winery have to pay by law?

Thanks again,
pl

It was how the wineries sold to the restaurant trade many years ago and its still in place, the distribution channels are also from many years of tradition not any legal reason, Chileans are creatures of habit..........
It's all about the wine.

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:58 pm

it's also interesting that those 45.000 pesos wines in Chile sell for less in the foreign markets, especially France (try and convince a French wine lover to drink a Chilean wine costing the same or more than their national favorites).
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Something for all you biodynamic types out there ;)

http://chilecopadevino.com/2012/12/07/k ... ina-koyle/
It's all about the wine.

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:53 pm

very good recommend! loved that one!
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:54 pm

btw, Lider had a sale on Viu Manet reserve in various cepas,