Fresh grown food

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
passport

Re: Fresh grown food

Post by passport » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:06 pm

I've seen only one variety of squash (calabaza) in the supermarkets and fruterias, and it is just so-so. How about acorn squash, butternut squash, buttercup squash, spaghetti squash, and best of all red kuri squash? Do seed vendors have much selection beyond what you see in the grocery store?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm

passport wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:06 pm
I've seen only one variety of squash (calabaza) in the supermarkets and fruterias, and it is just so-so. How about acorn squash, butternut squash, buttercup squash, spaghetti squash, and best of all red kuri squash? Do seed vendors have much selection beyond what you see in the grocery store?
I've seen spaghetti and butternut squash, but you right like a lot of things variety is limited, local preferences I guess in a small market like Chile it's not worth it often
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Right, so we are well underway with our gardens, potatoes, greenhouse etc. And eating from them already, admittedly only leafy greens so far.
Now to work out numbers, kilos needed per person, etc also for the protien side of it how many more animals we need, mostly chickens now and fish we think, the red meat is sorted, and milk for cheese will be next year .
Come along for the curanto on the 25th (see other post) and see what we have come up with our calculations, amongst other topics.
We not aiming to provide everything here but if we can get to 50 percent of peoples diet coming from their neighborhood that's good, where they know where it's from and who grew it and what went into it.
The guy, Juan Carlos, I have running this here is working on a permaculture system and we have adapted other stuff, but sticking to the principles of circular system. It's kind of experimental mode this year, still good results, we only started in June, we want to scale up to 20 hectares next year . Should be able to feed 50 percent of 200 peoples diets off that 20ha? With excess to sell? Sound right?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:31 pm

A friend of mine in Austin grows a variety of vegetables in his front and side yard. Maybe 150 square feet. He used old tires buried in the ground as planters as well as above ground planters and has a home made drip irrigation system feeding them. Water is scarce in Central Texas. He has five chickens in the back yard. They produce nicely as well. If you’re organized, you can produce a lot from a small area.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Zenth wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:31 pm
A friend of mine in Austin grows a variety of vegetables in his front and side yard. Maybe 150 square feet. He used old tires buried in the ground as planters as well as above ground planters and has a home made drip irrigation system feeding them. Water is scarce in Central Texas. He has five chickens in the back yard. They produce nicely as well. If you’re organized, you can produce a lot from a small area.
👍water not as issue here......yet.
I was talking to a guy here that helped me plant trees over the winter, he was saying for his family of 3 they have 5 chickens and a rooster and that supplies his family with eggs all year round as well as meat from the chickens. They sell the excess and that pays for the grain that he uses to raise them. It only costs him his time, in terms of financial outlay for raising chickens its zero, most of the materials for the chicken house, people gave to him, and he has the satisfaction of if, he likes doing things for himself he said, he says he would never touch a supermarket chicken . He gonna help us set up ours in January, probablystart with about 10 chickens.