Moving soon to Chile - what foods can be brought

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: Moving soon to Chile - what foods can be brought

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 am

Ramana66 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 am
I am thinking of bringing some rice, Indian ground spices, Indian lentils (broken, without skin) of different varieties, so none of these can be germinated or considered as seeds!!.
I think SAG would be concerned about possible diseases. I don't think they would care if they could still germinate, unless they were some kind of invasive plant.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:38 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 pm
My experience, I've brought in more than a years supply of allowed food items many times without Aduanas batting an eye so the quantity where questions begin can be quite high. I believe drug searches are done by drug dogs before luggage is put on the carousel. Inside the arrivals terminal, friendly food dogs make the rounds.
Thanks, what kind of food items are these? and How much quantity approximately you brought? What did you declared on the form? I will only bring whatever is allowed (or difficult to found, such as Tamarind paste), but will definitely declare whatever I bring (in the worst case, it can be binned).

By the way, when I visited couple of months ago, I brought a bag of oats, wheat bran, cinnamon powder and Chia seeds (my routine breakfast) and declared all of these. The SAG were only interested in Chia seeds (about 250g pack), but allowed it and they were not even bothered to look at other stuff.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm

It's usually Japanese and other Asian condiments or mixes so all factory bottled or sealed packets. These days I usually bring in 6 months worth of each every trip as I have recently been traveling twice a year and need to make space for other items to bring into Chile. Also bring in different vitamins and supplements, sometimes a year's worth for more than one person and I've never had any issue with Aduanas over those quantities.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Que es esto!? Was the inquiry from Chilean custom inspector in Chile. She had seen the image of a Japanese tea ceremony bowl but in her mind, it was an image never seen in her life. I asked her, Que crees esa imagen es? She said no idea and then rapidly said, Dimelo pronto! I had to tell her that I brought the Green Matcha Tea utensils along the Bowl to prepare special kind of Green tea. She said after my explanation of why the big bowl, well I learned another new thing today! Ha,ha,haa
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.