Too old for English Opens Doors, but like concept.

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
FrankPintor

Re: Too old for English Opens Doors, but like concept.

Post by FrankPintor » Tue May 10, 2011 11:53 pm

Valdivia is beautiful, especially in summer. Summer was on a Wednesday this year :mrgreen:

Sorry Gloria :lol: Seriously, though, the damp cold for much of the year would not be good for bad knees. Dry and warm is what you want from that perspective, and that means Santiago (in a well-insulated apartment) or further north.

While you can get a lot further with this forum than with others, you're still going to have to budget time and money for an exploratory trip, over 4-8 weeks, to see what it's really like and if you can deal with it. It will take considerable time and effort to plan the trip, and once there, get set up with internet and phone in the country, make and reschedule appointments with potential employers, travel to the various places you're interested in... I'd guess that most people on this forum have spent several years making trips to Chile before deciding to take the plunge.

Plus, you're at a huge disadvantage without Spanish. "Once I learn Spanish" is not going to happen easily, maybe not even in 1-2 years. In the meantime, very few Chileans speak enough English to hold a conversation, and pointing at things you want to buy will wear thin soon. That might make it sound like a good place to start teaching, but for everyday living it's not going to be easy. And if that's true for Chile, it will be true in spades in Ecuador, where I would expect basic services to be much more unreliable.

I don't want to rain on your parade but it's a big step and needs to be planned accordingly.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

JvG

Post by JvG » Wed May 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Thank all of you for the insight.

What I have learned is that without much knowledge of Spanish, formal teaching of English would not be feasable. By the time my Spanish would be up to speed, my (anticipated) investment growth might make working unneccessary. However, for future income, it would still make sense.

Patagoniax has introduced me to some interesting options. Thanks for that.

Warmer climate for old knees.... interesting concept.

Gloria, I looked up rainfall for Valdivia. Portland Oregon gets 36 inches of rain a year. Valdivia gets several times that. !!! I am tired of all the rain here, and I am 70 miles inland. Our coastal city, Astoria, gets about 80 inches. Valdivia seems to get twice what Astoria gets.... Valdivia seems like a nice place to visit though.

So many options, so many choices.

Thank you.

waves

Post by waves » Wed May 11, 2011 4:12 pm

We're moving to La Serena for a few months and also live (currently) in a climate with too much annual rain here on the west coast of Canada (although only 24 inches compared to your 40!). La Serena though....8! Just 8 inches per year!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 pm

JvG wrote:Thank all of you for the insight.

What I have learned is that without much knowledge of Spanish, formal teaching of English would not be feasable. By the time my Spanish would be up to speed, my (anticipated) investment growth might make working unneccessary. However, for future income, it would still make sense.

Patagoniax has introduced me to some interesting options. Thanks for that.

Warmer climate for old knees.... interesting concept.

Gloria, I looked up rainfall for Valdivia. Portland Oregon gets 36 inches of rain a year. Valdivia gets several times that. !!! I am tired of all the rain here, and I am 70 miles inland. Our coastal city, Astoria, gets about 80 inches. Valdivia seems to get twice what Astoria gets.... Valdivia seems like a nice place to visit though.

So many options, so many choices.

Thank you.
I'm not in any way a Tourism Ambassador therefore I'll not get into weather statistics or try to convince you that Valdivia is what you are looking you for. The only thing I'll add is : we live 24/7/365 in the countryside and the rain fall is enough to keep the green landscape looking gorgeous, full of life with an occasional rainbow. For the past years, we haven't experienced the rainfall that so many in the area used to talk about. I wouldn't live anywhere else.Love to see greenery everywhere not just few little brown bushes and dry soil as it is up north of Santiago. Don't care much about living by the coast. But, that's me.
Anyhow, Chile is a long country that offers different climates so it's up to you to find the proper and comfortable place to live and for that you must visit and experience on your own. We made 2 trips before deciding where we wanted to settle down and lots of research..and by the way....spanish chilensis is a must, no "ands or buts" about it!
With regard to your bad knees, a good dosage of minerals, vitamins, a healthy diet ought to fix that. :wink:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:14 pm

What I have learned is that without much knowledge of Spanish, formal teaching of English would not be feasable.
Not at all. Some language institutes FORBID the use of Spanish while teaching English in their classrooms. The problem with not having a functional level of Spanish is not with the job, it is with everything else that you have to do, like cashing those little checks you''ll be getting.

dfjordan

Post by dfjordan » Thu May 12, 2011 9:39 pm

cali_chile48 wrote:
What I have learned is that without much knowledge of Spanish, formal teaching of English would not be feasable.
Not at all. Some language institutes FORBID the use of Spanish while teaching English in their classrooms. The problem with not having a functional level of Spanish is not with the job, it is with everything else that you have to do, like cashing those little checks you''ll be getting.

You´re right; when I worked at Berlitz a few years back, they loved the idea that my Spanish was bad as it meant the students had no choice but to try their English if they wanted to ask a question. The most important thing for them was to find native speakers an not Chileans who had become fluent in English.

direct

Post by direct » Fri May 13, 2011 5:48 pm

patagoniax wrote:
JvG wrote:My hobbies include car repair and house rehabbing, .
Too bad your knees have gone bad. Patagoniax has a temporary room for a decent handyman-carpenter in southern Patagonia. Salmon fishing down the hill, views of the glaciers, etc. Not a bad gig.

Does that come with thermal underwear?

shilpa

Post by shilpa » Fri May 13, 2011 6:46 pm

I am currently working for this program. Also, last year I worked as a part time volunteer, and I really enjoyed it. I will write more about it soon.