Sugary food in chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
at46

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:54 pm
They are similar to decent size rock crabs of the US west coast.

Locally, crabs appear to still be quite plentiful along with mussels and clams. Jibia appears to have disappeared and large octopus I haven't seen any lately. Congrio, merluza, reineta, corvina, jurel, sierra, albacora, quantity and size vary day to day, week to week, month to month, one becomes comparatively plentiful and the others become scarcer and then it swings again.
I love living with the cycles of the sea and land here. It's a bit of a discovery every time I go to the market never knowing exactly what they're going to have for sale, who's going to be there and what new recipe they might share :)

Julito

Post by Julito » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Topical, not so much about sugar but still about food...
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... way-we-eat

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 am

I like that the author gave a fair amount of space to the fact that food has become homogeneous, i.e. every commercial apple or tomato you eat in most countries around the world have the exact same taste.

In Canada my friends who just moved into the country were using the food bank before they found their first jobs. The apples being distributed to them were donated from private orchards in the community. The fruits were mostly weirdly shaped and had a lot of other imperfections, but they were the tastiest apples I ever tried in Canada, and you never knew what the next one was going to taste like.

The article also has at least one glaring omission - glyphosate - and the fact that 9.4 million tons of that GMO chemical have been put into the environment since 1974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:40 am

Julito wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:16 pm
Topical, not so much about sugar but still about food...
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... way-we-eat
A really interesting read , thanks for posting
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:37 pm

So the Salmon industry in Chile is going to cut their use of antibiotics by 50% *within 6 years.
https://www.soychile.cl/Puerto-Montt/Vi ... un-50.aspx
Consumer pressure rather than anything else driving the decision,l.
Also a big PR campaign showing how they protect Patagonia going to happen too (I believe that's called greenwashing ?)

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:59 pm

I wish Chile introduced a country-wide ban on GMO foods. It could further focus people's attention on what they're putting into their bodies in addition to those 'high-sugar' 'high-fat' labels. Peru and Ecuador are officially GMO free, why not Chile? The least Chile could do is come up with a map of officially GMO-free areas in the country, or maybe even an official certification "Grown in a GMO-free environment". https://www.gmo-free-regions.org/gmo-free-regions.html

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 pm

at46 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:59 pm
Peru and Ecuador are officially GMO free, why not Chile? The least Chile could do is come up with a map of officially GMO-free areas in the country, or maybe even an official certification "Grown in a GMO-free environment". https://www.gmo-free-regions.org/gmo-free-regions.html
Why not Chile? big agribusinesses that's why . They control the food industry here, while a lot of people like to think Chile is some healthy food country where everyone can eat fresh and clean, that's actually bs unless you are growing your own. It's just the same as the USA down here too, where do you think super pollo amd other companies learnt how to produce so cheap, and where does all the grain come to feed them all?
Also I dont think this is even on the vast majority of the populations radar here, I won't say no one cares but they certainly wouldn't have a clue if you mentioned GMO to them, (a small sector yes).
Most don't even realise the ammount of chemicals that are sprayed onto their foods (up to 15 applications for growing potatoes) or antibiotics used in salmon, the demand for change there is coming from export markets like the U.S. not Chileans.
Its only those that have a little bit of education that are aware of issues.
Very few people care about organic food outside of the millenial or cuico populations of Santiago or the ex Santiago crowds in places like Frutillar or Puerto Varas.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Just be glad it is not as bad as Argie and Brasil...........yet.

And Bayer is quite established here so yeah.......yet.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:17 am

41southchile wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 pm
at46 wrote:
Peru and Ecuador are officially GMO free, why not Chile? The least Chile could do is come up with a map of officially GMO-free areas in the country, or maybe even an official certification "Grown in a GMO-free environment". https://www.gmo-free-regions.org/gmo-free-regions.html
Also I dont think this is even on the vast majority of the populations radar here, I won't say no one cares but they certainly wouldn't have a clue if you mentioned GMO to them, (a small sector yes).
Very few people care about organic food outside of the millenial or cuico populations of Santiago or the ex Santiago crowds in places like Frutillar or Puerto Varas.
Nowadays there are 2 brands of expensive free-range eggs even in Valdivian Líder! So at least there's enough demand for animal welfare.

I personally don't care about organic, this video explains why (citing many research pages):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PmM6SUn7Es

Summary: "organic" pesticides are still pesticides and used a lot, many organic foods are really not that organic, growing organic impacts environment more because it needs more land, etc.

I have a feeling that going full organic has significantly less impact on one's health than cutting the consumption of sugar, salt, fried foods, processed foods, and red meat.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 am

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:17 am
41southchile wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 pm
at46 wrote:
Nowadays there are 2 brands of expensive free-range eggs even in Valdivian Líder! So at least there's enough demand for animal welfare.

I personally don't care about organic, this video explains why (citing many research pages):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PmM6SUn7Es

Summary: "organic" pesticides are still pesticides and used a lot, many organic foods are really not that organic, growing organic impacts environment more because it needs more land, etc.

I have a feeling that going full organic has significantly less impact on one's health than cutting the consumption of sugar, salt, fried foods, processed foods, and red meat.
Yeah you maybe right but I was more trying to point out that if something like organic food and consumer demand for it is beyond most people's understanding then GMO is going to draw complete blank amongst the general population . Expensive free range eggs are still a niche product here, Valdivia has enough people to be able to afford them I imagine I bet you won't find any in La Union, Rio Bueno, Paillaco etc, just huevos de Campo.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:58 pm
Just be glad it is not as bad as Argie and Brasil...........yet.

And Bayer is quite established here so yeah.......yet.
Yeah true,
They had a big setback in another Roundup case today I see

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-baye ... SKCN1R02O3

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:49 am

in chile being an "organic farmer" = "too cheap or poor to buy pesticides, then someone told me i could get more money for my crappy produce if i called it 'organic' produce".

seen a sag study some years ago, that a actually the small farmers that everyone thinks would have more organic or cleaner food use way more than the big producers on average, because the big producers are controlling their costs and have the nohow to use the minimum required to get the job done. the little guys tend to over use the pesticides out of ignorance or the tendency to do the 'a little is good, a lot must be better'.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.