Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Post Reply
Lani123
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 am

Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post by Lani123 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm looking for a charity to donate a few gifts to this year. I need something a bit organised with names and ages as it's for a Kris Kringle event and people need to know who to buy for.

I know Starbucks is doing a drive but the cafes nearby are all out of names, and apparently waiting on more. Are any of the malls or big dept stores running present drives?

Thanks :)

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3165
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

I don't know any which target specific ages. Some now ask for a donation and buy the presents so they have the right number of boy/girl/age specific gifts. There is the central post office which has the letters to Santa, each written by an individual child and the post office delivers presents for free. The Catholic churches have boxes with specific family names on them and age and gender of everyone. They are more aimed at non-perishable food (there is a suggested list) and you can donate some $ for a chicken as well as include gifts if you want.

Maybe others can add to the list?

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post by nwdiver » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Every year several of my family and I go down to the post office and read through letters there are thousands, most say “I WANT A BIKE”, but some are very endearing and heartfelt, we normally do 4-5 presents which are delivered by the Posties. It’s a good tradition.
It's all about the wine.

Lani123
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 am

Re: Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post by Lani123 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Does Correos also take care of delivery? Do you drop the gifts back to their outlets? I thought people had to do the deliveries themselves...

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3165
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Lani123 wrote:Does Correos also take care of delivery? Do you drop the gifts back to their outlets? I thought people had to do the deliveries themselves...
They deliver for free, although you can choose to deliver yourself if you want. You take them to the central post office. At least that is where I have dropped them off and I don't know if local offices accept them. It is important to choose a letter as soon as possible, otherwise you are left with the ones who want a laptop! I have seen families collecting several letters. The lady who started the idea is now retired from the postal service but goes back to help oversee the project every year.

User avatar
momof3
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post by momof3 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 pm

nwdiver wrote:Every year several of my family and I go down to the post office and read through letters there are thousands, most say “I WANT A BIKE”, but some are very endearing and heartfelt, we normally do 4-5 presents which are delivered by the Posties. It’s a good tradition.

I really like this idea, but I wonder if all post offices in Chile do this? Do they have a Santa Claus bin? Do they advertise this? I get a kick out of making the Santa experience magical for a kid.
We agree to disagree.

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3165
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Charity collecting xmas presents?

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 pm

momof3 wrote:
nwdiver wrote:Every year several of my family and I go down to the post office and read through letters there are thousands, most say “I WANT A BIKE”, but some are very endearing and heartfelt, we normally do 4-5 presents which are delivered by the Posties. It’s a good tradition.

I really like this idea, but I wonder if all post offices in Chile do this? Do they have a Santa Claus bin? Do they advertise this? I get a kick out of making the Santa experience magical for a kid.
All the letters are in the main post office downtown on the Plaza de Armas. They try to separate themm a bit by ages but people take the letters out and don't always return them to the same bin. There are LOTS of letters. They do it every year and it is well known. There are bits about it on local news every year.

Sometimes the kids ask for things, sometimes they ask for Christmas dinner. Sometimes the requests are more personal and heartbreaking.

Post Reply