any bomberos here?

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Andres

any bomberos here?

Post by Andres » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Is anyone on this forum a bombero?

If you are, I'd like to ask you some questions.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Re: any bomberos here?

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:27 pm

This being mostly an expat forum, you will be hard pressed to find one working as a bombero. Patagoniax is a great cataloguer of fires however if his latest posted pics are any indication. Most are volunteers and if they do get paid Chileans see it as a vocation and not as a job that would pay what a nurse or teacher makes.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 pm

It's actually funny you bring this up. I was considering/looking into volunteering.
Living the life!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:06 am

I'm not but my son is a member of the Santiago 14th.
It's all about the wine.

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:04 pm

El Chupacabra wrote:It's actually funny you bring this up. I was considering/looking into volunteering.
you going to pee on the fires to put them out?

Hightower

Post by Hightower » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm

deleted
If you were born to hang, you will never drown

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 am

patagoniax wrote:
trabajo en progreso wrote:
El Chupacabra wrote:It's actually funny you bring this up. I was considering/looking into volunteering.
you going to pee on the fires to put them out?
I am certain he would be damned good at it, too.

hmmm wouldn't enjoy being his bed mate... :shock: :lol:

Andres

what to bring to exchange with Stgo bomberos?

Post by Andres » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:48 am

nwdiver wrote:I'm not but my son is a member of the Santiago 14th.
NWDIVER,

My query is probably best directed to you, to pass on to your son.

My reason for seeking out any bomberos on this forum is:
I am volunteer firefighter with the New South Wales Rural Fire Service. It is custom that when a firefighter visits another country/state/region, they visit a local fire station and gives them a momento (small gift) from his fire brigade or station or organization. My daughter and I will visit Santiago this (southern) summer. I am curious what Chilean bomberos usually exchange, and what momento they would probably prefer to receive, e.g. a patch, a T-shirt?

I'd like to get a couple of T-shirts with "bombero" on them, but I don't know whether they have them.

I noticed that your son's fire station is in the suburb next to Vitacura, where we will be staying while visiting Santiago. So his station might be the most convenient for me to visit.

Re native English-speakers in a bombero company: I probably would not volunteer as a bombero after emigrating. Not understanding what is being said "in the heat of the moment" (bad joke) would be like having a deaf-mute running around a fireground. Not exactly a safe practice.

Andrew/Andrés
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm

The 14th is the British and Commonwealth Company. Only a few speak English, but they are always welcoming to fire fighters from abroad. They are a volunteer company as are all the fire halls in Chile, with the younger guys living in for 1 week a month. Most of the young guys are University students. Their new hall is 3-4 years old, with a pool on the 3rd floor off the formal club room, the pool is for training in water rescues ;) The Company was started by the headmaster of the Grange school. Their fire commander is Princess Anne. They collect patches and other memorabilia.
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 pm

hey, guys hands off the bomberos. Poke fun at the construction guys, the banking guys, or just guys in general in Chile, but the bombero are sacred in Chile and on this forum. Anyone that runs in to a burning building in their spare time for free, deserves a little respect (either that or they are all crazy).

We worked with them a lot after the earthquake, and everywhere we went in the disaster zone the bomberos were there when no one else was there to help.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Well said admin.

I might add when you see them with the (beer) boot out drop in a 5k note, it's all about the karma.
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:42 pm

There are a lot of other ways to help them out too.

They also do raffles to raise money, normally for a new car or something.

The father of one of the young attorneys that worked for us is a bombero. Every year a I buy a few dozen raffle tickets off her or the whole book when she is helping her father raise money for them. I figure it is hell of bargain, compared to paying thousands of dollars in property tax (that the firefighters likely would never see anyway).

We have a friend that had a chimney fire. The bomberos were there in mins and put it out. Later she seen the same guys one day buying stuff for an asado for the local bombero station at the grocery store. So she paid for all their asado stuff including the beer and meat.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.