Electrical dams

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
oregon woodsmoke

Electrical dams

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Just curious. Are there no rivers close to Santiago that could be used for electricity generation? It seems it would be much more economical to generate the power closer to where it is being used.

Apparently, electricity can be moved quite a distance. Oregon sells clean electricity to California and that travels quite a distance. But still, close means less miles of expensive power lines.

It's Chile's business and not mine, but I live in a state with lots of hydro dams, and I don't see the problem. They make very nice lakes. Water comes in the top and goes out the downhill side, so the rivers are still running. The power lines make useful fire breaks (or are there never any forest fires in Chile?). Wildlife makes good use of the cleared area to graze. Electrical road maintenance roads are invaluable for fire fighting.

I'd rather see hydropower than coal fired or gas fired generating plants.

I don't have anything against modern nuclear power plants, but I'd rather see hydropower.

Solar is still not sufficiently developed and it is very expensive. Wind power is rather expensive and it kills both birds and fish. Tidal power looks promising, but still developmental. Hydropower is clean, safe, and not dangerous to wildlife, as long as adequate fish ladders are installed.

nwdiver

Re: Electrical dams

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:43 pm

The Bio Bio river complex is done.
Now they have to go south for big water.
As pointed out what fish do Wind Turbines kill???? The new slow RPM ones don't kill birds.
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Electrical dams

Post by admin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Yea, it is called the Bio Bio. Already dammed.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.