Fresh milk and farmers cheese

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
41southchile

Re: Fresh milk and farmers cheese

Post by 41southchile » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:46 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:56 am
at46 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:23 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:15 pm
And if you check the etiqueta, both Lider and Tottus brand butters comes from Surlat.
Yeah, I know, and Jumbo butter, too, I think. That's why I was surprised to see Soprole butter consistently priced lower than the supermarkets' proprietary brands. I thought Soprole is dumping to increase their market share, but maybe not.
Surlat ceased to sell their "NO RECONSTITUIDA" milk as the proper season ended, while Soprole continued to sell theirs, continuously, through all winter months (I was watching the local ProviMarket, who are offering consistently low milk pricing, beating almost every other supermarket locally). I believe Soprole are using powdered source, while Surlat for some reason are not.
Dairy cows are milked all year round in Chile, there are higher volumes during the Spring months, but there is still a continual flow of fresh milk all year round for liquid milk markets.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:29 am
Hoy at Líder San Atntonio - $1.590 for Líder/Surlat butter, Soprole $2.090.
In Lider Express in Concon Soprole butter is always on sale at 1.590 while the Lider brand is like a hundred more. Gotta know butter prices for all my French cooking :)

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Re: butter in general. They recently started to sell in the streets (here in Valpo), for 1.200, and sometimes for 1.000 only, the ones that sell at around 1.490 in the nearby "Del Rio" chain. Like Kumey and Santa Sara (these brands are owned by La Vaquita now, if memory serves).

Though they sell very close to the expiration date. But the quality is the same as in the store.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:10 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:38 pm
Re: butter in general. They recently started to sell in the streets (here in Valpo), for 1.200, and sometimes for 1.000 only, the ones that sell at around 1.490 in the nearby "Del Rio" chain. Like Kumey and Santa Sara (these brands are owned by La Vaquita now, if memory serves).

Though they sell very close to the expiration date. But the quality is the same as in the store.
Thanks! I should check that out. I like Santa Sara - it's the only one slightly different then the rest. More fat content, less milk solids, I think.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 pm

There are about 3 spots in Valpo, all near the central market. Two near the corner, where the red building of the CENCOSAL store is. One on the Uruguay street, near the new Carnicero shop. But the vendors have stock VERY irregularly.

And to go further off topic (re. selling on the streets). My best buy was the Lindt Excellence chocolate 85% cocoa. I bought all they had (they were selling it at 1.000 peso, I bought 8 for 7 lukas). It was a couple of days after the expiry date. Only in Jumbo this sort of chocolate is selling. I think for more than 3.000. Never seen this phenomenon later.

Where do they put all the expired stock in Jumbo?.. I am willing to know.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:06 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 pm
There are about 3 spots in Valpo, all near the central market. Two near the corner, where the red building of the CENCOSAL store is. One on the Uruguay street, near the new Carnicero shop. But the vendors have stock VERY irregularly.

And to go further off topic (re. selling on the streets). My best buy was the Lindt Excellence chocolate 85% cocoa. I bought all they had (they were selling it at 1.000 peso, I bought 8 for 7 lukas). It was a couple of days after the expiry date. Only in Jumbo this sort of chocolate is selling. I think for more than 3.000. Never seen this phenomenon later.

Where do they put all the expired stock in Jumbo?.. I am willing to know.
The vast majority of that "cheap" stuff in the street is probably stolen, I would guess. If it's like the Salmon for sale and medicines in the Puerto Montt markets that's the most likely scenario.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile