Bringing spices back to Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
xilantro

Re: Bringing spices back to Chile

Post by xilantro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi;

Merkén is a traditional Mapuche preparation using the spiciest local chile (ají), a varietal called Cacho de Cabra, mixed with toasted corriander seeds (cilantro), salt, and a few other things. It is not necessarily hot. Hot foods are, for all intents, non-existent in Chile - so much so that people will claim one 'hot sauce' (mostly vinegar & salt) is 'hotter' than another when it has more salt...

As for the actual hot spices I've found so far: In the past decade a Peruvian chile called Rocoto has made its way into popular usage. It can be found mostly at farmers' markets, and is by far hotter than the Cacho de Cabra. On the other hand most supermarkets now carry a hot-sauce called 'Toro Diablo - Salsa Ají Putamadre' which is fairly hot, if still a little heavy on the vinegar & corn-starch action.

the19trier

Post by the19trier » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:10 pm

I brought grounded spicy via US here without an issue either.

Are there any spicy food (I mean really spicy) here?

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:42 pm

Just saw some Vietnamese cinnamon at the Zona Franca in Punta Arenas...if you happen to be headed that way.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:16 am

hiplace1980 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm
Me excessively like everyone of these flavors and furthermore have an immense zest set at rawspicewar. You can check out spice set from that point.
......Just say no to drugs!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 pm

Declared them twice and they didn't bother opening my luggage each time, must have an honest face. Last time the customs bloke was more interested in my Skype address, he wanted to practice his English with me.

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:03 am

Gloria wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:16 am
hiplace1980 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm
Me excessively like everyone of these flavors and furthermore have an immense zest set at rawspicewar. You can check out spice set from that point.
......Just say no to drugs!
Whew, thanks for clarifying Gloria. I read it 3 times and thought I'd had a minor stroke...

mem

Post by mem » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm

If things don't go well with your bringing the spices back...you can ship yourself spices (organic too) from vitacost. The trick is to keep each order under $80 bucks USD. Better under $50. It also needs to be under 3.6 pounds...then the shipping is only 11.99 USD to Chile and we have never had to pay import fees (probably based on keeping the total amount low).

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:51 pm

This morning my wife came from the States and brought several pounds of different spices (seeds, not grounded). At customs, they searched her bag and they paid no attention at all to the plastic bag with spices. We always bring that here and never had any problems.