Protect Birds From Cats

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Chuck J 3.0

Re: Protect Birds From Cats

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:44 pm

My cat Pedrito tried to catch a bird one time, but he was too slow. His heart wasn't in it anyway, he just wanted to lay in the sun. :D

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Where can I send my donation -- on behalf of the cats? :alien:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 pm

ALL BIRDS MUST DIE!!!!
A horror story by Admin

My cat started off killing anything it could find. We no longer for instance have any rats or rabbits within about at least a km of our house. After a year or so she started getting progressively fatter and lazier. She was never any good at catching birds however.

Unfortunately, I could really use a few good cats to kill the noisy Ibis (think they are ibis, and two others types) that hold a convention at the corner of my block (10 meters from my bedroom window) between 4 and 6 AM every morning on the concrete in the middle of the intersection. They are not pleasant sounding little sparrows either. They are big, ugly, and make a loud deep honking sound like a car horn. They just stand there and honk at each other for like 2 hours every morning. When they are all going it has got to be over 60 or more decibels with 5-10 of them honking at the same time.

Seems Socovesa built our development and more specifically our house on top of a nesting ground, then failed to serve the previous owners a proper eviction notice. They even named the streets after them, as if it was some sort of sick joke. I thought they might just move away over time as there is a nice horse pasture just about 100 meters away. The real estate agent even mentioned it use to be a nesting ground, but I never put two and two together as to what that really meant. I kind of thought, "that is so sad, they likly wiped out a bunch of pretty birds to build the house" sort of thing. How could they?

The Birds' Revenge

The birds did not get wiped out, and they have been taking their revenge on the neighborhood for two years (it is like the bird version of the poltergeist movie). I doubt there is many people in my neighborhood that has ever slept pass 6 AM. They are obviously Chilean birds because when they have a grievance, they take it to the street to protest and never quit.

I think I am currently stuck with taking matters in to my own hands, as my cat is broken. I am shopping for a good pellet gun. I figure at 4 am in the morning when they start, I can quietly pop them from my window and the only thing my neighbors should notice is that they got a few more extra hours sleep. There is about 8-10 of them, and it should take me a little over a week to end that twig sticking out of the evolutionary tree once and for all. I love animals and nature and all, but the noisy, ugly, honking birds in front of my house MUST DIE!!!!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:02 am

Earplugs, Charles.

Stoph

Post by Stoph » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:30 am

A little bird, with a yellow bill,
Perched upon my window sill.
I lured him nearer,
With crumbs of bread,
And slammed the window on his head!

~ Charles (displaying the wrong attitude)

Did you think it was Pablo Neruda?

Come! And in the fire of Spring,
Your winter garment of repentence fling.
For the Bird of Time has but a little way to fly,
and Lo! That bird is on the wing!

~ Omar Khayyam (displaying the correct attitude)

Caballeros, birds were here from the beginning. Cats were imported from Hell. No more sleeping till Noon for you slackers who don't get up in the morning.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm

I guess it depends on the size of the bird. The bigger birds don't have to worry about cats, they have to worry about the dogs. I have seen a few dead birds around the yard. Mostly a bunch of feathers is all that is left. They are the kind of bird that a cat (not a puma) normally wouldn't mess with since they are bigger. Might be the noisy birds that Charles mentioned.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Stoph wrote:A little bird, with a yellow bill,
Perched upon my window sill.
I lured him nearer,
With crumbs of bread,
And slammed the window on his head!

~ Charles (displaying the wrong attitude)

Did you think it was Pablo Neruda?

Come! And in the fire of Spring,
Your winter garment of repentence fling.
For the Bird of Time has but a little way to fly,
and Lo! That bird is on the wing!

~ Omar Khayyam (displaying the correct attitude)
The mysterious Time is not a Bird!
The flying Bird is not a Word!
Just look -- there is nowhere to fly!
And in the Spring -- clear is the Sky!..

~ Rune (displaying the Chookcha attitude)

:alien:

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:52 pm

el puelche wrote:The account indicates that practically all birds have been exterminated by packs of homeless cats.
Dear Don Puelche:

Cats eating birds -- where is there a problem?.. :)

BTW: Do you eat birds? Or maybe their eggs? Chicken? Ducks?..

Idea! :idea: Let's kill all the Cats! Should we shoot them? Or maybe poison them?..

Yet another idea! :idea: Let's buy cats food for our cats! But. Do they need some soy to produce it?.. Do they need a big big field to grow the soy?.. Will some forest be gone, then?.. Together with the birds, right?.. What?.. Not so?.. :alien:

Do you wear a robe?.. :)

Me -- not. Just lead pants.. and a tinfoil hat.. :alien:

thingit

Post by thingit » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:48 pm

admin wrote: Unfortunately, I could really use a few good cats to kill the noisy Ibis (think they are ibis, and two others types) that hold a convention at the corner of my block (10 meters from my bedroom window) between 4 and 6 AM every morning on the concrete in the middle of the intersection. They are not pleasant sounding little sparrows either. They are big, ugly, and make a loud deep honking sound like a car horn. They just stand there and honk at each other for like 2 hours every morning. When they are all going it has got to be over 60 or more decibels with 5-10 of them honking at the same time.
What you need is a hawk. We had a pigeon and ibis problem in my native city of Brisbane, Australia. The hired a guy with a hawk and he let the hawk out for a few hours each day- the ibis and pigeons were piss scared and buggered off.

Word of advice: never feed and ibis, not even once, not even by accident. One morsel of food given by you and you will never see the end of them.