Xmas charity/present drive?

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Lani123

Xmas charity/present drive?

Post by Lani123 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:20 am

Are there any organised present donation spots/drives on? I now there are a lot of poor people in Chile - and a whole lot more in neighbouring countries - and I would love to be involved. I donate presents every year in Australia and wonder if there are such causes here too, maybe through a church or NGO. Cheers

Steph

Re: Xmas charity/present drive?

Post by Steph » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Lani,

if you go to your local post office, there are usually letters on the wall or somewhere displayed, letters written by a child in need. You choose one, and deliver the gift personally (to the family). If you are not up to this, find your local Hogar de Cristo and donate a few toys or other things. Many local churches will also have ways of distributing anything you donate.

go play outside

Post by go play outside » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:13 pm

Last Christmas I had a bunch of kid stuff to give away and got in touch with the local orphanages and a couple of jardines in poor neighborhoods. It was such an eye opener that I put the word out and we ended up getting 3 camioneta loads of donations for them. So I would suggest, just do it yourself, choose a place, and enlist friends and local businesses (with a donation box) to get more donations. This was small town southern Chile but am sure in Santiago there are plenty of places to choose from, schools etc.

Lani123

Post by Lani123 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks for the tips. I was actually wondering where my local post office was! I haven't seen any POs as such. I will look into the charity options via a church etc. Prob is, I don't speak Spanish so probably wouldn't even recognise a charity letter if I saw one ;) Cheers

go play outside

Post by go play outside » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:37 am

you could also look at contacting the international association of chile (iac) they have a strong charity arm and maybe someone there could advise you. but yeah failing that, drop stuff into a church. only prob is if you don't do it yourself, there are no guarantees that it will get where you would like it to!

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:24 pm

The IAC (International Association of Chile) did indeed have a collection for toys for an hogar, but those were just delivered, I think.

Likewise, Santiago Community Church had "gift tags" for over 160 children from low-income communas, but those were all taken last Sunday. Those toys won't be delievered until next week, however, so if you wanted to throw in some "generic" toys (futbols, art materials, etc.) for a youth center we support in Cerro Navia, those would be welcome and we will deliver them mid-week. PM me for more information.