Just in case anyone wants to help

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
gringalais

Just in case anyone wants to help

Post by gringalais » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:27 pm

WARNING, the picture below is very sad.

Yes, me and abandoned animals again :) . Yesterday my friend and I rescued this dog. He was dumped across the street from where we live and in terrible shape. The woman whose house he was in front of was threatening to dump him in the garbage dumpster.

He has mange over 90% of his body and is malnourished. He is currently undergoing treatment and will have to be hospitalized for at least 3 weeks. He is at the clinic Isotta y Marinovic, Jorge Matte Gormaz 2622, Providencia. The receptionist named him Gandalf. Fortunately, they are only charging us hotel rates for his stay, not hospitalization rates and the vet was going to see if the groomer who will bathe him today will reduce his fee a bit.

We have paid for some days of his stay and the first treatments and will continue to, but we are hoping that people who care about animals would be able to chip in something for his care, even a few dollars/lucas will be a help.

I have set up a site where you can pay by paypal. If not, I can send you my info to deposit into my cuenta RUT. We are keeping strict track of donations and outlays, with scanned receipts, if anyone wants to see them. I also have a Facebook page with more pictures, videos and information if anyone wants me to invite them.

Soon we will also be looking for volunteers to take him on walks if you would like to help that way. And, of course, eventually he will need a home. He is a cocker mix, about 1-2 years old. Currently he weighs only 8 kg, but once he recuperates, I am guessing he will be more around 13-15.

http://gandalfperro.chipin.com/gandalf-the-dog
Attachments
PICT5734-2.jpg
PICT5734-2.jpg (141.09 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

StrawberryHeartsForever

Re: Just in case anyone wants to help

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:48 pm

My heart just breaks it really does. I still can not believe the extent of mal treatment of dogs here, and regardless of whether you like dogs or not because they poop everywhere etc etc, it is not their fault and there is no justification for this. Unfortunately I am not in a position to adopt this dog as we already have four living with my suegra on our parcela. However, I would be more than happy to take this dude for walks when the time arises. I am not working at the minute so have all the time in the world and don't live too far from the vetenary clinic. Please get in touch when that time comes.

California South

Post by California South » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am

We can't save the world.
But to help the innocent of any species, to the best of our ability, who "coincidentally" cross our path is noble.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something.
- Henry David Thoreau
Thank you for this effort, G.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57 am

I got a few donations last night that judging by the names look like they came from here. So, thanks Kathleen and William. It is much appreciated.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 am

And also to Robert and Samantha :D .

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:52 pm

We went to visit Gandalf today. He definitely was feeling better today. He had more energy and got up out of his bed in the kennel to wag his tail and say hi. He is very itchy, due to the mange and the treatment, so after visiting us he went back to his bed to scratch a bit.
Attachments
PICT5759-2.jpg
PICT5759-2.jpg (71.73 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:29 pm

bump for the Friday night crowd :D

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:23 am

Bless his heart and all those caring for him.
Scout's Honor

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Updated picture from today. I went to visit him and paid 70.000 towards his vet bills. His hair is growing and he was moving his tail like crazy. The vet thinks he must have suffered a lot of abuse, due to the way he reacts when people try to pat his head, poor guy.
Attachments
PICT5783.JPG
PICT5783.JPG (77.14 KiB) Viewed 2421 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 05, 2012 9:13 am

looking good.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 05, 2012 9:25 am

gringalais, pm me. I'm in for 20,000 on the next vet bill or whatever he might need.

Come on you cheapskates. someone is doing something good. Skip that extra bottle of crappy wine at dinner tonight for the pup.

My father was infamous for wading in to rush hour traffic to rescue strays that were lost or hit by a car, and then running up vet bills to put them back together. He had a running account with his vet just for all the strays he picked up.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:16 pm

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

:cry:
"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money bets against 6000 years of recorded human history." - Charles de Gaulle