Protect Cats From Dogs

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
jehturner

Re: Protect Cats From Dogs

Post by jehturner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:50 am

oregon woodsmoke wrote:Sad fact of life: the lifespan of outdoor cats is short. That's probably true worldwide.
Not necessarily. In Britain many people have cats wandering around freely all their lives until they die naturally from old age. Being run over etc. is the exception rather than the rule (though it did happen to one of our cats there -- his brother at my parents will be 20 this year, by the way). People do seem very careless with cats in Chile though.
oregon woodsmoke wrote:The way to keep a beloved cat safe is to make it an indoor only cat.
I almost burst out laughing the first time someone from the US mentioned the term "indoor cat". Good luck keeping any cat I have had indoors! Are there also indoor lions and cheetahs? We had an American friend with a cat that didn't go out and it was (coincidentally or not) a complete nut case.

Cheers,

James.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:15 pm

jehturner wrote:
gringalais wrote:This cat needs no protection.
That's a cool cat. It's a bit like our smallest one.
Thanks, in theory I am supposed to be finding her a home, she's a rescue. But she is adorable that I am trying to convince my husband we should keep her. Plus, the dog will be very sad if she is rehomed. She has completely adopted the kitten as her own daughter.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Oh, too late! Yes, that's what happened with our grey kitten. The neighbour brought her one night after his dog nearly ate her and no-one ever came looking for her. She was too nice to throw out again (but 3 cats really is the limit! unless Fish ever turns up, of course, but it's been 2 years...).

James.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:03 pm

James, just to make sure I understand. What I'm hearing you say is that you've had one cat run over and another disappear? .............. ? So that's considered safe care? (am I drawing the wrong conclusion, here?)

Yes, actually, all lions and cheetahs in the USA are very carefully confined to keep them safe from harm. I've been all over England and Scotland and I never saw a lion or cheetah rummaging in a rubbish bin, crossing the road alone at night, or sitting on a fence post. I just sort of assumed that they were kept confined, but I'm willing to admit that they might be allowed to roam free, and I just never saw one.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 pm

What about traitors?

Seriously. I had a street dog that was a notorious cat killer in Guatemala. He was friends with the cat that lived in our office. It only had three feet. So they would get together and kill other cats. It would go up on the roof of the building by climbing a ladder, pick fights with the other cats, and then lead them down the ladder in to the court yard where the big German Sheppard type mix was hiding in the Bushes at the bottom of the ladder. The Sheppard would spring out kill the cat before it knew what happened, then the resident cat would hobble back up the ladder to lure in another victim.

Personally I think it was a revenge killings, because the other roof top cats would come in at night and eat her food and only having three legs had no other way to defend against them.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:Seriously, do dogs eat cats?
Of course, dogs do eat cats. Surely, they do. Hence, this very topic was started. Though cats hearing is great, and their power of perception is extraordinary -- dogs catch and eat cats. Catch and eat. Dogs eat cats all the way. All the time. We are all here to stop that.
perdimonocle-19

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Also, it is obvious to me that those forum members who are boycotting this topic -- they eat cats (I think, regularly, or at least from time to time). And what is even more dangerous: one of the famous Chilean alchemists (a.k.a. eeuu) episodically makes cats from dogs (using some magical tricks), and later, consumes the cats produced that way.
perdimonocle-19

Stoph

Post by Stoph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:53 pm

I stand corrected... my comment was flippant... I also have noticed the cats have a tough time in Chile... and would like to see them get help.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:30 pm

admin wrote:It would go up on the roof of the building by climbing a ladder, pick fights with the other cats, and then lead them down the ladder in to the court yard where the big German Sheppard type mix was hiding in the Bushes at the bottom of the ladder.
What an evil cat!
oregon woodsmoke wrote:James, just to make sure I understand. What I'm hearing you say is that you've had one cat run over and another disappear?
During my lifetime, yes. That seems unlucky given the experience of other friends and family, but it's true that the risk for cats seems higher in Chile than in Britain (maybe not than parts of the US).
oregon woodsmoke wrote:I've been all over England and Scotland and I never saw a lion or cheetah rummaging in a rubbish bin, crossing the road alone at night, or sitting on a fence post. I just sort of assumed that they were kept confined, but I'm willing to admit that they might be allowed to roam free, and I just never saw one.
Very funny. There's a small side issue there which started to put people off letting them out at night. Yes, theft from the local fish shop at clawpoint. Or was it mauling people? One or the other.

I don't believe that cats can be happily locked up in a house. I know perfectly well what my cats would decide given the choice. In fact, they know perfectly well that there are dangerous things outside, but they still go out (and come back) because that is what cats do. We've kept them confined for a week or two, eg. when we moved, and I can tell you it's hard work.

James.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:55 pm

The last lunar month of this year, the year of the Cow, just started (yesterday, actually). The year of the Tiger is coming. On the 14th day of February it starts. Though the Tiger is not exactly the cat, but.. Say, a big cat.. Not a dog, anyway. A big big cat.
perdimonocle-19

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:The last lunar month of this year, the year of the Cow, just started (yesterday, actually). The year of the Tiger is coming. On the 14th day of February it starts. Though the Tiger is not exactly the cat, but.. Say, a big cat.. Not a dog, anyway. A big big cat.
Is it a wise tiger or a stupid tiger? :mrgreen:

James.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Well, seriously, James, here is a good test for your cat. Do you have a carpet? Then make a roll, diameter -- around 15 or 20 cm, so your cat can move freely inside and out. Make a roll right away! And then see what happens. If your cat is the right cat -- then after a couple of hours it will sit inside, and attack all and everything that is passing or moving near the "entrance".
perdimonocle-19