Seeking Soup Kitchen Volunteers

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
PadreCristobal

Seeking Soup Kitchen Volunteers

Post by PadreCristobal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Parroquia Ntra. Sra. de Andacollo, located at Ricardo Cumming and Mapocho (Santiago Centro), serves lunch to the needy of the neighborhood Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Many of our guests are elderly, living alone, and the meal offers a special time for feeding the soul through community as much as feeding the stomach. If you have time available anywhere within the period of 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., we can use your heart and your hands at the soup kitchen. If you have time early, it would be food preparation. We serve the meal to our guests, starting at 12:30 p.m., and this is a time where we need additional hands to serve. Naturally, after the meal is served, dishes, cups, and pots remain to be scrubbed. If you can lend some time, we'd be most grateful. Feel free to contact me here in the forum or at my e-mail ccox_csc@yahoo.com.

We also welcome donations of foods, non-perishable is preferred.

Additionally, used clothing is also a welcome donation.

One-hundred years ago, a high school student began to volunteer in our parish and school. He continued to serve not only through high school but into his college years as he studied law. In fact, he wrote his thesis about the value of home labor performed by people in this neighborhood. He discovered his vocation, a call to the priesthood, and joined the Jesuits. When he returned from studies in Europe, he fished a few abandoned children from under a nearby bridge over the Rio Mapocho and began the first Hogar de Cristo just down the street from us. Today, he is known as St. Alberto Hurtado. St. Alberto Hurtado found his vocation at Andacollo, and I trust that you will find joy and saitisfaction serving the needy here as he did.

Thanks for reading this far!

Fr. Chris Cox, C.S.C.
Pastor
Parroquia Ntra. Sra. de Andacollo
Santiago Centro

admin
Site Admin

Re: Seeking Soup Kitchen Volunteers

Post by admin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Note to mods, this has been cleared.

On a side note, besides helping someone else out, it might be a great opportunity to help your Spanish. In fact, likly better than a million dollars worth of Spanish courses.

Growing up I volunteered in various retirement homes, and the most important help many of the people needed was someone to talk to and they were in no particular hurry to be somewhere else.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:32 pm

<nothing>

PadreCristobal

Post by PadreCristobal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote: Question:

What is the very best in this world? I mean, absolutely, that is, what is the Best of the Best?
Hmmm, difficult question. Best of the Best? As a Catholic priest, who enjoys some philosophy, it is virtually impossible not to give a teleological answer (as distinguished from a theological answer): the Best of the Best is being exactly who God made you to be. We spend so much time seeking "mimetic desires," to borrow the term from Rene Girard. We see someone else with something or seeking something (e.g., the long lines to acquire the latest Apple gadget), and, hence, we must have it, too, or, better, an even more advanced model. These desires to copy (mimetic has the same etymological origin as mimeograph) are the root of competition, aggression, and war, according to Girard. The Best of the Best is to be uniquely, authentically who God made me to be. Rather than follow mimetic desires, it is to follow the heart's desire-- that place, so interior, where God's will and my will are one. It is a place of present peace and joy as well as enduring hope and peace and joy in the midst of trial. Living now from the heart's desire, then, is the Best of the Best.

How does that sound?

momof3

Post by momof3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Welcome Padre!
We agree to disagree.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

<nothing>

PadreCristobal

Post by PadreCristobal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:Question:

Lots of suffering around us, and there is no end to it, it seems. Pain and sickness, aging and death, and there is no visible escape. As the World was created, what do you think, all this suffering -- was it an organic part of the Creation? As per the wise intention of the One, who Knows best? Could it be otherwise?
Mmmm. That is another deep question. I took a class at Notre Dame about trinitarian theology. It was taught by Catherine Mowry LaCugna. She was a fantastic professor who had just written a book, God for Us. She was a brilliant mind. Ever the introvert, she would think before speaking (my opposite), and, as she would think, her eyes would blink, like the old computer hard drives. So we would say, privately, "engaging the hard drive." She was one of the most demanding professors in evaluating our writing. She would not accept sloppy arguments about anything. In perhaps chapter six of the aforementioned book, she wrote of "Lamentation" as a form of prayer. That even when the world is falling down around us, in our pain, when we turn to God and ask, "Why?," even that is a form of prayer. It says that God, the creator of all, still holds all in God's hands. As students, we knew that she had suffered from a bout of breast cancer a couple of years before. Fiercely private, we wondered how we might elicit some conversation from her about the writing of that chapter, which surely served as the backdrop for what she wrote. When we formulated the question, she began a reply, not only from the hard drive, but also from the heart. All pens and pencils rested as we listened to her reply. That was 1994. She died of recurrence of her breast cancer in May of 1997. God is God for us.

In addition to being a priest, I love photography. I may not be able to explain why we have suffering, but I think that God made the world beautiful. God made it so beautiful that it might embrace all this world's pain. My religious order is the Congregation of Holy Cross. Our founder, Bl. Basil Moreau, gave us the motto: Ave crux spes unica, Holy Cross, our only hope. Mysteriously, in suffering is found our hope. I suppose that I pray to be a person with hope to bring.

While nowhere near a complete response to the question, it is the best that I can do for now.

By the way, I am delighted by the generosity of some who have contacted me from this thread already! Thank you!

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:26 pm

My entire exposure to the Catholic Church before my 50th year consisted of a few trips with a childhood girlfriend to church, my husband of twenty years and the child-molestation scandal.  I have always been skeptical of the pomp and ceremony of any organized religion.

Earlier this year, I ventured to an indigenous area of Panama, stayed several days and read a book by an incredibly gifted writer about the history of the people of this region.  I saw first hand the way that his brothers in the Catholic Church improved the lives of the people of this area, stood up for the, sometimes at great expense, yet respected their individual and ancient beliefs and traditions.  

Several weeks ago,  again had the opportunity to visit another area of the comarca (loosely translated meaning reservation) where another innovative priest has created an incredible community which improves the lives of the indigenous people who live there while respecting their heritage.  

As a person who has long been an antagonist of the Catholic Church, it is people like you, and those I have recently met, who, through actions, cause me to pause and consider differently.  You are "the walk", I think.

And I was happy to see that you appreciated our Rune, and his questions.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Deeply considered questions and answers. Now that is music to the ears.

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Hello and welcome Father Christopher. I would love to help and have just PMd you.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Kimberley wrote:Deeply considered questions and answers. Now that is music to the ears.
Right. Ready for Empty Hands Radio.

brian.usa

Post by brian.usa » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:01 am

Hello Christopher,

I would love to help the less fortunate as well. I plan to send you an email next week so I can help. :)