Fresh milk and farmers cheese

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
KDnR

Fresh milk and farmers cheese

Post by KDnR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:22 pm

Does anyone have an idea how I could locate fresh milk in Santa Cruz area? I can not stand that stuff that they sell in the store. I am trying to make farmers cheese (which I also can't find it in stores) myself. My mom used to do that, it's a simple process. But it is not possible to make it with that store bought milk here.

jamie_m

Re: Fresh milk and farmers cheese

Post by jamie_m » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 pm

I believe Jumbo Rancagua have fresh milk. That is the closest I know of to you. Or you could go South to Sagrada Familia, near Curico, there is usually a guy outside the Unimarc selling fresh milk. I'm sure it's ok but it looks sketchy in old plastic Coke bottles :)

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:06 am

If by fresh you mean unpasteurized, then it's illegal to sell that here for human consumption. I found that people are pretty cautious when I drove around looking for it here in the fifth region, but you might still find it through some friends or acquaintances.

And if farmer's cheese is the same as cottage cheese, then the latter comes out pretty nicely by culturing any store bought milk with pajaritos de kefir (mercadolibre.cl) and cooking-straining-pressing as usual.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:57 pm

Thank you so much jamie_m and at46 for your response.I started asking people in town, maybe I'll find someone who would be selling.

Regarding making farmers cheese from the "liquid" they sell in store.... it would never be the real thing.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 pm

I found a local farmer that sells fresh milk in Santa Cruz! And it is also in sketchy old plastic Coke bottles. That is how they do things here I guess. This Sunday I will have farmers cheese :).

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Well, this article suggests an interesting theory, pretty much blaming New Zealand and free trade for the poor quality of Chilean dairy
https://sago.cl/colun-22032018/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Im sorry, but chilean dairy products suck for exactly the same reason they can not make beer: they are dirty and sloppy in the handling of the products.

Sour beer = dirty beer

Bad cheese and milk, same thing.

I grew-up around the dairy farms of Minnesota. The milking facilities in every dairy farm i have visited in chile has been filthy, by any even low international standards.

The cheese, ooozes fat and tast like crap, if it taste like anything at all. "Queso fresco" = "we were too lazy to produce real cheese and will sell you this white crap we put together".

The dairy industry in chile has very long way to go, and the only ones with a clue about how to run a dairy industry are the new zealanders investing in chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Many people (including me) consider COLUN (Chilean-owned company that collects milk from local farmers) much better then Quillayes (NZ-owned company that uses powdered milk from NZ).

Queso fresco is cottage cheese, we're quite happy to have it here because it's the closest thing to Eastern European cottage cheese (though more tasteless on its own). Mix it with sour cream or yougurt, add some jam or fruits and a perfect evening meal is ready.

COLUN and other Chilean companies completely fail at making Brie and Camembert but I love their milk and cheeses overall. Not far from Finnish dairy which is one of the best in the world

mem

Post by mem » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:20 pm

I know...milk in the stores just tastes dead. Just dead. There is only one brand that doesnt have nasty additives

In region 9 we get raw milk from some german dairy farmers nearby but its under the table/cloak and dagger. We know of a lot of gringos that do the same with chilean dairy farmers. Its who you know like so much else in chile

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:00 pm

mem wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:20 pm

In region 9 we get raw milk from some german dairy farmers nearby but its under the table/cloak and dagger. We know of a lot of gringos that do the same with chilean dairy farmers. Its who you know like so much else in chile
:o

I guess I'm missing the gringo connection!