Give Blood

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Kathi

Give Blood

Post by Kathi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:44 am

For those who live in or near Santiago and want an easy way to donate blood - on Wednesday, March 3 from 10:00am - 3:00pm Organizacion Humaniza will be doing a Blood Drive with the International Association of Chile at their house at Avda. Chesterton 7579 in Las Condes (not far from Los Dominicos and on the new metro line). They had one last year and everything very professional, very sterile, ON-TIME, friendly - and good snacks! Requirements for giving blood include bring carnet or passport, be more than 18 and less than 65 years old, weigh more than 50 kilos and be in good health. You cannot give blood if you are pregnant, you have had hepatitis since age 12, you gave blood less than three months ago, you have diabetes, untreated hypertension, HIV-AIDS or syphilis. Don't take an aspirin for three days before you donate, and have something to eat before you come. They will take three people every 20 minutes, starting at 10:20am. Contact me if you would like to sign up.

thegringoshow

Re: Give Blood

Post by thegringoshow » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Kathi

I will gather up some of our I Love Chile staff and interns and make the trip to the IAC, I am not sure how many just yet but I will shoot you a list after we have our weekly staff meeting.

Thanks for letting us know about this. As you know my wife was assaulted and robbed back in January when she was 8 1/2 month pregnant and needed emergency surgery after the delivery. We needed blood and found that the system here is lets just say much different then other systems in the northern hemisphere.

I hope anyone else that is in Santiago on the day will pop in to donate.

All the best

Dan
Daniel H. Brewington | Chairman & CEO
“Promoting Chile in English and English in Chile”
11 Septiembre 1881, Of: 1912, Providencia, Santiago, Chile
Office: +562-2946-1868
Twitter@ilovechile | Facebook @ILCnews
http://www.ilovechile.cl

Steph

Post by Steph » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Dan - sorry to hear of your wife's emergency "back in January"- really not that long ago at all, I hope that it has all turned out well for you now. Without going into personal detail, can you expand on the differences in the blood donor situation? We are not in Santiago so cannot participate in the Blood Drive, but certainly would if I could - thanks to Kathi for the information. I hope there is a big turn out for the blood drive.

thingit

Post by thingit » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Unfortunately blood donation seems to be a little more difficult here than back home. The one issue many people have had when trying to donate blood for Dan's wife was the question: "Have you been in a stable relationship for the past year?" Answer no and they refuse your blood, because, well, you just know us single people' run around giving each other herpes and what not. The easy loophole here for people who know there blood is fine is to just say they're in a relationship.

Issue #2 was medication. If you're on anything, even painkillers, they are likely to refuse your blood. You could double-check if they'll still take the blood and you might get lucky.

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for the support, Dan. We still have lots of slots open (hoping to have 30 people - we have 12) so please spread the word about donating - thanks!

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:51 pm

I just heardfrom Marcia Tabak from Organizacion Humaniza. She got a call from the Minister of Health, who said that they need many of her workers to go to Concepcion and the surrounding areas. Therefore, they CANNOT come to the IAC house on Wednesday.

HOWEVER, they are located in Providencia at 0115 Vitacura in the former Military Hospital (the hospital fills the block that includes Avda. Holanda and Providencia). Marcia says that they are open from 8:00am - 7:00pm Monday through Friday, and that if you let her know you are coming, she will have an English speaker at the door to greet you (for those of you who are concerned about your lack of Spanish). There is parking right at the entrance on Vitacura and a sign that either says "Banco de Sangre" or "Humaniza". She was very apologetic about the inconvenience, but I reassured her that we completely understood. She would like to reschedule soon at the house, so if you prefer to wait a month or so and give blood at the IAC house, the need will be great then, too!!! Please contact me with any questions or concerns.

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:58 pm

The Blood Drive has been re-scheduled for Friday, April 16 from 10:00am - 3:00pm at the house of the International Association of Chile, Avda. Chesterton 7579. Organizacion Humaniza, a top-notch organization here in Santiago, will bring beds, nurses, sterile supplies - everything you expect from a well-run blood donation site (including English-speakers!!). We will take three donors every 20 minutes beginning at 10:00am and ending at 2:40pm. Requirements for giving blood include:
- bring carnet or passport
- be more than 18 and less than 65 years old
- weigh more than 50 kilos
- be in good health

You cannot give blood if you are pregnant, you have had hepatitis since age 12, you gave blood less than three months ago, you have diabetes, untreated hypertension, HIV-AIDS or syphilis. Don't take an aspirin for three days before you donate, and have something to eat before you come. Contact Kathi Bubb to sign up or if you have any questions (233-7557 or kathi@santiagochurch.org). We hope to have 30 donors, so friends and family are welcome.

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 pm

AAAUUUGGGHHH!! I sent out the wrong date - it's MONDAY, APRIL 19 from 10:00am - 3:00pm - everything else is right (I hope!!!). :oops:

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:34 am

It's probably tacky to reply to your own post, but I wanted to make sure that everyone saw the NEW DATE for giving blood on Monday, April 19 from 10:00am - 3:00pm - that's next week, and we don't have very many signed up. PLEASE share this information with friends in Santiago - there is always a need for blood. Check the earlier post for details, and contact me to sign up.