Harina sin polvo, con polvo

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Harina sin polvo, con polvo

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri May 31, 2019 6:12 pm

The US King Arthur brand organic AP flour I brought into Chile, my chilena wife says is superior to any flour she has used in Chile. She recently made empanadas with it for my family in the States and they came out superb.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:12 pm
The US King Arthur brand organic AP flour I brought into Chile, my chilena wife says is superior to any flour she has used in Chile. She recently made empanadas with it for my family in the States and they came out superb.
Isn't America beautiful? :D Pretty expensive flour if you have to travel to get it there. The filling is the one that makes or breaks the title of a good empanada......the rest is all in your mind.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri May 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Fillings-wise, she said the ground beef was more molida than she would have wanted, but the end "taste" results were still exquisite.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri May 31, 2019 9:42 pm

I preferred chopped lean, nerve free meat myself instead of grounded. A lot more work but worth it.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

passport

Post by passport » Fri May 31, 2019 10:17 pm

Gloria, do you think with a kitchen-sized flour mill and wheat berries, it would be possible to improve on the flour in the grocery store? I mean like for bread - - and pizza crusts, a different story of course!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri May 31, 2019 10:35 pm

The flour sold at the super is ok. I have made crusty italian bread, pizza, croissants, bagels, pan amasado, empanadas, etc and all those goodies came out fairly good, however lacks more body for my taste. I personally wouldn't go doing the job or expense of grounding wheat berries.

BillVol

Post by BillVol » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:09 am

Well, now that I have 10 posts, I'll link the video I was talking about. Obviously, I have no financial interest in this. I think this is something everyone on this forum will appreciate. How to make marraquetas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P96WS6L8oaM

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:43 am

You could add vital wheat gluten to all purpose flour if it's available. That will make it stronger and better for yeast raised products.