U.S. Gold Mining Company to Strip Mine in the Patagonia

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Vicki and Greg Lansen

Geocom Sept 07 Press Release on Region X Ventures

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:58 am

Here is the latests PR from Geocom on it's ventures in the Futa/Espolon area:

http://www.geocom-resources.com/investo ... ewsid=1767

G

Pascua Lama to remove glaciers!

Post by G » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 am

Hey Moderator, All!
Catch a gander at this post from Angryscientist.com. I find it hard to believe, but they intend to remove glaciers in their pursuit of profits to stockholders.
"Barrick, a gold mining company based in Canada, recently got approval from Chile to go ahead with its controversial Pascua Lama project. Opponents claim Barrick will destroy two glaciers high in the Andes to get at the gold beneath. Originally the plan was to relocate these glaciers. Barrick denies the orebody it wants to mine is under any icefields or glaciers. It says glaciologists classify the icefields involved as glacierets or ice reservoirs rather than traditional glaciers. However, Barrick quotes COREMA, the regional Chilean environmental agency: “the company shall only access the ore in a manner that does not remove, relocate, destroy or physically intervene the Toro 1, Toro 2, and Esperanza glaciers.” So if there was never any plan that would endanger these glaciers, since according to Barrick they are outside the limit of the pit containing the orebody it intends to mine, what is COREMA referring to?"

Go figure. Just classify a large mass of ice as a glacierette, or glacierets, and viola! That and find some middle government officials who don't understand their craft....

Miningwatch.ca has an 05 article regarding the Pascua Lama project, as well did geology.rockbandit.net. Both were concerned, yet hoping (perhaps beyond hope) that Chile would get it right, and end the project. Clearly, the lawsuit of the gentleman who's lands were sold for $20, is stalling the project, but remains only a hurdle, if Barrick decides to pay the man decently.
Check out this post from naturalmatters.net:
"Halt the destruction of glaciers providing pure water
No to Pascua Lama Open-cast mine in the Andean Cordillera on the Chilean-Argentine frontier.
We ask the Chilean Government not to authorize the Pascua Lama project to protect the whole of 3 glaciers, the purity of the water of the San Felix Valley and El Transito, the quality of the agricultural land of the region of Atacama, the quality of life of the Diaguita people and of the whole population of the region.
Judge for yourself if you want to take action.
In the Valle de San Felix, the purest water in Chile runs from 2 rivers, fed by 2 glaciers. Water is a most precious resource, and wars will be fought for it. Indigenous farmers use the water, there is no unemployment, and they provide the second largest source of income for the area. Under the glaciers has been found a huge deposit of gold, silver and other minerals. To get at these, it would be necessary to break, to destroy the glaciers - something never conceived of in the history of the world - and to make 2 huge holes, each as big as a whole mountain, one for extraction and one for the mine's rubbish tip.
The project is called PASCUA LAMA. The company is called Barrick Gold. The operation is planned by a multi-national company, one of whose members is George Bush Senior. The Chilean Government has approved the project to start this year, 2006. The only reason it hasn't started yet is because the farmers have got a temporary stay of execution. If they destroy the glaciers, they will not just destroy the source of specially pure water, but they will permanently contaminate the 2 rivers so they will never again be fit for human or animal consumption because of the use of cyanide and sulphuric acid in the extraction process. Every last gramme of gold will go abroad to the multinational company and not one will be left with the people whose land it is. They will only be left with the poisoned water and the resulting illnesses.
The farmers have been fighting a long time for their land, but have been forbidden to make a TV appeal by a ban from the Ministry of the Interior. Their only hope now of putting brakes on this project is to get help from international justice. The world must know what is happening in Chile. The only place to start changing the world is from here. We ask you to circulate this message amongst your friends."

Obviously, they have a test case here. If all goes well, then they'll start hunting for St. Rafael, Bruggen, Jorge Montt, perhaps even O'Higgins itself, and open that national park up to strip mining....why, as easy as saying that they're glacierets....

I wonder if anyone realizes the tremendous benefit that these metals have inside their environments? That the glaciers weights are pressing down on these and other minerals, providing the base of healthy waters flowing down both of these two river valleys, all the way to the ocean. We underestimate and don't understand the true value to all of leaving the metals and minerals in their natural state, to continue providing their micronutrients to the valley and it's inhabitants.
We are composed of so many divergent and differing materials, and yet, no thought as to how to replenish these in the modern world, whose rampaging capitalism is seeking to ruin everywhere.
We have completely farmed out the US from the residual minerals in the soil, and adulterate it with petroleum and human waste in the form of NPK to make up for the soils depletions, in the process killing and ridding the soil of it's micro organisms, who's job it was to replenish the soils with the minerals and nutrients the farmer needed to grow anything.

