Bringing spices back to Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
at46

Re: Bringing spices back to Chile

Post by at46 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm

mem wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 am
at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:19 pm
KDnR wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:33 am
Food in Chile is so tasteless...
Learn how to cook and your life will change forever. Ingredients you get at the ferias here are pretty awesome, and Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Arabic ingredients are available in Santiago.
So so true. My first paradigm shift was on cooking steaks...just pedestrian steaks. Had been eating them for years overcooked. So much so I had to buy worchestire sauce in bulk to rehydrate the steak and give it flavor. It was a dark and bleak existence

Then I discovered Gordon Ramsays method of cooking steak and it was like night and day. All I needed was salt and pepper and a stove and an oven. Never used worchestire again.
Lol, I learnt it from him as well! This is the video that broke me in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4

72Shilden

Re: Bringing spices back to Chile

Post by 72Shilden » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Gordon Ramsay-style steak IS a delicacy, this, or a large piece of beef BBQ'd at slow speed for an hour... It remains tender and tasty, without being raw red either (call me a criminal, a heretic, but I don't like rare beef...)
Even the least beef-oriented people I know asked for seconds when I cooked that for the first time!