Ok....I'll chill out, breathe....just breathe....G....getting out.

RWS

Post by RWS » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:25 pm

"NPK", G?

RWS

Post by RWS » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks, EE.UU. 'Makes sense, in context.

G

Periodic Elements

Post by G » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:34 am

Sorry, I forgot NPK could stand for much more than the Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium that I intended.

greg~judy

Re: Pascua Lama to remove glaciers!

Post by greg~judy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 pm

g~j have been following along this story for a while...
In relation to Au~Ag research + mining stocks
:idea:
Here now, we have an opportunity...
To dredge up a long-gone (3 yr) thread.
Welcome back to the controversy :!:

BTW... this is not in relation to Patagonian mining.
Pascua Lama is way north/central....
Also, the proposed mine is only 25% in Argentina = 75% in Chile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascua_Lama
Argentine judge grants glacier law exemptions for Pascua Lama

An Argentine federal judges suspended the application of six articles of the country's new glacier protection law to Barrick's Pascua Lama project

(Reuters) An Argentine judge has ruled that key articles of a glacier protection law cannot be applied in San Juan province, where Barrick Gold Corp is building a large mine, an official news agency said on Tuesday.

Mining industry analysts had warned that the new law could hinder construction of Barrick's Pascua Lama mine, although the company says the ore body it has permission to mine does not lie under a glacier.

The glacier protection law bans mining and oil drilling on glaciers and the areas surrounding them.

San Juan federal Judge Miguel Angel Galvez, ruling on a complaint presented by mining industry groups, suspended the application of six key articles of the law in the Andean province, the judiciary's news agency said.

Daily La Nacion quoted him as saying provincial governments had the constitutional right to decide how to manage their natural resources.

The judge suspended the article banning activities that could affect glaciers as well as the part of the law that defines glaciers.

President Cristina Fernandez vetoed a similar law two years ago on the grounds it would hamper growth of provincial economies, causing controversy in a country where anti-mining sentiment is strong. The new law was passed in September.

Barrick, which also runs the Veladero mine in San Juan, said it was not surprised by the federal judge's ruling.

"We were not surprised by this decision given the province already has legislation in place that protects glaciers to which Barrick is in full compliance," company spokesman Rodrigo Jimenez said.
http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/min ... ail&pid=33
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

admin
Site Admin

Re: U.S. Gold Mining Company to Strip Mine in the Patagonia

Post by admin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 pm

yea, this is all very old news. very old.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

greg~judy

Re: news?

Post by greg~judy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:28 am

admin wrote:yea, this is all very old news. very old.
:?:
But, perhaps this Argentinian judge's ruling (on 02 Nov. 2010) is not so old?
Is this very new news, very new?

Some may agree the original controversy is "very old"
Barrick first purchased the property in '97
Then followed a lurid and contentious history through the Noghties

Another environmental squabble erupting again - not likely?
Construction has started, plant commissioning will be in late 2012
Production will commence in early 2013.
pascua lama.jpg
pascua lama.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:37 am

... and in these times when it seems apparent that the economies being sustained (or even more than just sustained) on the extraction of their mineral wealth are the ones that are growing and staying afloat in the world economy, it's no surprise that economic potential and resource friendly laws are favoured. I wonder what the rehabilitation laws are like, bit hard to get it back to its natural state after mining is done I would imagine, not so hard up here in the Atacama.

Ellen-y-Rene

Post by Ellen-y-Rene » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 am

Did anybody see the documentary on CNN Chile about the gold mines in Chile in the last week or so? It seems that it's really very dangerous to live in sunch an area and sometimes it even can be lethal. The problem is that the government does not inform people who live in those areas nore do they when anyone buys a peace of land there. If CNN Chile sends out a repetition try to watch it because it's an eyeopener.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:29 pm

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 604375.htm

so...where is this company buying mineral rights to mine what...for this $ amount?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 am

here we are all these years later, and that valley is still very much untouched as far as what I hear. That valley is far from shovel ready. There is still no road in to it (well horses and cow sort of roads).

The environmentalist are throwing a fit over the power lines for hydro-aysen. They should be throwing a fit over all the mining companies waiting for a the roads that will be built to support the power lines that will give them access to those mining rights across the Northern Patagonia.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.